I know some/most aren’t high on troy

Viewing 6 reply threads

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

Yes his decision making and completion percentage were poor last year but he was shackled by an offense that lacked variety and imagination. Maybe more than any we’ve had in whitt era. Our wr core was also extremely green last season and had major trouble beating jams (= qb hell).

I have said many times and maintain I think troys got good potential under quarterback Jesus. Taylor’s system is predicated on mastering the rigid progression built into each play and troy is a film rat. The reads are massively simplified and a lot of that decision making load is taken off the quarterback If the work is done off the field
      I think it’s clear that the media’s claims that our quarterback competition was a result of having no quarterback was unsubstantiated, rather a young dynamic player with a very high cieling was emerging. 
      Troy showed rust tonight. He, like everyone else, is learning a completely new o and I expect his execution, along with the rest of the O, improves with each passing week. He was also running a gameplan dialed to Tyler’s strengths. Unfortunately troy won’t get live game reps against cupcake row to break in. Trial by fire with Stanford and usc.
      I don’t know how good the offense will be with troy. I am confident we will be far better than last year (troy esp, given environment far more conducive to doing offense) and there are the ingredients for a very good offense there, albeit less dynamic than the Huntley version. 
      I have faith in troy, especially in the arms of quarterback jesus

Red Don
      Ute Fan
      @reddon

I was worried when he first came out based on last week.  However, he came out ready to play from the get-go. I thought he looked pretty darned good for coming in cold, and in a very high pressure situation.

rbmw263
        Ute Fan
        @rbmw263

I was not surprised that our 4th year former starting quarterback saw his first action senior year up 50 against San Jose State. He was out there to take the ball from the center and give it to the RB

3 2

MotherJabubu
      Ute Fan
      @motherjabubu

Seems like the plays coming in were noticeably slower once Troy came in, and that we ran more conservative plays. Not much read option, RPOs or screen plays. Not sure what to think of that.

I’m assuming Tyler broke his collarbone, which means he is done for the year. If we must have this situation the way it’s played out is at least a positive. Troy got 3 quarters of game time, a win, and now will have a BYE to make sure he has it all together.

I am still so bummed out. Sometimes I hate football

rbmw263
        Ute Fan
        @rbmw263

Think about how Tyler looked against Ndak. Lesser opponent but similar execution slowage/issues you expect with first live reps in New offense. He was also running a gameplan made for someone else with an entirely different style of play. I expect troys gameplan will look more like an air raid with a sprinkle of read option and a run game. If troy is still showing these things in his 2nd-3rd start then my tune will change.

2 1

Virginia Ute
        Ute Fan
        @virginiaute

I’m bummed too. I was finally excited about our QB, passing game, and offense. I’m just scared now. Like Utah said below, we saw vintage Troy tonight with bitter flashbacks of last year’s offense. 

5 2

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Troy came in and we saw last year:

redzone = fg

TO

redzone = TD

Punt

punt

punt

red zone= fg

Punt

That game was vintage Troy Williams. That’s what scares me. He looked the same. 50% passer, no TD’s, no RZ improvement. If that’s what we get from TW…is Bateman really worse?

1 2

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

AMEN!! Troy is a decent QB just not a Huntley type Qb who was one of the leaders in the PAC.  

3 2

humpbackchub
        Ute Fan
        @humpbackchub

Ok, I’ll play this game. Tyler Huntly vs. BYU:

Half 1: punt, punt, field goal, punt, field goal

Half 2: TD, Fumble, punt, field goal, fumble, TOD, punt 

Vintage Troy Willia… er Tyler Huntley. I’m just as dissapointed as anyone that Tyler went down, but stop with this bagging on Troy Williams. Especially when you were all optimism about what he could do in this offense until Huntley was named starter. It’s not a very good look. 

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Without Joe Williams, Troy loses a lot of games last year. 

You could probably say without Carrington Huntley looks mediocre. Let’s see how Troy does with an NFL receiver. 

4 1

vcsg01
      Ute Fan
      @vcsg01

Yep, we were transported right back to last year after Huntley went down.

gothamute
        Ute Fan
        @gothamute

It so obvious now why TT picked Huntley as the starter. Not only is Huntley a much better fit for Taylor’s system than Williams is, but Huntley is simply a *better quarterback*… look at the numbers and then tell me how that’s not the case (or just use the eye test). When TW came in it was a total time-warp to last season, with its ~50% completion percentage, tentative decision-making and coverage sacks, drives getting bogged down, and FGs in the red zone. With Tyler we are not only a better team but a different team than prior years, while with Troy we are just last year’s team with marginally better play-calling from the OC.

Unfortunately it looks like Tyler is going on the shelf for most (if not all) of the rest of the season (injuries to the throwing shoulder are not quick fixes), and Troy will be the guy going forward in ’17. I think Tyler at QB wins us 1-2 more games than Troy does, so while this is potentially very disappointing in terms of our ability to compete this year for the South (which seems a taller order than before), the next two seasons do have a lot of potential if we can keep Huntley healthy.

ladyinred
      Ute Fan
      @ladyinred

I have faith in Troy, and I was happy to see him do reasonably well coming into an adverse situation. I think we can win games with him, but you can’t deny that Huntley is special. He completed 8/9 passes before going down, granted he took I think 2 sacks. Troy got 9/18, and just seems slower to throw than Huntley, though his maturity shows in a lot of ways.

FWIW, Kyle said in post game interview that he thinks it is “highly unlikely” any injuries last night were season ending. Damn I hope that’s true because we will miss Fitts, Anae, lufatasaga, let alone Huntley.

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

Joe Williams was our one man army on the 2016 O. Except for the USC game, Troy kinda just hung in there and Joe took care of business. We don’t have that liberty this year. Without Huntley, I’m worried.

noneyadb
        Ute Fan
        @noneyadb

Joe didn’t play against USC. That was Shyne and Moss. 

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football I know some/most aren’t high on troy