Viewing 2 reply threads

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

Ran a 10.13 (!!!!). That is insane.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Can you imagine him and Covey returning kicks/punts?

*shivers*

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

A question for those who know more about football than me: How well does straight-line speed correlate to success in football? I know how coveted sprinters are in football, but is there any data to suggest that a WR who runs a 4.35 is better than one who runs a 4.5? It seems to me that straight-line speed would only help in the open field or when running long routes, but other than that, lateral quickness would be more valuable than speed. Just wondering if there’s any data on speed vs. yards/TDs.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

Not an expert, but once I guy gets in the open field, helps to out race everyone.

That said, its a rare thing to do that, even kick returners with good blocking have to evade a few defenders before getting out in the open field.  Also does he have good hands to catch?

noneyadb
        Ute Fan
        @noneyadb

Compare Covey to John Ross III. Covey is quick laterally but not vertically. Ross III is fast at whatever he does similar to Guidry.

RedLine
          Ute Fan
          @redline

John Ross is the real deal.  If Guidry brings in similar capabilities we’re going to be sitting in great shape offensively. 

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

The crazy thing is that Guidry has some crazy coverage skills. He is good. 

UteDuke
        Ute Fan
        @uteduke

That’s the crazy thing about it though, Utah recruited him as a CB, not a WR. I am very interested to see exactly how they will utilize him. I don’t feel like any receiver is going to be running deep on Guidry without a fight.

I would not be surprised to see him used in an Adoree Jackson style either. Where he would mainly play defense, would return kicks, and could be occasionally plugged into the offense as a diversion or for certain plays.

noneyadb
        Ute Fan
        @noneyadb

After watching some of his highlight films, Guidry seems to be more like a Joe Williams type runner rather then a Ross III, or even Butler-Byrd. He won’t get burned deep, but that elusiveness, and making people look silly isn’t his running style. He has a shuttle time of 4.13 and 4.35 40 time both are quick. Record combine shuttle sub 3.7 seconds. Record 40 time is 4.22 by Ross. 

KiYi-Ute
        Ute Fan
        @kiyi-ute

Just ask Al Davis, he seemingly drafted based solely off of 40 times.

Sometimes it works, most of the time it does not. Speed is something you can’t coach. But I’d rather have a slightly slower player who is coachable and works hard, than someone who just tries to get by on their speed and doesn’t develop much else.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Javelin guidry just won’t the California State 100m championship