I’m curious as to what my fellow Ute fans see that makes them

Viewing 4 reply threads
      5 2

PorterRockwell
      Ute Fan
      @porterrockwell

Fear the turds down south 

they are not an offfensive juggernaut in any sense of the word  mangum looks very oedestrian against every good P5 defense he’s gone up against 

he doesn’t have the receivers to bail out his jump balls this year 

their running back by committee is average at best 

they had to work hard to score twenty against Portland state 

Utah already made an impact dcellent post about their vaunted defense 

their home field advantage isn’t all that.   I’m not Mormon but I imagine the atmosphere at rice Eccles South is akin to a relief society meeting where the sisters disagree and a pseudo cat fight breaks out 

this isn’t the Lavell era anymore and hasn’t been for a long time 

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I worry about the penalties killing Utah. Defense was really disciplined though so it is kind of a wash. I think Hansen or Blackmon score this game. 

2 1

PorterRockwell
        Ute Fan
        @porterrockwell

I think the penalties get substantially cleaned up from last week to this week the penalties we had were players trying to make plays. They weren’t discipline penalties like offsides false starts etc. we did have an abhorrent number of them and that needs to be cleaned up. We can get away with that stuff these first games. Not so much so in conference play

Virginia Ute
        Ute Fan
        @virginiaute

Penalties and turnovers, as seen from last year.  

I still think we dominate and win Saturday, though. 

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Their offense is horrible.  It just isn’t working.  But, then again – we lost to a bad UNLV team 27-0 and bounced back to some of the best football the Utes ever played.  Sometimes a few small changes make a huge difference.

I don’t think their defense is as bad as some think.  Their defense kept Guice to 3 yards per carry less than his college average and his longest run was 13 yards.  That’s not bad.  The yardage numbers for LSU look daunting, but are misleading.  BYU’s offense never helped the defense.  It’s really quite amazing that they held LSU to 27 points considering how tired they must have been.  LSU had twice the possession time that BYU did.  This lead to some artifically high yardage numbers.  (LSU’s average yards per play was not that high.)  I don’t see our offense dominating BYU’s defense.

That being said, they don’t have anyone capable of covering Carrington.  He should dominate.  But, I doubt we have a 100 yard rusher in Provo.

1 1

PorterRockwell
        Ute Fan
        @porterrockwell

Ten years ago we lost to a bad UNLV team.  In fact many, myself included believe that was a huge turning point for our program.  

LSU only used 10%!of the play card that game. I suspect that back could have had more. LSU had the advantage of a short field for most of their possession which helped keep his numbers down

I wouldn’t be surprised if we do have a 100 yard rusher. I think our passing game will open up the run game.

humpbackchub
          Ute Fan
          @humpbackchub

LSU only used 10%!of the play card that game.

My response… I think what you meant to say was LSU FCS’ed byu-p. The back probably would have matched or exceeded his college average had LSU not FCS’ed them. 

COFfrom83
          Ute Fan
          @coffrom83

when asked about how much of our offense we showed against ND, Carrington said “you ain’t seen nothing yet”

wonder how much more we will have to show v TDS?

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Huntley will have over 100. 

UteFanatic
        Ute Fan
        @utefanatic

I don’t think their defense is as bad as some think.  Their defense kept Guice to 3 yards per carry less than his college average and his longest run was 13 yards.  That’s not bad.  

Guice played very little in the 2nd half.  If he had stayed in his statistics would be way higher.  BYU’s D was gassed and Guice would have broke off several TD runs had he continued to play.  Also, LSU’s passing game conisted of dinks and dunks.  The only time they tried a long pass resulted in a 52 yard completion where the WR torched BYU’s defender.

ProudUte
          Ute Fan
          @proudute

He ran the ball 27 times and averaged less than 5 yards per carry.  They held him down better than any other defense outside Alabama.  Guice had a good game, but not a great game.  We don’t have anyone (right now) near as good as Guice.

UteFanatic
            Ute Fan
            @utefanatic

We don’t need anyone nearly as good as Guice to beat BYU.

cbmute
      Ute Fan
      @cbmute

The eyeball test from the first two weeks seems to say Utah should win and win by 14 plus. I have felt for last several years the talent level would suggest Utah would win by 10-20 points.  However, that has not been the case except for the 54-10 year. 

All we have seen from Utah is a win over an FCS team.  There were certainly things from that game that lead me to be optimistic.  ND is supposed to be a good FCS team, but after one week we don’t really know.  Maybe LSU is really that good.  Last year they had a great defense.  Maybe the reason byu looked so bad in week one was because it was week one.  I agree the talent for byu does not look good on offense. But maybe those two games have been misleading. 

I do wonder how the offensive line will handle the road environment as well as I wonder how Huntley will handle his first road start against the rival.  Will there be nerves and will that cause the game to be closer than it should be. The other reason I have any concern about this game is the extremely c**ky attitude of Utah fans right now. It just seems like bad karma. 

One last concern I have is why does LV have this so close.  They are not dumb. 

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Where is this misconception that Vegas is mostly right?  I want some data to back that up. Vegas puts lines to ENCOURAGE betting. Just something I don’t buy into anymore. I remember Utah has overcome the lines quite a bit lately. 

User Suspended
        @a2ute

Great post.

We have yet to see Utah’s full offensive playbook.  Until then,  I remain a bit leery. Remember this is a new system with a new QB. 

One thing I can guarantee is Huntley will need to pass the ball efficiently to win this game.  The Utes cannot rely on the running game this year to win games.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

After watching ND I think Utah will rush the ball just fine.  Obviously it is early but I think this offensive line is plenty good.  Moss busted a few because of great blocking and they were pretty vanilla.  Harding will be a Head Coach somewhere in FBS after this season. 

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

Why? We’ve never had a great QB and won. I don’t think we need any sort of game from our QB to win. 

If our QB has a decent game, we blow them out. 

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

I see exactly one thing that makes me nervous:

For BYU-P, this is their Super Bowl, or something even bigger. For Utah, this is just another game standing between them and the real season.

Never underestimate what the most important game of a kid’s life can bring out of him.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums They So Poo Poo I’m curious as to what my fellow Ute fans see that makes them