I just want to talk about officiating.

Viewing 3 reply threads

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

One thing I think the NCAA is better about is who created the contact on drives. I don’t agree with the NBA where you are able to shove basically your upper torso into someone to steady yourself. It does lead to greater offense obviously. Nba doesn’t allow push offs with the arm for the most part. It is kind of why guys like Mitchell become phenoms I think their skills are better adapted to the whistle of the NBA. 

The other huge thing is a pivot foot. For the most part NCAA actually enforces the pivot. 

1 1

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

I’m kind of the opposite end of the spectrum on this issue. i think all the offensive fouls that are called in college are ridiculous. Flopping is a disease that has infected the NCAA. It’s gotten to the point that many teams (like BYU) rely on it as their main defensive strategy down low. I remember practicing flopping in my high school practices. I thought to myself, this is stupid, I could just block his shot and not look like a fool doing it.

You should be able to intentionally bowl guys over, and you shouldn’t be able to move defenders with your hands or arms, but anything else is perfectly fine IMO as long as they aren’t calling defensive fouls in those situations either.

I remember being incredibly frustrated in HS games because if I stood my ground when someone ran into me, it was a foul on me, when it should have been a no call. If the same thing happened, and I fell over they called an offensive foul. Whether something is a foul or not should have nothing to do with how it effects the player.

Staples
        Ute Fan
        @staples

Completely agree, if there was one thing I would overall in college basketball it would be the charge/block call. I just hate when a guy’s driving to the basket and a defender slides over with the sole intention of getting run over with no designs on actually playing defense. I’d like to see it changed to the defender has to at least be in an active defensive position; standing there, covering your package, and then throwing yourself to the floor at the slightest contact doesn’t count.

Others grievances on the list: guards throwing their heads back trying to draw fouls as they dribble and teams being able to call a timeout after they made a basket. Sorry, once that ball went through the hoop you lost possession of it, you shouldn’t be able to call timeout to thwart a team trying to inbound the ball quickly.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

my biggest gripe with NBA officiating is the call defensive fouls when the offensive player initiates the contact. Specifically, I can’t stand when guys like Harden drive into the middle of the defense knowing that can’t possibly get a shot off, and the just throw their arms into a defenders arms to get to the free throw line. If the defender didn’t initiate the contact it’s not a defensive foul. That isn’t necessarily an offensive foul either. I just wish officials would be more willing to let things like that go without a whistle.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I guess that is what I am complaining about.  Nba allows that s**t vs NCAA you can’t just run in and think people are not allowed to play defense. 

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Pac12 officiating in general is horrible in all these ways and more. I watched several games early in the year, and all of them, without fail, had both teams in the bonus with more than 10 minutes still left on the clock. Fouls were being called darn near every time down to one end of the court or the other.

homer
        Ute Fan
        @homer

PAC12 officials come from a pool of officials. They are not exclusive to any one conference

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) I just want to talk about officiating.