How does everyone feel about Huntley pulling away from Cox as #2?

Viewing 5 reply threads

Kirk Herbstreet
      Ute Fan
      @mariolemute

Talk up on the hill right now, is that Huntley is playing with two’s. Is this good or bad?

I think its good in that Huntley will likely see some live game action this fall, which should help him mature as a player, and bad, in that he won’t get a redshirt year to learn and grow before being thrown into the thick of things.

What say you?

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I think it is a good thing, but hopefully an irrelevant thing. Ideally, you’d redshirt Huntley. Then, he can step in as a RS sophomore and take the team to victory.

Naming him as the second string, hopefully is in title only. That way, if Williams doesn’t get hurt, Huntley never plays and he redshirts even though he was the #2.

It wouldn’t shock me if Williams goes down for a play or a quarter or half if Cox comes in and plays. But if Williams were to miss games, you’d see the Huntley era begin.

One thing to not forget is that this is Williams’ last chance. He had one shot at Washington and didn’t succeed. If he loses his spot to Huntley or Cox, his career is over.

I don’t think you will see Williams willingly leave the game this year. He has too much at stake.

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

I think Cox is a great backup option. He has years in the system and knows it better than both Williams and Huntley. The coaches also know him better, they know what they can and cannot do with him if he does need to play and can draw up a game plan that suites his skill-set and ability. I’ll admit, it is worrisome that he never beat out Travis for the starter job. But I think you keep him as a #2.

Huntley, in my opinion, is too valuable to this team to waste by putting him in as a true freshman. Mostly, he needs the time to bulk up in the weight room. I worry that we put him in there, he’s not ready for the speed of the game, and he gets drilled and hurt. Huntley is the future of Utah football at this point, I don’t think it’s wise to risk throwing him to the wolves. Getting a few reps with the #2s in practice is fine; but I hope we keep Cox at #2 for the season.

Edit: Also, you don’t want to risk the chance that Cox transfers if you put Huntley at #2 on the depth chart. I know he’s said that he won’t ever transfer, but things change.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by KiYi-Ute.
      • This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by KiYi-Ute.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Also, isn’t talking about redshirts now kind of…I don’t know…unimportant? Redshirts aren’t official until the season ends, correct? So, who cares if you get redshirted now, you can play at any time and if you do play you can redshirt another year and if you don’t play, you just redshirt at the end of the season.

The coaches should be mindful of it so they don’t waste a kid’s year of eligibility, but we as fans…is it important right now.

CincyUte
      Ute Fan
      @cincyute

The issue is whether we should postpone Huntley’s career so he’s still eligible to play in 2020–

I think we have to expect that, between now and 2020, we’ll land some other capable QB recruits that we can groom and prepare to take the reigns at that time. I say don’t hesitate to play Huntley now if the need arises. We can worry about 2020 later.

KiYi-Ute
        Ute Fan
        @kiyi-ute

While I did say that Huntley is the future of Utah football (at least for the foreseeable future), and as awesome as it would be to have him be crushing it in 2020; I think you need to look at the well-being of the kid in addition to the program itself.

He graduated high school early, and right now he’s listed at 6’1” 178 pounds. Josh Rosen, by comparison is listed at 210 pounds. Playing him in practice and controlled scrimmages is one thing, but putting him out against P5 defenses? I think there is a serious risk for injury. Granted, football is a physical game and injuries are normal, but I think there’s a certain point where you say that the risk outweighs the reward.

I’m no coach. I haven’t even seen him play except for the scrimmage highlights. But I think you let him bulk up, let him develop, and put faith in Cox for a year in the event that Williams goes down with a serious injury.

iamthepreacher
      Ute Fan
      @iamthepreacher

I’m a little concerned with putting Cox in the game knowing that two guys who are brand new to the program (including a true freshman) came in and beat him out. Plus, last year he was not able to beat out Travis or Kendall Thompson. I’ve heard reports out of camp that he has a bad habit of floating way too many passes that will get picked off against good or even decent defenses, something he hasn’t been able to correct in his time at the U.

If we have to try to win a game with a backup, Huntley might be our best shot.

We’ve got good unproven talent at QB this year, but I’d say our QB depth overall is not yet where it needs to be.

noneyadb
        Ute Fan
        @noneyadb

“All in or in the way” correct?

Wouldn’t Whit be “in the way” if he isn’t giving his team the best chance to win?

Anonymous
        Inactive

I don’t care to look but I am fairly certain Cox wasn’t healthy to beat out Thompson or Wilson last season.  Hansen was in the mix heading into fall camp  as the three.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football How does everyone feel about Huntley pulling away from Cox as #2?