IMO we should not under-estimate the team down south.

Viewing 6 reply threads
      8 6

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I thought it was funny yesterday when some posted that Zach Wilson is not that good.  I know that his perfect passing performance was against a MAC team.  I don’t care if it was against Dixie College, it really was a great effort.  Now, does this make him Tom Brady?  No, it doesn’t.  Will he be a Heisman candidate?  I highly doubt it.  But, it was still a very good performance and I think he has shown enough to prove that he is a good QB.  He has a very good arm and he is a good runner as well.  Because he plays for our rival, some tend to dismiss his ability.  Truth is, he a pretty good.

IMO, there is no reason to talk about what could have or should have happened in recruiting him.  What’s done is done.  He is not and never will be a Ute.  Oh well.

So, on to next August and our game against the Cougars.  Their defense proved to be quite good (ended up 19th in the nation).  They are expecially good at stuffing the run as they showed against Wisconsin and us.  They do lose two key players on that defense in Kaufusi and TakiTaki.

Our DBs will likely be the best the Cougars see all next season and our defensive line should be great.  I happen to believe that we should be fine at LB.  We may be a bit inexperienced early on, but we have some talent at LB.  The problem on defense will be safety.  When we play the Cougars, we will have two inexperienced, unproven safeties.

If we get Moss back (appears unlikely) we should be solid on offense.  We will be inexperienced on the offensive line.  How quick will the new talent be able to develop?  No one knows.  We will have a senior QB leading us.

The Cougars improved this season and took it to us for 40 minutes a few weeks ago.  Losing 8 in a row sticks in their craw and they will want to get the monkey off their backs.  Also, KW has not often had the team looking sharp in the first few games.  This bothers me more than anything else.  So, anything can happen.

We certainly have more talent on paper.  But, that first game of the season is one we should not take likely IMO.

crazyute
      Ute Fan
      @crazyute

How is our line inexperienced? We got 2 full time starters back; umana and Paul. Then nick Ford started half the season. That’s 3 out of 5 spots. And Paul Toala had experience. Brayden daniels got some time.

As for safety Burgess comes back Afia is back. I know they are high on malone mataele and rj Hubert. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Blackmon move to FS. Or a guy like Josh nurse or tre strong.

I think we will be fine in your 2 worries

cjd1
        Ute Fan
        @cjd1

How many BYU players next year would start at Utah?

1 1

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Bushman for sure. 

Puget Ute
            Ute Fan
            @pugetute

Not sure he starts over Fotheringham or Kuithe. And he definitely doesn’t block well enough to fit our schemes.  He is an outstanding receiver, though, and that counts for a lot.

ProudUte
          Ute Fan
          @proudute

We seem to say that every year and yet we rarely seem to be able to take them to the woodshed.  I really have mno idea who could start for us and no one here really knows.  I did say that we are definitetly better on paper.  It’s a good thing that this doesn’t matter much or we wouldn’t be able to beat USC or Oregon.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Good experience is 5 guys who have all played with each other.  As Norm Chow often says, “The offensive line is the most important part of a successful offense.”  We have two starters back as you mentioned and another part-time guy.  IMO – overall, we have an inexperienced line.  I didn’t say bad.  But, these guys will need to learn to play together.

crazyute
          Ute Fan
          @crazyute

Then half anyone has an experienced offensive line by your standards. Hope many teams return all 5 starters.
          We have 4 guys with starting experience coming back that have played together. That’s not an inexperienced group. And a freshman that redshirted but got time in 4 games.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

Manny Bowen is an instant impact player. I don’t think our defense loses a step at all. In fact, it could be better than this season.

crazyute
      Ute Fan
      @crazyute

Not to mention both bernard or Thompson aren’t inexperienced like the OP indicated

2 5

Anonymous
      Ute Fan
      @anonymous

Debating with these few red-goggled people is an exercise in futility. They can’t understand what a good athlete means even with a dictionary and youtube videos. Red, good. Blue, bad.

1 2

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Wilson handed in probably the best performance of any College QB playing in the state of Utah. 

3 3

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

So, you’d take his performance vs Western Michigan over Shelley’s second half performance over BYU, outscoring BYU 35-7 and leading Utah on 4 scoring drives to win the game? 

Uh…ok. 

You’d take Wilson’s performance vs a crappy G5 team over Huntley’s 374 yards and 5 TD’s over USC?

Good lord man. Come on. 

1 1

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Wilson’s performance is so common let’s see it replicated. Just give him props and move on. I already told you my opinion on the Utah vs TDS game. Utah beat them with depth and health. Tds ran out of gas Utah was not prepared at all. It was almost like Niu except Wilson made plays unlike the crap NIU runs. 

Shelley’s come back equally impressive doesn’t happen often. It was against a beat down TDS who wore out. 

3 2

Utah
              Ute Fan
              @utah

So, what about Love’s 5 TD’s vs BYU and Huntley’s 5 TD’s and almost 400 yards vs USC? 

And Utah beat BYU with depth? So, why didn’t Wilson put BYU on his back and lead them to a win like Shelley did? 

1 1

EagleMountainUte
                Ute Fan
                @battlegroundute

Depth and OC.  Utah tighten up it’s defensive rotations and TDS ran out of players. OC Grimes didn’t want to use Wilson’s legs it was stand in there hand off, hold onto the lead and don’t screw up. You think you would be familiar with TDS losing that way as Utah has done it repeatedly in the PAC. 

Huntley made a mistake early in that USC game. Fumble six. It was a good win against a terrible USC team at home. 

Love’s was impressive still not a perfect performance. 

Anonymous
                  Ute Fan
                  @anonymous

You are wasting your time. Your prerogative. 🙂

EagleMountainUte
                    Ute Fan
                    @battlegroundute

Yeah I don’t work until tonight so it really is.

It is funny how he views that TDS game. Hey @Utah what was your predicted score of the Utah TDS game?  

Distantute
                      Ute Fan
                      @distantute

Id take ty all day every day over wilson.  Utah will be better at every position again.  Utah came out flat against byu which wasnt surprising given 1) just wrapped up south division 2) game didnt mean anything regarding conference 3) playing in conf championship next week 4) byu wasnt very good 5) this was byus super bowl 6) injuriesvto our two best offensive players.  Once they woke up theee wasnt any question who was far superior.  If utah comes out motivated, which they will first game of season against a non fcs school, urah will steamroll. Having Ty back will be a huge difference as shelley is nice backup, but not close to Ty aa a qb.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Bytheway, I am fine with all the thumbs downs on my post.  I was just expressing my thoughts about the team down south.  I never expected everyone or even anyone to agree.  It’s just what I think as of today.  That could changed in the next 8 months.

I just want Utah to win and would love to have tjhem wion big!

Go Utes!!!

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

I just saw that Army put up the most points in FBS bowl history today (70). I wonder if Michigan fans are sweating their 2019 season-opening game against Army right now? SMH…

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

They might be.  I have no idea who Army has returning, but they have a very good team right now.  They took final four Oklahoma to OT.  They are tough to defend.  But, they won’t just have one week to prepare for them.

I guarantee you there will be some serious concern in Ann Arbor for the Cadets.

crazyute
        Ute Fan
        @crazyute

Greatest team bowl performance in history!

…. oh wait, never mind….

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football IMO we should not under-estimate the team down south.