I heard that there is no plans (yet) to play Jackson at the wildcat

Viewing 5 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I would love to see Jackson play wildcat because of his strength and size.  However, I heard that “as of now” there is no plan to do that.  Apparently, Ludwig feels that Rising is a great runner, so they don’t need to bring in someone else to run.

I like the idea of mixing it up, so I hope they change their minds as the season moves on.  But, the coaches know a lot more than I will ever know.

Go Utes!!!

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

My interest in the wildcat is not that Rising can’t run, rather I like taking hits and risks off Cam’s game. We increase the likelihood that Rising is still QB1 at the end of the season if we reduce his snap counts a bit. Next, even though Cam is capable of running, it forces opposing defenses to spend time on the change up offense since the personnel change is significant. If Jackson can check out of a run to pass with good execution, it would be even better. We have a long season ahead, if we have the luxury of putting Rising, Thomas and others on just some snap count, especially when the game is in hand, we will be fresher in the 4th qtr of tight games and at the end of the year.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Agree on all points.

PhiladelphiaUte
        Ute Fan
        @philadelphiaute

Spot on Charlie.  If Matt Asiata was allowed to throw, so too should Jackson.  In fact, even more so.

GO UTES!!!

prestitute
        Ute Fan
        @prestitute

I really want to see A LOT of Jackson and Barnes in the SUU game. I would actually be fine with game planning that week as if Rising were unavailable. It seems like a great game to see our 2nd/3rd QB along with a lot of Glover and developing players. I would like to see us develop the bench early and often in that game. 

UtesRule
      Ute Fan
      @utesrule

We don’t need a wildcat package. Let’s see how many teams can stop our regular offensive without somewhat gimmicky plays.

AllInUteFan
        Ute Fan
        @allinutefan

Agreed. Tavion Thomas was extremely effective on short yardage and in the red zone. Let’s stick to that plan.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I like to know about the backup qb but Utah has Rising. I want him on the field as much as possible. I also hated it when Louks would come in for BJ in 2008 it worked cleverly against s**t teams but I remember it really throwing off BJ’s rhythm. 

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Cam is beyond awesome, and hearty. Still we lost him for a season at USC and missed him for the last 7 minutes of the Rose Bowl. I don’t look for the wildcat as a cherry on top of Cam. More something to control snap counts and transition if Cam is not available. My experience has been no matter how well you are rolling along, it is imperative to get minutes for the backup QB and backup center. Everyone else substitutes so much easier. No one wants them replaced for a set, however, when you must it is a killer if it has not been exercised in a game. Hope we don’t see the need this year.

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

Makes sense, at least on the timing. The start of camp is for the position battles and Jackson is still competing for QB2, if not QB1. I understand we all think it’s Rising’s job but the players can’t have that attitude. They need to come to work every day trying to show enough to become the starter, no matter what position they play.

Once the depth chart shakes out, then you can start looking at specific wrinkles or packages to include your backups. But at this point, you want both Jackson and Barnes showing proficiency with the entire playbook and save the situational stuff for game week.

D T
        Ute Fan
        @azute1

CR has personally stated he’s competing as if there’s a QB1 competition…..That’s his mentality.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football I heard that there is no plans (yet) to play Jackson at the wildcat