Is there a reason anyone feels like Harding deserves a pass at this point?

Viewing 3 reply threads

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

Based on production on the field? If it’s just a matter of not being able to hire/afford anyone better, then fine. But other than that, why do people defend him? His group has been the weak link for years. You could argue they cost us a Pac12 championship. And if it weren’t for Huntley and his ability to scramble, we probably don’t even make it to that game. If our D-line performed this poorly, you better believe Whitt would bring in someone else.

I’m genuinely curious to know why fans continue to support him. Every camp we hear about how talented our O-line is and then this is the product we get. I don’t get it.

SantaVaca
      Ute Fan
      @santavaca

Ya I’ve lost faith in Harding. Although is it his fault that the play call on 4th and 2 was a run up the middle? That had, at best, a 15 – 20% chance of working in my opinion.

Why not run a sweep or roll Brewer out for a short dump off pass to a TE? Anything but a predictable run up the middle from shotgun would have been better. When we couldn’t get 2 feet last week against Weber on the goaline, we should have realized right then that our offensive line is not good.

From everything we hear, Harding is a great recruiter. However, if we don’t improve soon, I can’t imagine Whit will bring him back next year.

Ludwig has to find a way to convert 3rd down plays. 2 for 11 isn’t going to get it down once conference play starts.

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

I’m fine with making an upgrade at any coaching position if it’s for the better. But here’s a couple things to consider about yesterdays loss and the assignment of blame to any particular position group. 

1) Utah averaged more yards per play than BYU. (6.7 to 4.8 total) (7.6 to 4.8 rushing) (5.7 to 5.0 passing) stat link

2) Total offense of both teams is almost dead even, except Utah had 25 less plays than BYU. 

3) Why so man less plays? Because of 2 turnovers BACK TO BACK TO START THE GAME and Utah’s vaunted D-line gave up 250 YARDS RUSHING and got ZERO SACKS which allowed BYU to control the game and have the upper hand on time of possession. Whitt Lamented that we got pushed off the ball defensively again and again. Link Now, in the Defenses defense, they got put in a tough situation and actually played well to start the game, but I think they got worn down as the game went on because of the turnovers. 

4) Some blame can be had for the O-line for the low 3rd down conversion rate but hear me out on play calling. BYU has the box stacked and we are not under center but in the shot gun. We hike the ball, the running back has to wait for the read option before getting any momentum, and BYU sends a blitz against a stagnat QB and RB. Recipe for bad timing and no momentum for the RB to surge at the same time as the o-line, and many times was a sitting duck. 

5) All in all, I believe the o-line was good enough to win the game. Harding gets blamed a ton, but he’s not calling the plays, he’s not assigning the blocks during the install, that’s Ludwig.

I’m not defending Harding, go ahead and replace, but let’s not pretend this game was lost squarely on the O-line when it looks like some position groups performed worse and play calling could have really helped them out. 

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

It’s not his fault guys can’t stay healthy but……there were a ton of missed assignments last night from the interior OL which was supposed to be the strength of the line this year.

Ford has been awful at C not only is he missing block some of his snaps actually have arc on them and could be timed with a sundial.

Now is that Coaching or his Ford just bad but he’s the best we have?

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

Is that 100% on Harding, or does Ludwig share in blame there too?

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Is there a reason anyone feels like Harding deserves a pass at this point?