If the offense looks revolutionized this season

Viewing 5 reply threads

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

The hype for troy Taylor + tuttle + covey (plus whoever breaks out this Year) is going to be insane 

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

I’m keeping my expectations fairly low for our offense this year. I don’t see them being much better than last year with the players we currently have. However, I do expect good things in the future, especially if Tuttle can help recruit some talent.

FtheY
        Ute Fan
        @fthey

I don’t disagree Larry B, I’m cautiously optimistic as well.

Other than Eastern Washingtons standout receiver, do you think our talent is at least as good as theirs was last year, if not better? We’re both in first year installations of this offense. 

If we think our talent is worse than EWUs last year, that’s definitely a concern. The only other factor I can see is that defenses at this level may be better, therefore reducing the effectiveness of Taylor’s system. 

What other factors might reduce the effectiveness of our new offense? 

noneyadb
          Ute Fan
          @noneyadb

EWU had a passing system already in place before Taylor arrived. The fact he took a walk on and threw for 5000 yds is the inspiring part. I do expect the RB’s to definitely be used more in the passing game, which also helps to open up deep routes, and slants.  Sooo maybe Utah does improve dramatically!

noneyadb
            Ute Fan
            @noneyadb

Listened to Scott Mitchell talk about how they never threw the ball to Barry Sanders. Imagine having Barry Sanders and the defense had to focus on him as a receiver and not just a running back? Joe Williams is definitely no Barry Sanders, but taking away the threat of him being a receiver on pass plays allowed defenses to cheat, with secondaries as good as UCLA, Colorado, and Washington, that made it more difficult for Troy Williams and the receivers to get open on a third and long. Hell even Cal, and Oregon looked terrific defensively vs Utah.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

I’m freebasing the Troy Taylor Kool-Aid !!

1 2

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

My optimism for the new offense is very reserved after watching the spring game. I know, I know, it was just the spring game and we were intentionally very vanilla, blah, blah, blah but I didn’t think the offense looked much different than what we have been trying to do the last few years and it certainly didn’t look very effective.

KiYi-Ute
        Ute Fan
        @kiyi-ute

We had very few starters actually playing in the spring game. And those that did only played a few snaps; it’s more about getting to see the 2s, 3s and 4s.

Also, having the O-Line play every single down both directions is tough. Those guys were gassed and certainly not at their best after a few series.

therealu
        Ute Fan
        @therealu

Agree that a lot of the offense didn’t look much different than what we ran last year – hoping we see some schematic changes in the fall.

UtahFanSir
      Ute Fan
      @utahfansir

Noticed last night that Tuttle is listed as a *** recruit, 79 grading, by ESPN. Also, a number of Utah players are ESPN 300 guys, gradings above 80, all undeclared and offered by the likes of USC, Alabama, Ohio State, etc.

therealu
        Ute Fan
        @therealu

I believe Tuttle’s rating on ESPN is a bit old (pre Elite 11), and they have said they expect it to go up when he is re-evaluated.

Da Vinci Ute
      Ute Fan
      @davinciute

I think where the biggest improvements will be is in the actual play calling, development, recognition, adjustment, etc. no more running the same play 2 and sometimes 3 times in a row. utilizing plays to develop a large gain later in the series or game. Just an all around better game planning. I’m excited!

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

That’s where BJ is a mastermind. I’m excited to watch Houston’s offense this year. I think we will start to see why Whitt hired BJ. Whitt just did it 5 years too early. 

UtahFanSir
          Ute Fan
          @utahfansir

I think so as well. Was BJ trying to implement an offense that KW was uncomfortable with? Or for which he did not have the necessary players? Or was he a bit too inexperienced? Or what combination of these and other issues led to his demise at Utah? 

FtheY
            Ute Fan
            @fthey

I’m excited to watch them this year. Is Adam Schulz on that team? Didn’t he transfer and have to sit out a year? 

Puget Ute
              Ute Fan
              @pugetute

He played in 2015. He was a graduate transfer. Played in 2 games, went 7/13 for 129 yds.

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Only if Covey had postponed his mission for one year. Last year with Covey, Utah would have been a serious playoff contender.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football If the offense looks revolutionized this season