Defense Schemes and Evolution

Viewing 3 reply threads

Wilson’s Mustache
      Ute Fan
      @sigmaute

Here is a pretty interesting read on Iowa’s defense and how they have managed to mantain one of the best defenses in the country despite continuing to run a base 4-3 instead of moving to a Nickel (like Utah) or dime base package like most of the country.

I only bring this up because I think Utah compares to Iowa in many ways (especially defensively) and Utah has an incredible and unique talent at lb (Chase Hansen) that would allow Utah to stay in a 4-3 defense against run heavy teams like NIU, Stanford, USC, etc.

Big difference is Utah runs a lot more man coverage. I’m not sure how Iowa would fair in the PAC-12 where spread offenses are very different than the run heavy spread offenses found in the B1G.

Here is the link, let me know what your thoughts are.

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2018/8/17/17702566/how-iowa-hawkeyes-continues-to-hold-up-in-base-defense-chris-doyle-niemann-brothers-4-3-defense

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

It’s a good read, but Utah and Iowa have completely different philosophies with their base defense. Iowa is a zone coverage while Utah is man coverage. 

Plus, the Big 10 is still three yards and a cloud of dust. The formations have changed but the plays are the same. 

The PAC-12 is air it out baby. I think Utah’s philosophy is the right one for Utah. The 4-3 would get crushed out here. 

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I do agree about Chase. He allows you to do so much. As does Bernard. Both can cover WR’s and TE’s. We are incredibly flexible. Against Weber State, Chase lined up as a DE with his hand in the found a couple of times. 

Its a thing of beauty. 

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Also, with how amazing our DT’s are, we have options there as well. Last year, Fotu played DE vs Stanford. I’d bet we see that again vs Washington and Stanford, maybe USC. Can you imagine a 5-2 front, with three DT’s, Anae and Chase on the line, Bernard and Blair as LB’s, and our secondary? 

Our defense is soooooo freaking good. 

Chidojuan
      Ute Fan
      @chidojuan

This is why I was so excited to have Bernard added to the team. He’s good against the run and the pass, and either he or Hansen could “play” the nickel position against run heavy teams, but be utilized more like a linebacker so the formation would be a 4-3 for all intents and purposes. Especially against Stanford, if they pull out their 22 personnel formation, the key is gap integrity and switching to a 4-3, or in this case, putting in a bigger nickel to cover the run, allows you to maintain perfect gap integrity. Then if you get them to 3rd and long, Bernard’s or Hansen’s size allows you to cover their big receivers and tight ends without asking too much of your DB’s. Don’t get me wrong, Pirtle and Thompson are great, but Bernard could really be the X-factor against run heavy offenses.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Exactly. Like I said above, having Bernard and Chase changes everything (even Blair). We are so flexible. We can stack the box vs Stanford and when they try to play action the TE’s we can cover that too. 

There are no mismatches for the offense to try to exploit. 

Distantute
          Ute Fan
          @distantute

Give me D.Thompson over Bernard any day of the week.  

TheJuggernaut
          Ute Fan
          @thejuggernaut

Arcega-Whiteside will be a mismatch against every team Stanford plays. I’m interested to see how Utah defends him.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Defense Schemes and Evolution