I’m amused that…

Viewing 5 reply threads

Ute2
      Ute Fan
      @ute2

I can’t help but be amused that the vibe from BYU is that they’re joining the big 12 like it’s the big 12 of yesteryear.

I mean, I think it’s great for them and that it’ll be infinitely more fun to be a BYU fan. And it’s probably way better than the AAC offerings.

But its not like they’re joining a P5 league. (P4 hehe)

Really cool and really fun for them. But let’s cool the jets a bit on how historic and special it is.

But hey, if our blue bloods bolt too, we’ll be in the same boat…🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Ute2
      Ute Fan
      @ute2

And another relevant point, I heard Dick Harmon say in a radio interview that BYU was the leading Candace in 2011 for the big 12 when the other 3 schools split their separate ways but that BYU over negotiated with their BYU TV stuff they were so stoked about.

Fireable offense for whoever blew that one.

Rick
        Ute Fan
        @utebiquitous

In football, the Big 12 may be barely a P5 league but what a terrific step up for BYU in basketball. That’s a strong league. I admit some jealously having home and homes with Kansas, Baylor, Oklahoma St and Iowa St.

Good for them.

Now let’s beat the hell out of them tomorrow.

astUTE
          Ute Fan
          @astute

Kansas obviouly, and Baylor (good history and real success recently), but yes, OK St, with it’s long history beginning under Hank Iba, and Iowa St with decades of good basketball, BYU will not be the perennial automatic 2nd and 3rd worst case, that they’ve been in the WCC.

I’m not going to feel jealous, until Utah get’s back to being the program that it should be; competitive in our league or BYU’s (new) league.

16 1

Jim McMahon
      Ute Fan
      @icomeinpeace

We have lots of Utah fans on our message board so I feel like you guys should have to put up with a few of my thoughts.

We clearly know this is a very watered down conference without OK and TX. We also know it is still hanging by a thread, and would fall apart if poached further.

We also know that we are high maintanence with the LDS church affiliation and our no-Sunday play. I think if most Utah fans are totally honest they would admit that BYU would have been a much better partner along with Utah back in 2011 than Colorado, but our social views and no-Sunday play would never fly in the PAC.

Many of us never dreamed we’d join a decent conference. The B12 is taking us and all our baggage so we are naturally thrilled. Of course we know their hands were tied, but we’ll still take it. It will be an awesome basketball conference, and in any given year (if USC, UCLA, and Oregon aren’t all-world), it could be the 3rd or 4th best football conference.

Most importantly, we finally have something to play for again! Nothing like losing to you guys the first game of the season and then not having conference play.

Ute2
        Ute Fan
        @ute2

Real talk here….respect!

A few points.

BYU was always the more intriguing sports property. I hate to admit that but I think it was true. Thats probably changed the last 10 years.

I think it helped Utah immensely to not join with BYU. BYU would’ve provided a much stiffer headwind to Utah’s success then Colorado ever has.

I think BYU is or was high maintenance because because they were high maintenance. Not sure the church had anything to do with that. Tv was the sticking point before in 2011, not Sunday play according to dick Harmon.

Full disclosure, Whatever of the above that is opinion is informed by the fact that I am what you folks like to to call an ALUF.

I wish joe dale or sly would’ve gotten that ball that slipped right between them to Andrew George so bad. We would be going for the big 12 tomorrow and that irony would be tooooo good.

Welcome to the bird good sir.

10 is coming!

Good luck tomorrow! 🙂

Jim McMahon
          Ute Fan
          @icomeinpeace

Our only prayer tomorrow is that Jaren Hall can scramble for some big plays. If he has over 65 yards rushing (and doesn’t get injured obviously), I think BYU has a chance. It would only be fitting that Jaren Hall breaks the curse of Max Hall. 

Short of that, us BYU fans know exactly how this game will go. Tuiaki won’t blitz and will give 10 yards of cushion on virtually every play. Brewer will have tons of open receivers and all the time in the world to throw. And your lines and superior depth will wear us down in the trenches by the fourth quarter and will salt us away🥺

Jim McMahon
          Ute Fan
          @icomeinpeace

Our only prayer tomorrow is that Jaren Hall can scramble for some big plays. If he has over 65 yards rushing (and doesn’t get injured obviously), I think BYU has a chance. It would only be fitting that Jaren Hall breaks the curse of Max Hall. 

Short of that, us BYU fans know exactly how this game will go. Tuiaki won’t blitz and will give 10 yards of cushion on virtually every play. Brewer will have tons of open receivers and all the time in the world to throw. And your lines and superior depth will wear us down in the trenches by the fourth quarter and will salt us away🥺

UteFanatic
        Ute Fan
        @utefanatic

I appreciate this perspective. I imagine it was hard watching Utah and other teams having something to play for late in the season while BYU was playing crap teams like UMass in November with no real motivation. I remember seeing LES stadium attendance in 2017, and it was bad. When the team lost several games, fan interest plummeted. That’s less likely to happen in conference play as long as there is a chance of a conference championship (or at the very minimum, playing spoiler to a team you don’t like such as TCU).

Being in the hunt for a conference championship nearly every season in a P5 league has been an extraordinarily fun experience. I was always annoyed when BYU fans tried to downplay Utah’s accomplishments, e.g. “BYU has as many P12 championships as Utah” was some of the dumbest smack I’ve ever heard because BYU fans would be thrilled at that level of success in a P5 league.

