Pass. 23/39 (298)       23/32 (227)

Yds per pass 7.6.         7.1

Int 0.                               1

Rush 138 (37 att)        272 (47 att)

Yds per rush 3.7.         5.8

Penalties 6-40 Yds       11-135 Yds 

Defense 3 sack/9 TFL.   1 sack/6 TFL 

Punt 6-333 yds.             1-52 yds

SUU ended 2016 at 6-5. ND ended 2016 at 9-3. I’m not sure any of this means anything but there are some interesting takeaways. We had twice as many rushing yds against ND on 10 more attempts. We had WAY more penalty yds against ND. We only punted once against ND.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

I think this team will shock people. Starting next week.

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

Ugh. Those penalty yards are painful to look at. Hopefully we get that cleaned up. No more 2nd and 40 please.

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

I think we will. Most of those can be attributed to aggression and BS calls that are NEVER made at any other time.

Larry B
          Ute Fan
          @larryb

Plus the two facemask penalties by ND that the refs completely missed. 1 against Huntley after a long run and 1 on Blackmon after his interception.

2 1

ladyinred
        Ute Fan
        @ladyinred

Agreed, the penalties. Ugh. Although some of them were bogus, like the celebration penalty. Also from what I saw, that roughing the kicker penalty was a stre

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Interesting, I thought UND looked a lot better than SUU.

The penalties and lack of sacks are concerning.   The penalty issue should give the coaches good fodder for practice motivation.  

The UND QB was quite good at evading the rush, he really had no fear and took some good hits.  Their OL seemed pretty good at pass protection, not so good for the run.

KiYi-Ute
        Ute Fan
        @kiyi-ute

Yeah, I was really hoping that our D-Line would create more pressure and come away with more than one sack. I think a big part of being able to beat BYU will be putting Tatum Mango on his back.

ironman1315
          Ute Fan
          @ironman1315

Something I noticed, the DEs didn’t really seem to try to get pressure. I think the game plan was prevent-run D for them. Meaning they stay home at all times and wait for the run to come to them. The pressure was supposed to come up the middle, and it did at times but that kid was a touch too quick. I think the DEs will get the light to pin their ears back and crush some fools.

FtheY
            Ute Fan
            @fthey

I sure hope so. I want to wreak havoc in provostan. 

Puget Ute
        Ute Fan
        @pugetute

UND beat SUU 45-23 last year.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football I thought it would be fun to compare game 1 from 2016 and 2017