If Huntley is better than your experienced Senior QB after 1 week in fall camp,

Viewing 6 reply threads

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

(Huntley, the Sophomore) do you announce him as the starter then or do you allow for a longer period of time and body of work so that you understand what you really have..this allows you the opportunity for the Senior to rise up and beat him out.

It’s damned if you do, damned if you don’t IMO. Why wouldn’t you give the Senior QB every chance and every minute to improve and keep his job.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I am confused is this what they are saying what happened or is this your impression?  I haven’t been paying attention to the radio or writers since Monday. 

ladyinred
        Ute Fan
        @ladyinred

I think there is just a lot talkify-ing this topic, but no news that I’ve heard that he’s thinking of transferring.

gUrthBrooks
        Ute Fan
        @hammer

This is what the Narbonne High School coach (Troy Taylor’s HS coach) was inferring.  That Utah knew this for a while and didn’t want to tell Troy Williams until after the first day of school, so that he couldn’t transfer.

Duhwayne
          Ute Fan
          @duhwayne

I looked it up. This was one of the definitions for “butthurt” on urbandictionary. His guy got beat. Similar ability plus three years to play equals Huntley starts.

cbmute
      Ute Fan
      @cbmute

To me if the coaching staff knew, and not just thought, a few weeks ago that Huntley was going to the the starter and didn’t let Williams know he was going to be the back up simply to lead him on so he wouldn’t transfer, then I would find that shaddy and bush league by our coaches.  I think they should have told him and done their best to convince him to stay by letting him know there is a pretty good chance he will get in and play a big role. 

If they were not sure and needed to see the last bit of practice and the final scrimmage before naming the starter then they did nothing wrong. They said all along it was a compitition and as long as they gave him every chance for him to win the job and didn’t lie to him, what else are the supose to do.  

I like to believe the latter is what happened, but unless information gets linked that they intentionally lead Williams on so he wouldn’t transfer we may never know. So until I learn otherwise said I will believe Kyle because I’ve never thought of him as a liar, but as a good man. 

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

IMO, the change of QBs is by far the biggest local story this week.  The local radio hacks have to create things to talk about.  It’s simply not big news to say that Huntlely won the position with 12 days to go before the first game.  They have to create scenarios like: They always knew that they were going with Huntley, but didn’t want Williams to transfer.  There is absolutely no evidence that this happened.  We have Williams’ former high school coach speculating that the Utah coaching staff knew.  But, he doesn’t know squat.

In the end, Huntley is the starter.  Coach Taylor told him that he is the guy and he doesn’t need to look over his shoulder.  It sounds like the only way they make a change, is if Huntley gets hurt.  The odds of that happening are pretty good in college football today.  It may be for one week or it may be for the season.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

It is a pretty stupid made up theory. It amazes me how others get off on putting down the U.

3 1

KJU
      Ute Fan
      @kjute

What do you think that High School coach would say if Tyler was named the starter after the first week of camp? I think he would be saying “Why didn’t they give Troy a chance to win and keep his job?”

I do like Troy and hope he continues to be a standup team player because he will get his shot at some point this year as Tyler’s body scares me and will until he adds 15 to 20 pounds.

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

One other thought. Troy’s development and opportunities are not the coaches’ priority. The team’s success is the priority. A QB who started all last year is a great backup. With that orientation in mind, why tell him early in camp? If he stays we are better off.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Yeah that is a better point of view for a coach. What is the best thing for the team not a single individual.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football If Huntley is better than your experienced Senior QB after 1 week in fall camp,