I had an interesting experience this past weekend

Viewing 4 reply threads

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

We let a couple people know that we were considering moving from Utah. After that, the job offers started coming hot and heavy. We narrowed it down to two locations and went out this last 6 days visiting each one. It’s crazy the wining, dining, schmoozing, etc that happens on those things. It’s crazy how you go into it with one expectation, then you are actually there and you discover things that you didn’t think were important but now are or things you thought were important but now don’t seem so important. It’s nuts what things are said for their company and against others, etc. 

We went into the weekend 99% sure we were doing one thing. We agreed to visit one place on a last second decision out of respect. Well, after visiting that place, we have completely flipped over to that place and are ready to sign on. 

What’s my point? I’m a freaking old man who has accomplished some things and failed at a lot more things. I can’t imagine what it must be like for these 17-18 year old kids during recruiting season. Recruiting is brutal, ruthless world. I don’t consider myself to be a stupid man, and I’d hope that others don’t see me that way either, and yet, the lines that are fed to you during the process…

I can’t imagine what crap is fed to these poor kids. The manipulating, the arm twisting, etc. 

I’ll never blame a kid for choosing USC or Ohio State or Alabama or Michigan. Those places are just better. I actually don’t know if I will follow recruiting much anymore. It’s definitely not the brighter side of the college sporting world. 

On a lighter note, man, our recruiting class was amazing. Top 25. The next question is, can we get better? Or have we peaked? I think as far as out of state recruiting goes, we might have peaked. I’m not sure we could ever do too much better than we did. BUT, I think in state, we can still improve. 

Imagine if we could become respected enough in the state that kids grow up dreaming of playing for Utah. That is the next step. And we are close. 

Imagine this class, but we also signed Ty Jones (WR), Tufele (DT), Damuni (LB) and Lund (Ath) to sign with Utah? That would be a top 15 class. 

That is where our next progression needs to come. We need to get better at keeping in state talent home. 

And that will only come when we win the PAC-12. The real work starts now. We need to win the south and we need to do it in the next couple of years. 

This year is tough, but we have some talent as well. If we could get 8 regular season wins and finish with 9 again and ranked…wow. 

sweetgrass
      Ute Fan
      @sweetgrass

good post!

We also need to accept that a kid who has lived in Utah for all/most of his life simply might want to experience something different.  That seems to be a growing sentiment.  

Hard to believe, but it’s like they dont even like inversions, MLM’s and chain restuarants. 🙂

Maybe mom/dad/creepy uncle Phil are a little too hands on?

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

This is true. Sometimes you just want something different. I grew up outside of Utah, moved here for school and I really like it here (I used to think I loved it here, but after leaving than coming back, I don’t like it as much as I used to). 

One basic fact, is in some ways there is a ton of opportunity here. In others, there is very little to no opportunity here. We have some really good things going on in the state, but it is still a small state run by even smaller minds. There is only so much opportunity here when you mix those two things together. 

Some kids might just want to go out, spread their wings and see what the world has to offer them. 

I’m just grateful we have such an amazing head coach who can take the kids we can get and turn them into something special. Then, build off that and get kids that might be a little more ready and turn them into something special. 

Also, love or hate Whitt’s offensive ideas, the guy knows it isn’t good enough and you have to give him credit for trying to fix the problem. 

sweetgrass
          Ute Fan
          @sweetgrass

just to clarify, I love living in Utah. It’s beautiful, good economy, lots of outdoor activities and a great community for families. I don’t want it to sound like I’m bashing on the state.

But I can see where UW, Oregon, USC/UCLA, Cal/Stanford, UA-ASU would be enticing to an 18 year old. Those are equally as beautiful locales. In this conference we are competing against 3-4 of the most desirable places to live in the country/world.

UtahFanSir
      Ute Fan
      @utahfansir

My view, which I know has little value. Just sayin’.

I don’t think Utah has peaked. Yet until the Ute staff can put together a ‘complete’ game, an exciting game, they are likely topping out for a higher proportion for higher ranked kids. Utah cannot compete against the trophy case of USC, Alabama, Ohio State, etc.

Despite what we have seen, improvement is there. The acid test is reliably getting more top Utah recruits to come to Utah.

It is paramount that Utah get a high caliber quarterback.

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

I don’t think that Utah has peaked on recruiting, success breeds success, so if Whittingham and crew and get over the hump and win a Pac-12 Championship (or South, at least) that will go a long way to getting the best recruits.   The best recruits are always going to have a list of at least 4-5 top programs so no school on earth is going to get them all or even bat over 500.   As you allude to, there are many intangibles that figure into people’s decisions, be they 17-18 year-old impressionable kids or oldtimers.   Of course you want to have a fighting chance with the best in-state recruits, but the allure of living in SoCal (weather, ocean, women) especially, while also cutting the apron strings is pretty strong to a teen.   Add to that the top-flight academic reputations of places like Stanford, Cal-Berkeley and Washington and there is pretty stiff competition within the Pac-12 even for the academic-oriented players/parents.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I agree with what you said. What is cool about Utah, is we have had so much success, but at the same time, our ceiling is so incredibly high. We will need some help, ie, will the legislature give Utah the support it needs to become a top school in the West, but there is no reason why we can’t be at Washington’s level someday in all phases. 

Substiute
      Ute Fan
      @substiute

What was your 40yard dash time?

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

You know, they lined me up, said to go, but I’m still working on finishing…

There was a time, back in the good old days when I hit 4.7 on my 40.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football I had an interesting experience this past weekend