JaQuindon Jackson ladies and gentlemen

Viewing 11 reply threads

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

First of a few announcements to be made in the coming days/weeks. Massive get to add to the QB room. Look at that offer sheet!

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

If ratings hold true he’s the highest rated player in this class and was a top 50 kid last year that headed to Texas! Buddies with Ty Jordan.

Crazyforu
        Ute Fan
        @crazyforu

Keep ‘em coming buddy!

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

Does he have to sit out a year?

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

The NCAA is expected to rule that everyone gets one free transfer without penalty.

Jake
      Ute Fan
      @jutahfootball

He definitely watched the game today and knew he had a good chance lol. Great pickup!

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

Are you serious!? That’s un-freakin believable.

DrahtUte
      Ute Fan
      @drahtute

No way!! That is incredible!

1 27

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

I mean, the rest of our transfer qbs have been pretty bad so… yay?

Obviously we needed someone to transfer in so this isn’t a bad thing, but getting the leftovers of teams that have been performing at our level or worse isn’t exactly a dream come true to this fan.

Won’t be surprised if he does well. Won’t be shocked if he sucks monkey nuts like Bentley.

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

Well this guy isn’t a 5 year guy. This is a top 50 kid from last Fall who won the back up job at Texas, played championship HS ball in Texas. He’s not some retread…Was rated as the #3 dual threat QB in last years class. This is a big time addition to go along with Costelli…220 pound kid that runs a 4.6.

ALUF
          Ute Fan
          @dbgii77

So why is he transferring? I don’t know his story

UteHorn21
            Ute Fan
            @utehorn21

Rumors are the OC Texas brought in this year (Mike Yuricic) likes a more complete passer. Texas asked him if he would move to defense and he entered the portal.

UteHorn21
          Ute Fan
          @utehorn21

He was 4th on the depth chart at Texas.

1. Ehlingher
          2. Thompson
          3. Card
          4. JQJ

2 17

chinngiskhaan
            Ute Fan
            @chinngiskhaan

The 4th qb, on a team that isn’t much better than us.

If he was anything close to a top half of the conference qb (which is what we need), he wouldn’t be transferring.

We’ve had three big time transfer qbs since joining the pac12. All of them were talked up to no end. Troy Williams was the #1 dual threat guy no? He wasn’t the 4th guy on the depth chart, he actually started…

I’m going to amend my previous statement: I’ll believe he doesn’t suck monkey ballsack when I see him making the rest of the team better (instead of being a massive anchor like most of our qbs. And I mean making them better with his play, not his can do attitude.

Recruiting rankings boosts are nice, but my money is on this guy not being very good.

Unfortunately for us not very good is better than the other options we have.

Lastly, I simply cannot trust in lud’s ability to evaluate a transfer QB.

Waybackutefan
              Ute Fan
              @waybackutefan

So whats your negative opinion of Costelli?  I mean most of Utahs Freshmen QB’s they recruited out of HS have been meh so why bother doing anything. Woe is me….

chinngiskhaan
                Ute Fan
                @chinngiskhaan

When did I say we shouldn’t do anything? I explicitly said jqj is not a bad thing. I’m just saying, history suggests he’ll be a stop gap solution if we are lucky.

Getting him had to happen, I’m just not convinced that the 4th string guy at an above average program will be anything much more than the same for this above average program.

I’m more optimistic about costelli. Rather than being skeptical in regards to his talent, I simply don’t know what to expect.

Either way, having those two guys plus rising increases our odds of not sucking at QB. Jordan is an al time great talent. If we can just have a guy who can hit open receivers, and not turn it over we will win the rose bowl soon.

UteBacker
        Ute Fan
        @utebacker

Chinngiskhaan, I’m with you on this transfer portal stuff.  The more players I see come out of there the more I see why the entered in the first place.

HOWEVER, we need to give this one a chance:

1) He’s a Freshman, not a one-year patch job.  He hasn’t even had time to know how good he is yet.

2) We could have absolutely whiffed on our evaluation of this guy: but that means so did Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma & Texas A&M, who all offered him.

3) On paper he has the physical tools to be a quality QB.  Let’s see what he has above the neck.

4) We needed to add SOMETHING to our QB depth.  After yesterday, I think we’ll lose Bentley one way or another, Lisk will probably throw in the towel, I don’t trust Rising’s recovery schedule at all and we have a true freshman that skipped his senior year of high school football.  Throw in some other non-scholarship kids and we needed to do something to add depth in a hurry.

5) It’s all a crap-shoot, but you could do worse than having a four-star kid that was recruited by almost all of the top teams in the South.

6) If he doesn’t pan out, maybe he’ll listen to Whitt & co on making a position move. If wants to play in the league he needs to be smart and listen to Whitt.

I get it.  I’m pessimistic with transfers too, but I think this one is a little extra intriguing.

UTUTE
        Ute Fan
        @utute

@chinngis…Did you even read a bit about him?

DallasUte
        Ute Fan
        @dallasute

At minimum, imagine this guy running a few triple option plays in third and short situations with Ty and another RB.  Shoring up that glaring weakness in our game planning would be worth the transfer alone.  Not sure if it will ever happen, but one can hope…

pedro
        Ute Fan
        @pedro

Honestly, do some research.  

MtnUte
      Ute Fan
      @mountainute

Big time!

