If we clinch before next week, should we rest our starters

Viewing 10 reply threads
      1 6

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Against Oregon and/or Colorado? Maybe not all of them, but anyway who could use the rest?

Italy88
      Ute Fan
      @itacoatiara22

No.

AZUteFan
      Ute Fan
      @azutefan

Yes! Nothing left to play for if we have the South locked up. Risk of injury does not outweigh any reward from playing against Oregon and/or Colorado.

If we are sitting guys like Tavion Thomas against U of A when there is a lot at stake, no reason to play them when the game is literally meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

Vuksi
        Ute Fan
        @vuksinick

I disagree. If they don’t play against Oregon and lose not only is their confidence in question but they may second guess themselves in the conference championship game

richute
      Ute Fan
      @richute

In my opinion rest for multiple weeks like that would without doubt lead to them coming out rusty. Maybe if you count what Thomas did today as rest then yeah. I think we want to win as many games as possible.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

NO NO NO!!

2 2

AZUteFan
        Ute Fan
        @azutefan

ProudUte, I am with you on not sitting players when the games mean something. But if the South is locked up and we have our ticket punched on Dec 3rd, we need to be at full strength and healthy. I’d rather have a healthy Rising and Thomas in the CCG rather than a meaningless game against Colorado the day after Thanksgiving. 

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Sitting for three weeks, which is what it would be by the time they play again would be detrimental.maybe don’t play them as much, but they can’t sit that long.

AZUteFan
            Ute Fan
            @azutefan

I think it depends on the player. If Tavion really wasn’t in a position to play against U  of A today, game that has a lot on the line, should he be playing in a game that has no bearing on winning the South? 

I am not suggesting we roll out the walk-ons and get drilled. But if we have guys that are dinged up, then why would you risk it? It’s essentially a bye week.

ProudUte
          Ute Fan
          @proudute

I want to win.  I would hate to lose two games and then win the championship.  That would make us 8-5.  Winning the South is indeed important, but we should play every game to win.  If we have someone who had nagging injuries, that’s a different story.  I would NEVER sit a healthy player.  But, that’s me.

Italy88
            Ute Fan
            @itacoatiara22

This times a million. Play to win, not to rest.

AZUteFan
            Ute Fan
            @azutefan

Agree with you! Problem is we are not healthy at several critical positions. We aren’t talking about sitting the whole team. The OP is asking if we play it cautious with guys that are banged up.

And I would also suggest no designed QB runs for Rising and basically put him in bubble wrap for both games.

Johnny
      Ute Fan
      @johnny

We need to destroy Oregon.  Period

1 2

AZUteFan
        Ute Fan
        @azutefan

Right on Dec 3rd, we need to destroy Oregon. Would be nice to be as healthy as possible.

Northendzone Ute5
      Ute Fan
      @northendzoneute5

You play to win the game!! Right Herm?

Tednab
        Ute Fan
        @tednab

at least the backup QB needs more playing time .. this team is completely different, should Rising get hurt

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

In the NFL, yes.  In college, no.  

Northendzone Ute5
      Ute Fan
      @northendzoneute5

A culture of winning in college is important. If you have a division clinched in the NFL, that’s different.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

I see your point… to REST. But No, it’s not in Kyle’s or This programs DNA to mail it in. Kyle believes you line up the best 11 and play…. Could he rest guys who are banged up but could play if they had too. Sure. But, Kyle already does that.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Winning is good for recruiting, losing is bad. I don’t see any scenario where losing is ok.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Yeah, I get that… but losing is more okay if it’s clear you aren’t even attempting to win because your spot in the CCG is already locked up.

I’m not suggesting we should rest our starters, but it’s an interesting discussion.

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football If we clinch before next week, should we rest our starters