Congrats. If I were a BYU fan, I would be thrilled to join the B12, even in its watered-down state. Looking forward to future games between our two teams.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

I like having fans of opposing teams coming here to give their two cents. Usually it’s the week of the game and then they’re gone for a year if they even show up at all, so thank you for coming. I like to check Cougarboard in the weeks leading up to the game and like you, I don’t talk trash, keep it respectful but am mostly there just to see how the fan base is feeling. I remember two years ago, a BYU fan showing up here asking how we expected the Utes to win the game. Seriously? By catching TD passes from Zach Wilson of course!
        I checked Cougarboard last night and saw a post from a doctor in Vegas who’s wife was the victim of a head on, hit and run, DUI crash in the Virgin River gorge. I looked into his story and found out he lost a son a few years back who had been hit by a truck while playing outside. My heart broke for that man but the support he received on Cougarboard was admirable.
        To me I don’t think the Sunday play thing is really that big of a deal breaker. It’s more BYU’s arrogance in acting like they’re Texas or ND and making demands about sharing money brought in from media rights. I’m not sure what the new deal is with the B12, but I hope the B12 isn’t going to put up with it.

Duhwayne
        Ute Fan
        @duhwayne

Hey, with this view and tone you’re welcome anytime.

Colorado was the more important rivalry until a round of alignment changes in the 60s. Utah and Colorado are even in the series. Until Lavell, BYU won only a handful of games. BYU and Utah was a great rivalry in the 2000s and 2010s.

Tom Holmoe is the luckiest man alive. Independence was a pretty obvious mistake at the time it was made. BYU left before TCU did, and TCU was livid. All MWC had to do to qualify under the old. BCS formula was to swap Utah’s BCS wins with Boise’s. The ESPN contract was worth only about 4 or 5 million per year. Plugging into the Texas media market alone will improve that. Recruiting will too. Huge congrats.

Ute2
      Ute Fan
      @ute2

Goodness… I just observed Twitter….

This is more like Michael Scott winning a Dundee than Steve carrell winning an Oscar.

But they’re acting like the latter….

Normally I like to think I’m no so petty to harp on this type of thing and let every dog have it’s day but…… I’m truly Amazed…

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Today is a big day for cougar fans.  They have been stuck in obscurity for a decade.  How big it turns out – remains to be seen.  But, if I was a coug – today would be a great day as was it for we Utes when we joined the PAC12.

It seems dumb on both sides to compare conferences at this point.  Both conferences have their strong points and both have issues (as we saw last weekend).  We are the Utah Utes, we are a part of the PAC12.  Let’s just make the best of what we have!!!

Ute2
        Ute Fan
        @ute2

Yeahhhhh I know…

But I will compare. P12 >>>>>>>b12. 🙂

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

Man.  I just got off the phone with one of my best friends on the planet.  We grew up together.  He went to BYU and I went to Utah.  We went to high school together during Lavell’s glory days and my buddy was never the kind to rub those butt-kickings in my face.  My favorite memory of the rivalry is taking him to the game in ’88 (my first year at the U) when Scott Mitchell went off.  I shed a lot of pent up frustration that day.  

Anyway, I called to congratulate him.  When I think of their fanbase I try to think about my friend, because he loves his football program and school, just like I do.  He’s been in the depths of hell for 10 years watching our program take it to another level while they’re stuck in purgatory.  This is a good day for their fanbase.  Good on ’em.  I didn’t have the heart to tell my friend that this isn’t what it seems.  This is NOT like joining a BigXII with the two blue-bloods that are going to bolt.  I told him that if I were him the thing I’d look forward to most is having something to play for.  Right now, their season is over after one loss (and most of the time before it even starts).  

So kudos to those guys down South.  In the grand scheme of things, I don’t think it will change much around here.  Hopefully, this will allow us to move our in-state rivalry to every few years instead of an every-year game.  I can only hope.

And maybe this little piece of good news will help offset the ass-kicking that’s coming for them tomorrow.

#10iscoming

Ute2
        Ute Fan
        @ute2

It does seem like they may play a season or two with Texas and Oklahoma though…

So that will be fun for them

UteBacker
          Ute Fan
          @utebacker

I’m about 90% sure Texas & Oklahoma won’t last much longer in the XII.  Something tells me they’ll work their magic to get out of there faster.

Ute2
            Ute Fan
            @ute2

How do you figure?

The buyouts are pretty thick… 80 million per right?

I guess you think some very wealthy dudes she’ll out some cash for thAt??

UteBacker
              Ute Fan
              @utebacker

It’s like breaking up with your live-in girlfriend.  You can still live together but talk about AWKWARD.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Nah. They’ll negotiate out before the new 4 come in. It’s possible the other power conferences raid the B12 again after that. If I were a betting man, I’d bet UT and OU are out by next football season.

Ute2
            Ute Fan
            @ute2

Im just curious what leverage texas and ok have.

I don’t see any…. They’ll have to pay a hefty exit fee. Do you think they do?

Central Coast Ute
              Ute Fan
              @flip2848

It’s actually not that hard to negotiate out. They’ll have to pay of course, but not as much. What they’ll pay is drops in the bucket compared to their SEC paychecks. That’s for the lawyers to figure out though.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football I’m amused that…