UteHorn21
      Ute Fan
      @utehorn21

Quite possibly one of the strangest transfers I’ve ever seen. Big time recruit, no idea what he’ll be going forward. Tore his ACL in the playoffs his senior year of HS.

Strengths:
      Very athletic
      Big and strong
      Good arm strength

Cons
      Throwing accuracy
      Decision making

A lot of us Texas fans wanted to see what he could do on the defensive side of the ball. He sees himself as a D1 QB1 so here we are. As a Texas/Utah fan I’m excited to see if he pans out. I still think Rising is the guy next year.

OP, it’s Ja’Quinden btw or us Texas fans called him JQJ

ALUF
        Ute Fan
        @dbgii77

Ooo accuracy…hope he isn’t another Bentley. I’ll believe it when I see it, but it’s exciting to know people want to be here

richute
      Ute Fan
      @richute

Is there any insight on whether he will win the qb job next year?

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

How on earth can there be insight into that with so many unknowns?

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

I also believe Rising is the guy next year (if healthy) but I’m not so sure we know who will be competing for the job just yet.

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

Wow, this is AMAZING news! Sorry for being late to the party…I’m on the east coast and had gone to bed and being that it’s Sunday, I got to sleep in. Didn’t realize I’d be waking up to Christmas morning!! Rising, Costelli, and now JQJ…let’s go! And we’re not even done?! Can’t wait for 2021, 2022, and 2023…it’s a great day to be a Ute!!!

concerned
      Ute Fan
      @concerned

I have heard there is concern on the staff that Rising’s labrum may never be the same.

Danilo
        Ute Fan
        @dan7

Funny how yesterday everyone is complaining about the lack of QB depth and after scoring one of the top QBs in the portal the complaints are already coming out. I agree we haven’t hit the jackpot in the portal yet but we NEEDED another QB and this is a major get for us. Super stoked. Hope it pans out well!

Tednab
          Ute Fan
          @tednab

… so TY JORDAN recruited him. I have more trust in him, than our coaching staff ; when it comes to QBs .. regardless this spot is a glaring need and needs to be addressed soon . This team is packed with playmakers and no quarterback

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

Always concern with rehab but excited about the prognosis post surgery for Rising. I’m optimistic but that’s who I am.

Jackson may have been listed as the 4 but only because he’s coming off an ACL and like Hubert wasn’t quite ready at the beginning of the Fall. Herman even talks recently about him not trusting it yet but wanted to get him in these last couple of games as he’s progressed.. You don’t mention trying to get your true freshman “4th string QB” in games. Quite possibly the highest rated recruit ever in the building to go along with the best class ever brought in but yeah he sucks, transfers don’t work out, he was buried in their depth chart, blah, blah, blah.

Really excited to hear your “what has he done, why is he transferring” take when the next one hits.

MDUte
          Ute Fan
          @mdute

Does JQJ count for this 2021 class? People have been speculating if Ika were to come to Utah what that would mean to our class ranking. But now that JQJ has committed, I noticed it didn’t affect our team ranking…which would make sense since both were part of prior year classes. I am just curious how this works?

Onlyu
            Ute Fan
            @uf8fl

Neither count but if you were to add Jackson’s rating it takes the class to #20.

Look the portal changes the game…this isn’t like it used to be when transfers were much more complicated and almost always came with baggage. The world or participation trophies allows these kids to move freely when they’re not happy. It’s gonna be a part of the college football world for years to come so embrace it.

MDUte
              Ute Fan
              @mdute

Thanks for clarifying! We’ve definitely taken another step forward…so excited!!

Crazyforu
          Ute Fan
          @crazyforu

Damnit, can’t wait to hear who the hell it is!!!

UtahUtesRock
          Ute Fan
          @utahutesrock

You probably know this but there always exists a portion of people who get enjoyment in being negative. Not clear on the psychology but it’s a thing. I just gloss over those types of posts. Great news. Without this we would be going into next year with an injured starter and a freshman with no college experience. 

noneyadb
          Ute Fan
          @noneyadb

With success comes expectations. Embrace the criticism. Excited to see JQJ compete.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Don’t understand any of the hate coming on here. Everyone knows Herman is a dead man walking. Don’t be surprised to see other highly touted kids transfer out. As OnlyU already said, if he really was 4th string, why was Herman wanting to play him? That makes ZERO sense. The kid has a chance to be good, give him that chance before talking s**t about him.

UTUTE
        Ute Fan
        @utute

Doesn’t look like Texas fans are happy at all about his exodus. That might be a very good thing

Tednab
        Ute Fan
        @tednab

I think the majority is excited about this . The hesitation has been the program’s inability to recruit and develop QBs ; as Utahs long history has shown .. I do think Utah is doing everything it can to fix this , and we’re treading in the right direction . this kid has a lot talent and potential to be great

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

The majority is, but I don’t understand the few. For the first time there will be three, 4 star QB’s on the roster. And I’m sure more will come in the next year or two. They don’t all pan out, but with that much talent, surely one or two of them will.

//r00t4Utes
            Ute Fan
            @r00t4utes

Honestly for all the negative comments and people, if you are just automatically assuming these kids will fail or not live up to the hype. Guess what, odds are you’re right because that’s the nature of sports, kids and professionals fail and don’t pan out more often then succeed.

Enjoy the ride and be happy the U is getting kids higher with higher stars and upside

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football JaQuindon Jackson ladies and gentlemen