How does a program that prided itself on defense

Viewing 2 reply threads

MotherJabubu
      Ute Fan
      @motherjabubu

Be completely incapable of recruiting linebackers? Who is responsible for fielding these players? Why is the school shelling out millions of dollars between this coaches for this garbage?

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

to be fair, there haven’t been many “recruited” linebackers as starters over the last 6-8 years. Hanson was a QB, Lloyd was a safety, Bernard was a transfer, Sewell was a safety and a transfer. It’s not a new problem and the guys they’ve brought in the last couple of years have either moved on or are behind walk-ons, even though they have been highly rated.

At some point, recruiting misses are going to bite you in the ass and it is happening this year. Had Fotu not been a mission kid, this years LB crew could look a lot better. But you are right that when your leading tacklers are in the secondary, it is a HUGE problem.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Um…didn’t we graduate the best linebacker in the history of the school last year? Does he not count towards your assessment of “incapable of recruiting linebackers”? And did you think we would be able to replace our most talented linebacker ever that easily?

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

Do you mean this guy who was 6-4 215 as a recruit and considered a low 3 star safety?

Also known as the lowest rated recruit of the 2017 class. I’m glad he turned out to be great but let’s not pretend that it was a given that he would end up where he did.

GameForAnyFuss
          Ute Fan
          @gameforanyfuss

My point remains.

2008 National Champ
            Ute Fan
            @cptmrgn05

which is what, that sometimes lottery tickets pay off?

GameForAnyFuss
              Ute Fan
              @gameforanyfuss

See my original post. Was I in any way unclear about what my point was?
              1. We know how to recruit linebackers, and Lloyd proves it.
              2. Replacing the best linebacker in program history isn’t easy.

Hey, it looks like we just won. Pull that stick out of your ass and enjoy it!

2008 National Champ
                Ute Fan
                @cptmrgn05

no stick and i’m extremely happy that Utah won.

I’m still not seeing how your point was different than mine. Lloyd played Safety and Receiver in High School. There wasn’t anyone in the country, including the Utah staff, projecting him to be a first rounder at Linebacker in 2017. I’m glad he turned out to be what he was and he deserved every bit of it. But Lloyd beating the odds does not mean that Utah has some secret sauce when it comes to recruiting Linebackers.

I see it as the exception proving the rule which is that while Utah has had great LB’s over the last half-decade, they are not good at recruiting LB’s. Calvert, Calvert, Reynolds, Tufaga, Mata’afa are just a few names who have either done little to nothing in a Utah uniform or have moved on. Other than Cody Barton, who is the great Utah linebacker that came in out of high school at the position?

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football How does a program that prided itself on defense