Jaylon Glover bumped up to 4*

Viewing 3 reply threads

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

Great news for Glover…should’ve happened awhile ago.

FtheY
      Ute Fan
      @fthey

Great news! Thanks MD.

Looks like Lander Barton got another bump too, now up to .9458. 

The averages don’t reflect them yet, but I bet they will tomorrow or the next day. This should be enough to bump our average up for the best class ever, yet again. 

D T
        Ute Fan
        @azute1

.8733 class avg….Best ever!

FtheY
          Ute Fan
          @fthey

You’re right, just updated! 

Domt know if that captured one or both bumps. One can hope it will rise again tomorrow!!

MDUte
          Ute Fan
          @mdute

Yes it is! And by class avg ratings, .8733 would have Utah at #24 in the country.

Incredible how Whitt and staff continue to raise the bar each and every year. Can’t wait for next season…Go Utes! 

younglurch
            Ute Fan
            @younglurch

I remember how a few weeks ago some BYU fans were trolling Utah because their overall team ranking was higher than ours. How the tables have turned….

Ghost of the HEB
      Ute Fan
      @deseretgentlman

Would’ve been 4* months ago if he was committed to SEC school or FSU or Miami. Ratings system will give kids bumps just for committing to certain schools. And they will undervalue kids for being committed to others.

OldAsDirtUte
        Ute Fan
        @oldasdirtute

I wonder…

If Utah is finally getting some of that cachet of ‘certain schools’?

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

I think you could make that argument for defensive players and rb recruits.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

His height has been the only thing keeping him from a higher rating. If he was 5-10 instead of 5-7 with the rest of the measurables and high school stats the same, he would have been pushing 5 star and already have committed to Alabama.

As long as his game translates at the college level like Jordan’s did, Utah got a steal.

14 4

idahoute
      Ute Fan
      @tfute

Why does any of this matter?  If we had donors willing to shell out $30MM to athletes we could have an average rating of .8999…..bunch of crap.  We are witnessing the death of amateur collegiate athletics as we know it.  I don’t begrudge athletes looking to get paid at all but I  personally feel my interest waning when coaching, education, player development, school loyalty, and program trajectory no longer determine what kind of recruits you sign but $ does.  Can you imagine in a couple years trying to tell a 4 star kid “we don’t offer 100K as a signing bonus but we have the MUSS!”  FUBAR

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

I’m with you. Hopefully they come up with some rules governing NIL.

2 9

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

college sports are to the sports world what bowl games are to college football. They both unnecessarily complicate things. They both exist for two reasons. First, because of nostalgia. Second, because there are powerful people benefiting financially off of them in a big way.

I have zero affiliation with the UofU so I honestly don’t care if the program ends up separating from the university and becoming a club of sorts like a soccer team in Europe. Collegiate sports are completely unnecessary. If a kid wants to go to college while playing a sport at an elite level his/her sponsors can pay for their education while they train.

other than tradition, there is zero reasons for college sports to exist. Let our educational institutions focus on that, and let our sports institutions focus on sports. 

UteBacker
          Ute Fan
          @utebacker

A couple of observations:

1) Having a good football team can drive overall enrollment.  It can be a great recruiting tool for the University.

2) You can also argue that there are zero reasons for a lot of degrees to exist.  

chinngiskhaan
            Ute Fan
            @chinngiskhaan

You are not wrong… there are a lot of things that are wrong with the college education system

Stone
          Ute Fan
          @stone

I love college sports, but this is true. College sports began as essentially PE class, evolved into intramurals, then friendly games against other schools, to eventually what we have now. College sports are certainly fun and can be an asset to a university, no question. But, in its current form, it is largely unrelated to the mission of a university (to educate). If one were starting the system from scratch now, it would not make much sense to attach college sports to a university. PE and intramurals, etc. are fun and healthy. But the european soccer model makes more sense in many ways (athletes wanting to focus on their sport, do so in a semi-professional capacity, and get their academic education separately). 

idahoute
            Ute Fan
            @tfute

I agree Stone.  We could call the new D-league football team Real Utah.  ugh.  However the revenue from the “former University” team disappears as do likely the big donors like the Huntsmans and Eccles.  The students and community suffer.  The Universities needs big time athletics but can they afford it is the question?  

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Am I wrong in assuming that PAC membership helped get Utah AAU status? If so, did sports not help the universities academic mission? Being in the PAC 12 has allowed Utah to benefit from sharing resources and research with some top schools.

2008 National Champ
            Ute Fan
            @cptmrgn05

Unfortunately, that says more about the requirements for AAU membership – that you need schools already in the club to support your application – than it does for the quality of the school. It’s nice that Utah got that recognition, but unless the quality of the education dramatically improved from 2011 until Utah was recognized, I question the process.

It sounds more like the old Mastercard commercial – “membership has its privileges” – than a real accomplishment. I’d hate to be told that my Utah education in the 80’s was substandard because Utah wasn’t an AAU school at the time.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Jaylon Glover bumped up to 4*