Is it possible to ensure that Utah will win the South before playing Colorado?

Viewing 2 reply threads

UteDuke
      Ute Fan
      @uteduke

So, I can’t really say that I fully understand the tiebreaker rules in the PAC-12, but it seems that it would still be possible for Utah to win the South regardless of what happens in Boulder at the end of the season. It would be a long shot, but I see it as needing 3 things to happen:

1. Utah must beat Oregon at home next week (A good chance of happening).

2. USC loses to UW this week, then beats UCLA the following weekend (Likely).

3. Colorado loses to both Arizona and WSU (Here is the stretch…).

If these things happen, would it guarantee Utah wins the South? USC would finish at 6-3 in conference with Colorado at 5-3 and Utah at 6-2 going into the final game. If Colorado won, all 3 teams would be at 6-3 and would be 1-1 against eachother. Colorado would be eliminated for having lost to 2 south teams, and Utah would then beat USC in overall win percentage. 

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Regardless, I hope they just go ahead and beat the Buffs and fight for that Rose Bowl berth!!!

popbirch
      Ute Fan
      @popbirch

Utah would win any 6-3 or 7-2 threeway tie. In order for that to happen, without us needing to beat, Colorado needs to lose two more (UA and WSU).
      In order for that to definitely give us the championship win or lose to colorado, like you said, USC needs to lose either to UW or UCLA (doesn’t matter which) to get to three losses but they can’t lose both.

The other scenarios to get us the south champ and go to the champ game involve us beating colorado.
      1. USC wins out and utah wins out and colorado’s only other loss it utah gives a 7-2 three way tie for first. We win that tie breaker. Head to head colorado’s out because they went 0-2 vs usc/utah. Then back to head to head and we beat USC so we go.
      2. Tie with only Colorado at 6-3 or 7-2 we have to beat them to go to the champ game.

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

Just win baby!

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Is it possible to ensure that Utah will win the South before playing Colorado?