Is there any truth to the post from yesterday

Viewing 5 reply threads
      6 1

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

That Jackson is now QB2 and Johnson is a close QB3.  I don’t have a dog in this fight and I would be fine with this.  However, it seems contrary to what I have been hearing.  I heard that Barnes was in a tight race with Jackson for QB2.  If the post was right – Barnes is at best QB4.  It seems odd to me that the coaches would make this decision just hours after the first scrimmage.  They typically evaluate film before making such a crucial decision.  I am very hopeful for Johnson’s future – so I hope he is showing well in camp.

Is there any verifiable news about the QB race?  OnlyU are you out there?

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

Good question.  I was wondering the same thing….

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

It would have been nice to get some context behind that post. Where did you hear Barnes is competing for QB2 with Jackson?

PhiladelphiaUte
        Ute Fan
        @philadelphiaute

It was reported in the DNews last spring.

PhiladelphiaUte
        Ute Fan
        @philadelphiaute

Also last Wednesday

“…there is an ongoing competition to be Cam Rising’s backup.

Texas transfer Ja’Quinden Jackson and unlikely Rose Bowl hero Bryson Barnes are competing for QB2, along with freshmen Nate Johnson and Brandon Rose.”

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

There have been many people interviewed on the Bill Riley show (including players) who have discussed the QB2 battle between Barnes and Jackson.  All of these interviews took place before the scrimmage.  So, something could have changed on Saturday.  It was reported on this board on Saturday that the QB2 position was taken by Jackson and that Johnson was now in the mix.

All of this may indeed be true.  I would just like to know the sources behind this information. 

I will be cheering for whoever plays QB for our Utes.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Ok. I was just wondering if you were hearing anything personally from anyone within the program.

Dog luuver26
      Ute Fan
      @dogluuver26

You guys just believe anything you read huh? 

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

Barnes is not flashing. He’s a steady game manager who won’t make many mistakes. Student of the game type.

Jackson is an athletic freak who never received any real QB coaching in HS. Just win based on being a better athlete than everyone else.

He’s big he’s fast he’s strong but when he got here he could only make one read and than took off running.

Ludwig has done wonders with him and he’s very receptive to learning.

He if can show that he can stay in the pocket and go through his progressions and make the right throw limiting his mistakes he’ll be #2.

As far as Johnson goes. He’s been very impressive for a true freshman. He will absolutely redshirt this season to learn the playbook and gain some weight. He’s as fast and quick as any player in college today with a good arm.

Next year there is every expectation he will be in the running to replace Rising.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

I’m usually not a big fan of kids changing positions until it is proven that they don’t have a path to being the starter at their chosen position. However, Johnson is intriguing since he played receiver in high school until the starter graduated.

I don’t believe Dixon or the other candidates for slot were ever QB’s so they can’t really provide everything that Covey did. Having Johnson play the slot on certain packages that the staff wanted the ability to run reverses or perhaps a double pass might be a wrinkle that can be incorporated over the course of the season and if deployed properly, might be a game changer. We know the reverse pass is in the playbook since Covey threw it to Huntley a couple of times.

I wouldn’t want to mess up a redshirt year for a trick play. But if Johnson could provide value in the receiving game for the full year, and eventually turn into another DeVonte Christopher, I think it’s something that you need to consider.

RustyShackleford
          Ute Fan
          @shakyute13

Johnson is not a WR dude. He is going to be an insane QB for us. Putting him at WR would be wasteful. Jackson may be put at other positions

2008 National Champ
            Ute Fan
            @cptmrgn05

Have you seen Johnson’s sophomore tape?

Many highly touted HS QB’s fail. I have no insight on whether Johnson will succeed or become the insane QB you are ready to anoint. He does have experience at another position which to me makes it as much or more likely that he can be successful somewhere besides QB which many on here already assume Jackson can/will.

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

I don’t want to diminish what Barnes did in the Rose Bowl last year…kind of similar to what Lisk did against WSU. Bigger stage for sure but it was only a series or two and a pass or two vs. a whole half in Drew’s case but a folk hero nonetheless.

Easy to get enamored with the story, walk-on throws a huge TD pass in the Rose Bowl, competing for the job, etc., BUT there are multiple highly ranked QB’s on campus now in what might be the best overall QB room we’ve ever had. For Bryson to hold them all off would be insane and just not very realistic. If you remember, the players often commented on how Lisk “could really spin it” and they weren’t wrong. These kids can play…they wouldn’t be on the roster at a high level D1 if they couldn’t. It would have to be a series of injuries for Barnes to get enough chances to actually prove himself. Not impossible but all I’ll say is don’t count on it.

JaQuinden and Nate possess everything Ludwig covets in a QB…Bryson is more mobile than you think but not in the same universe as the other two so as long as they can make the right reads, run the offense and take care of the ball they’ll surpass BB.

RustyShackleford
      Ute Fan
      @shakyute13

Barnes made some great plays in the Rose bowl but there is a reason he was a walk on. He lacks the tools that Johnson And Jackson have. Barnes ceiling is Adam Shultz/Drew Lisk IMO where Nate Johnson is Tyler Huntley 2.0 but bigger and smarter. Jackson was almost a 5* recruit and his potential is through the roof.

D T
        Ute Fan
        @azute1

Why would you say NJ is smarter than TH?

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Wondering the same. Huntley had a high football IQ. If Johnson is smarter, he must be super smart.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Is there any truth to the post from yesterday