Honest question. What has Harlan done as AD to make Utah athletics better

Viewing 7 reply threads
      3 1

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

since CH retired? I am far from in the know so hopefully there is more to it. Has Harlan been riding the coattials of Chris Hill’s hard work?

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Implemented 100% curtains in the Huntsman Center. 

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

I think that was a message to Larry K. and the fans that are calling for Larry’s job.

Ute Bc
      Ute Fan
      @utebc

He’s raised a ton of money for the South end zone project.

Why? What do you want him to do?

User Suspended
        @a2ute

Utah “settled” . Someone who can toe the company line…maybe raise some money,  certainly not a Dr. Chris Hill 

1 5

pedro
        Ute Fan
        @pedro

Has he?  By raised, you mean ticket prices.  Oh, and BTW, they are having a hard time selling all of these new seats in the Garff party zone or whatever they are calling it.  Harlan does not understand the Utah fan base and IMHO has done nothing to improve the state of Utah athletics save paying the assistants more.  He’s driving fans away with ever increasing prices in tickets, parking and concourse offerings.  Not a fan.

UrbanLiar
          Ute Fan
          @urbanliar

Source for your statement of hard time selling SEZ seats? Bull$hit. They’re on track and hitting their projected sales rates as of today.

pedro
            Ute Fan
            @pedro

That isn’t what my agent up there is saying.  I could call him I guess and ask if I could quote him, but since you didn’t offer a source either, I’ll wait.

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

Fact of life. Ticket sales are lagging because of Coronavirus, not because of anything he’s done.

Ute Bc
          Ute Fan
          @utebc

He has sold every single suite in the South End Zone.  If you thought that doing a MAJOR renovation of our stadium would not result in higher ticket prices I don’t know what to tell you.  Chris Hill knew it was coming as well – that’s just basic economics.  The stadium will be sold out again, barring a complete economic catastrophe and certain fans will be priced out.  That’s just how it is everywhere – except Provo – they can’t give that ticket away.  

pedro
            Ute Fan
            @pedro

I didn’t say anything about the suites…. Seats though…

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

Arkansas, Florida, and LSU.  Home and Home.

pedro
        Ute Fan
        @pedro

First, Arkasas shouldn’t be regarded so highly by Utah fans.  2nd, we’ll see if the other two make it to completion.  My money is on no.

2 6

Trailgoat
          Ute Fan
          @utahgoat

Agree. Arkansas is Meh. Florida connection with Mullen and BJ probably sealed the deal with Florida. LSU is a decade away. Hell, Pace may be coach by then and Utah could be in the same conference as LSU in 10 years :)! Highly doubt LSU will stick.

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

Well Pace seems to have all the answers on how to recruit better. Maybe he should be given a job in the football program.

3 2

Utesbyfive
              Ute Fan
              @utesbyfive

Pace is a nattering nabob of negativism. Ignore him please.

3 4

User Suspended
                @a2ute

Dude, you cancel culturing me!

Central Coast Ute
                  Ute Fan
                  @flip2848

I have to agree with you there Pace, I don’t ignore you because although I don’t agree with you a lot of time, I don’t believe in silencing people.

PhiladelphiaUte
          Ute Fan
          @philadelphiaute

Arkansas should be regarded a LOT higher than any of our weak SOS, small-ball, FCS and midmajor opponents we fans have been suffering through over the years.

Harlan has done a fairly decent job of scheduling P5 opponents, and a poor job of getting the tdS off our schedule.  He’s too new to judge right now.

5 1

Utesbyfive
            Ute Fan
            @utesbyfive

It’s not his fault we can’t stop playing BYU. Blame that on the Greg Hughes types of the state. Too married to the “rivalry” to see the detriment to the state’s flagship football program.

PhiladelphiaUte
              Ute Fan
              @philadelphiaute

It IS his fault.  Greg Hughes is out of the churchislature, but that didn’t stop Harlan from scheduling another series with the tdS.  He’s new to Utah, and is making decisions based on how Utah USED to view our little brother.  Prior to 2011, they were one of the biggest — if not THE biggest — game on our schedule.  Back then, the rivalry was real.  But by 2014, it wasn’t anymore.  And they’ve become less and less interesting to us as each year passes.  Personally, if we HAD to play an instate opponent, I’d rather play Utah St.  At least THEY’RE in a conference, and a win over a MWC team is a bigger win than an indy-irrelevant WAC one that regularly struggles against MAC teams.

And for the record, Utah should never play FCS teams.  Utah should never play more than 6 games per decade vs. instate opponents.  And that’s COMBINED 6; not 6 vs. ybU and 6 vs. USU.  Utah should ALWAYS have at least 1 P5 opponent, 1 opponent from a target-rich recruiting area (i.e. CA, TX, LA, AL, FL, GA), and either 1 MWC opponent, Army, Navy, or an AAC team in a large metropolitan area (where we might be able to entice some new recruits/recruiting pipelines) — preferably on the east coast, thus offering an attractive “east coast” time zone kickoff.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Arkansas sure beats Wyoming or Northern Illinois any day.

3 1

Ute Bc
          Ute Fan
          @utebc

If you don’t think Arkansas is an upgrade to our OOC schedule I don’t know what to say…

3 5

User Suspended
      @a2ute

My take… kissing @ss and cashing checks…. nothing more.

Hellhound152
        Ute Fan
        @hellhound152

Like any great administrator!

User Suspended
          @a2ute

great? or average

Hellhound152
            Ute Fan
            @hellhound152

Based on the current climate of athletic departments nationally?

2 4

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

What do you want him to do????

Clean house fire every coach?

90% of His job is to shake hands kiss babies and raise money and He’s done that in spades.

He’s not firing whit. Larry will be fired after this season. Let’s fire the ski Coach I think he just won a NC.

Baseball should be dropped in my opinion.

So let’s here it from you geniuses what he should be doing differently

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

He’s raising tons of money, which is probably going to be the difference between survival of the athletic department and its demise.

Chris Hill may be the AD who brought Utah athletics to life, but Mark Harlan is going to go down in history as the one who keeps it alive.

User Suspended
        @a2ute

good take

pedro
        Ute Fan
        @pedro

I keep hearing this, I would like to see the proof.  

3 7

AZUteFan
      Ute Fan
      @azutefan

Valid question about Harlan.  It’s probably too early to tell.  And while he may be doing great things in fundraising (which is news to me) here is one area of concern:

Listen to what our rivals opinion is of the guy…they love Harlan.  When your rival fan base approves of your AD/football coach/basketball coach, it is usually because he isn’t very good at his job…

We were lucky to have Dr. Hill for as long as we did.  Big shoes for anyone to fill. 

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

But why do they think he’s doing a good job? Because he’s scheduling them? So did Chris Hill and I don’t think the Utah AD, no matter who it is has a choice. Or is it because he has a good sense of humor when it comes to he and Holmoe ribbing each other. Big deal. He’s been here for two years, has done a good job scheduling and fundraising. What else is he supposed to have done at this point?

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

It will be very interesting to see how he and the school acquit themselves with the Scalley controversy. I’ll respect him a lot more if there’s an honest accounting.

User Suspended
            @a2ute

he’s average. Don’t think he’s a P5 AD.  I’m guessing he’s a good @ss kisser…. looking to make bank and move on.

1 3

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

Agreed. My opinion may change after the investigation.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc Honest question. What has Harlan done as AD to make Utah athletics better