I am happy with not winning the PAC12 with Whittingham as the HC.

Viewing 5 reply threads
      1 1

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

This isn’t a fire Whittingham conversation, I don’t see a replacement doing anything better than what Whitt is already doing.

The offense is what it is. I think you had a great shot with Chow as your coordinator but it wasn’t meant to be.  Whittingham isn’t an offensive minded coach, he just isn’t. Somehow he can’t get it all together. You want to add in the injuries, misfortunes, OC merry go round, the calls not going your way whatever it just isn’t happening. 2008 he absolutely did it he beat the hell out of Bama in their back yard. He somehow orchestrated two improbable comebacks. Against Michigan you had calls go your way. Your senior leadership was amazing and the team had so much nfl talent. 2015 and 2016 you had the opposite happen with so many excuses.

2018 and 2019 are his last BEST chances.  He has the talent he has the right age in these classes that can all mature together. That is my expectation at least 8 wins the low end next year to even have hope to compete 2019. 

I think you gotta start looking for a Head Coach by then if it doesn’t happen. Be prepared for the drop off because Whitt is still one of the best.

Red Don
      Ute Fan
      @reddon

I do think he’s finally realized that he can’t do it with defense alone and has made a real effort to address the offense with the hiring of TT.  I believe we’ll see significant improvement next year.

1 1

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

OL has steadily improved since Harding took over. Something isn’t meshing this season though. Idk you can’t fix the RPO, if it was multiple lineman doing it I could maybe understand it being on Huntley. It is usually just one single guy wandering too far to put a hit on someone. 

ladyinred
          Ute Fan
          @ladyinred

IMO it is on Huntley. He will get it soon though, he is just still too slow making a decision now. Experience matters. Next year he’ll do better and we’ll go back to just false start penalties

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

This probably won’t be popular, but I think given the mind set of the head coach, perhaps we should move to a more ground and pound attack.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Mimic Stanford?  A school that has probably harder recruiting restrictions than Utah? You actually are not allowed to be stupid. Saying it for years Whitt wants the Spread for some reason. 

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

I’ll be all for mimicking Stanford when we recruit like Stanford. 

BYU is trying mimic Stanford. How’s that working out?

Whitt wants a QB who can run because that is the hardest offense to play against. 

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Hardest for his defense not necessarily in general. Hard to recruit that type of player and I also think health is always a liability. 

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

I’ve been wanting to do that type of offense for a long time.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

This talk is silly, especially after coming off three of Utah’s best six seasons ever. 

Just ridiculous. 

1 2

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Why is it ridiculous?  The body of work speaks for itself at some point. Just comparing Petersen’s rise and Whitts is interesting to me. Sort of similar paths except Petersen realized the limitations he faced at BSU. 

Love whitt but there will always be not his year because of QB health. How many times have we said that?  Just look at the entirety of his work. 

Edit: Excuses become reasons at some point.

1 1

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

The fact that you’d use Petersen as a comparison shows you aren’t fully versed on this subject. 

It’s a terrible comparison. 

Hell, you could easily argue that Whitt has accomplished just as much pre P5 with less and that Whitt has accomplished more overall post P5, in a much tougher situation. 

2 1

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Fully versed on the subject?  They are comparable because they both coach against eachother in the same league.  I am using him as a good example and lead in to this weeks game.  They both became head coaches in 2005, they both coached in a lower league and moved to a P5.  Petersen has the head to head 1-3, regardless of the what ifs and buts it is still 1-3.  The one quality of a zoob is to go back and asterisk every loss.  Every team deals with injuries and Whitt preaches next man up. It has been a mantra for years just listen to a Kall700 broadcast with Bo Nagahi.

What has exactly Whitt accomplished pre p5 that Petersen hasn’t?  What exactly has Whitt accomplished that Petersen hasn’t already done in less time? 

I also want you to give me evidence or facts that Whitt can field a P5 offense.  There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that this offense is trending upwards.  I am a bit of a fatalist in all this, I am not a troll I see nothing being talked about on his board and I want to discuss this issue.  

1 1

zeous
      Ute Fan
      @zeous

Is this poster another moose alter-ego?  Something smells like troll in these parts.

TexanUte
      Ute Fan
      @texanute

Utah has any recruiting restrictions? They accept 76 percent of all general applicants the last figure I saw. Stanford acceptance rate at large is 4.6 percent. Utah is not an academically tough place to recruit IF that is what someone was suggesting.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

That is what I mean harder for Stanford to recruit than Utah. 

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Utah has the aforementioned issues such  as the culture thing and location etc. Stanford has obscene academic qualifiers but the trade off is you are now set for life in the AA. 

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football I am happy with not winning the PAC12 with Whittingham as the HC.