Jaylon Johnson #9 on the 247 summer countdown list.

Viewing 1 reply thread

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute
      2 3

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

What’s insane is that he’s our second or third best CB. 

4 2

noneyadb
        Ute Fan
        @noneyadb

2nd or 3rd? He’s better than Blackmon. Injured shoulder held him back last year.

Larry B
          Ute Fan
          @larryb

Yep, Jaylon is a legit top tier player. Not only is he our best CB this year, he’ll go down as one of our best ever by the time he leaves.

Puget Ute
            Ute Fan
            @pugetute

That is an amazing statement, considering we are predicted to have a Top 10 Defensive backfield this year. 

JJ is a big part of that.

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

JJ if he remains healthy will be drafted after this season. He is going to be a huge part of this seasons success. More so than Hansen I believe.  

2 1

Puget Ute
                Ute Fan
                @pugetute

Doesn’t he need to be one more year out of high school before he can be drafted?  Eitehr way, he is going to be astounding this year.

EagleMountainUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @battlegroundute

My mistake I keep thinking he sat a year but was a frosh last season. 

Puget Ute
                    Ute Fan
                    @pugetute

It is crazy to think he was playing HS ball 19 months ago.

3 2

Longview
          Ute Fan
          @longview

too early to say he is better than Blackmon.

2 2

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

Well, seeing how Blackmon is a first round prospect, if he’s better than him, DAYYYYMNNN. 

Will he be better than Blackmon? Most likely. But he’s not better than Blackmon right now. He’s not experienced enough yet. 

2 1

noneyadb
            Ute Fan
            @noneyadb

Johnson was one of the highest rated DB’s in the Pac12 last year. I’m surprised you didn’t know this already..

Stone
              Ute Fan
              @stone

Statistically rankings of DBs are imperfect. The above approach is an interesting methodology, being that is based on passer rating “when targeted.”

But if a DB is truly a shut-down DB, the WR he is matched against may rarely get targeted (even if that WR is the best on the opposing team). And, presuming the best DB is matched against the best WR, the stats may be misleading because the best WR will catch difficult passes that a lesser WR cannot catch. I am not disputing that JJ is one of the team’s best, but due to the many variables, a pure statistical ranking of DBs is not a perfect gauge of who is best.

Utah
              Ute Fan
              @utah

lol. Come on man. Here you go:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000939556/article/2018-college-football-season-top-10-defensive-backs-to-watch

I think you should read Stone’s response, go and talk to some people who know football, maybe look up some interviews by college football analysts and come back to the discussion. 

There is a reason why Johnson was targeted so much last year…cause Blackmon is a badass. And Johnson was freaking amazing when targeted. He stepped up big time. But, he ain’t no Blackmon…yet. 

Just enjoy the fact that Blackmon has first round potential and Johnson is lined up opposite him. It’s gonna be amazing. 

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Jaylon Johnson #9 on the 247 summer countdown list.