Injured CBs weren’t the core reason the D got annihilated

Viewing 4 reply threads

MotherJabubu
      Ute Fan
      @motherjabubu

We generated absolutely zero pass rush with our front 4 the entire game. Healthy corners would not have saved us. Stroud would have picked us apart either way with all day to throw. Not even 5* all american studs can cover WRs that long.

We desperately need a monster DE who is a terror on the QB. Like Orchard’s great season. Or Dimick. It’ll make this defense sooo much better. Anywho, good season and hopefully we can snag another Pac-12 trophy under Rising. <3 you all

MtnUte
      Ute Fan
      @mountainute

It’ll be interesting to see what we get in the transfer portal.

Ute2
      Ute Fan
      @ute2

These two things are totally tied together.  You can’t blitz if you can’t cover.  You just get torched on quick routes.

CB injuries completely hamstrung what we could do with our defensive game plan.  

UTE98
        Ute Fan
        @ute98

Wish our D could have guessed right on a couple crossing routes and dropped 8, then on those longer passed dialed up some full on blitzes. I don’t remember any corner blitzes from the blind side which may have gotten there once or twice, could have dropped a LB into coverage in the middle on those. Then the safety taking one on one. But their OL ate up our rushers pretty well. And looking at the stats throughout the game, their rushing attack failed, and unlike many teams their passing game was sufficient to overcome it.

Still a great game, and so glad to see us put up 45 on their defense. Oregon put up 35, Michigan put up 42. And they were averaging giving up 20.9 if I recall correctly.

7 1

Utecity
      Ute Fan
      @utecity

There’s definitely truth to what you are saying. I think with another offseason to develop and get stronger some of these young guys we have on the D-line could really become difference makers next year. We accomplished an insane amount this year considering the youth we had on the field, and I only see this team getting better in all phases next season

DrJazzy
      Ute Fan
      @docute

It was the ‘core reason’. Why do you think we didn’t blitz more? The depleted secondary was getting killed – credit Ohio St and Stroud for figuring it out after the first couple series. 

The second half adjustment by Utah was basically drop back in coverage and try to pressure with 4. We couldn’t – that Ohio St O-line was DOMINENT. 

I do think trying a couple well-timed blitzes as a try something different type of plan was reasonable…and if you watch they did send a few blitzes…but Ohio St easily picked them up and Stroud found the hot reads for big gains/1st downs/more TDs. With a fully healthy secondary – I have to think defensively we look much better. Stroud will still get 300+ and Smith will Smith…but we force at least one punt in the 2nd half lol. 

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Injured CBs weren’t the core reason the D got annihilated