Is it just me or….

Viewing 6 reply threads

UtahMan12
      Ute Fan
      @utahman12

do others feel the same in regards to our offense? I definitely don’t feel as confident in the offense as I am in the defense, but I feel if we have 2-3 quarters of really good offense I would be much more at ease with our schedule. At the same time, hence my uneasiness, it can take just 2-3 more quarters to prove our offense isn’t going to score more than certain opponents and we are stuck relying on the defense again. I know we have the talent but its hard to put money on our offense when I haven’t been “convinced” enough. Heres hoping the staff has been holding back a bit prior to conference play. I think Oregon is a great time to prove this.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Coach was asked if he was holding back prior to conference play. He said no. The conservative, power offense and good defense have served Whitt well and I don’t see it changing much unless we get some more talented players at key positions.

UtahMan12
        Ute Fan
        @utahman12

Do you feel Whit is playing the question all together? I wonder how many coaches hold back a bit during non-conference games prior to their first conference game. Not disagreeing, just wondering.

rbmw263
          Ute Fan
          @rbmw263

Whitt would never say yes to that question. Especially if he actually was holding back. That said, I dont think we were.

Anonymous
        Inactive

Though DC was much maligned, he did come into Utah and tell them there is no way you can win with the Turnover Margin you have. There is no way you can win throwing 18 INTs against 16 TDs. So they pulled back on trying to win games based on the passing game first and emphasized the run game. Some whine that they put a leash on Travis Wilson. I would argue that they altered the game plan to fit his abilities while emphasizing ball control. Many will complain that this is not sexy, but at the end of the day, scoreboard is what matters, especially for coach looking to keep his job. Just be prepared for low scoring games with the outcome determined by 2 to 3 key plays.

Hockeybeard
      Ute Fan
      @hockeybeard

I’ve re-watched the first 25 minutes (1st Quarter and half of 2nd Quarter until TW gets injured) and I’m convinced that THAT offense can get it done in this conference. No, we will not score eleventy-billion points and boat-race inferior teams…but we WILL win with a suffocating defense, soul-crushing special teams, and some consistent, grind-your-face-into-dust punishing offensive drives led by our running game.

Is it Saturday yet?

UtahMan12
      Ute Fan
      @utahman12

I feel we can get it done, maybe Im always comparing our offense to the Alex Smith and B Johnson days when I was a student. We sure got spoiled with our offensive production under those guys. I also feel its hard to be a player and not have a consistent coaching staff year in and year out. I do like our staff, just too new to see how well they can be together.

Hockeybeard
        Ute Fan
        @hockeybeard

But even with BJohnson in 2008 – there were times our offense was terrible. I remember a game where Johnson was responsible for 3 turnovers I think…but we still got it done at the end of the day. The only thing that matters when its all said and done is how many W’s can be counted.

GadValleyUte
          Ute Fan
          @maximumkungfu

I thought we had exactly one good year of genuinely good offense: 2004. My recollection on 2008 was we played just well enough to be in it at the end and BJ was in such command that when he got to run the 2 minute drill he could orchestrate at a very high level. The Alabama game was so shocking because we did just the opposite: we ran the 2 minute drill 3 times early on, got a lead and held it. When Bama got close again we let Brian off the leash again. Nope our offense has lacked pizzazz and really had no identity for a decade. Every year I hope we develop something watchable and every year I am disappointed. Oh well. Such is life.

rbmw263
          Ute Fan
          @rbmw263

Ludwig tried to make that 08 offense something it wasnt. It had special potential, and we saw that towards the end of the year

UtahMan12
      Ute Fan
      @utahman12

I hear ya hockey, too many heart attack wins even with those undefeated seasons.

UteStuckInSeattle
      Ute Fan
      @utestuckinseattle

You can see a difference this year in our offense when Wilson is at the helm. It’s not a HUGE difference but I think it brings enough variety and production to get us another win or two above last year.

10-2 has a nice ring to it and I honestly don’t think it’s an unrealistic outcome.

I’m REALLY looking forward to Saturday to what our Utes can accomplish in Autzen.

Hockeybeard
        Ute Fan
        @hockeybeard

I like 10-2…and with the way ASU, USC, and UCLA have been playing, it may be enough to win the south if we can upset AZ…

UteStuckInSeattle
          Ute Fan
          @utestuckinseattle

I think Zona is the key this year. Rich Rod always seems to have our number each year, and we’re at their place.

If we can knock them off along with two out of ASU, USC, and UCLA then we’re in business.

Wilson’s Mustache
        Ute Fan
        @sigmaute

Get out of here with your optimism. Are you sure you’re a Utah fan?

All kidding aside I think Utah will go anywhere from 7-5 to 10-2. I think 10-2 get us into the PAC-12 championship game. If I had to guess though I’d say we go 9-3 with losses to Arizona, USC & wait for it….Oregon. Unfortunately football is just too unpredictable with injuries & everything else. There isn’t a team on our schedule I don’t think Utah can’t beat.

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

We are a tough team to beat when we don’t turn the ball over.

Here’s an idea I’d like to see when we punt. Teams are putting two returners deep which counters the benefits of the rugby style punt. This gives us numbers when it comes to a fake. Whitt has said as much. Something is cooking here. Here’s my wild idea. Put a sturdy QB like Chase Hansen in a deep shotgun with Hackett to his side and run an option punt type play. If the return team keeps two men deep, look for the option (pass or Chase runs) if it’s not there, flip to Hackett and he punts on the run. If they pull one of the two deep men to support the fake, Chase flips to Hackett and he punts the hell out of it rugby style away from the return man.

Anonymous
        Inactive

I like this idea, we should take advantage.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Is it just me or….