Joe Williams retired from football…

Viewing 12 reply threads

Kirk Herbstreet
      Ute Fan
      @mariolemute

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Holy crap. What the heck happened here? That’s too bad.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

The good news is, Butler-Byrd is back.

Man, I hope Moss is ready to go. He just became our feature back.

Anonymous
          Inactive

Seemed like against BYU Joe Williams was used to pick up blitzes.  I bet we will see more TE’s in the back providing protection.

UTE98
      Ute Fan
      @ute98

Never mind, saw it in the twitter feeds.

That’s too bad. Hope he is okay and it isn’t something serious.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by UTE98.

Anonymous
        Inactive

1320 was blabbing about it.  Twitter is your best bet.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Whitt announced it just minutes ago on the Coach’s Show.

RedLine
      Ute Fan
      @redline

Comment on Dennis Erickson – From what I understand Erickson pushed Whitt during the game to put Williams back in – a decision Whitt would not do normally. Considering Williams retired days later, I think Erickson knew a lot about the strengths and weaknesses of Williams and maybe knew about his mindset too. Players love him and he really seems to connect with the players he works with. Really hope Erickson says for a long time with the Utes.

Anonymous
        Inactive

So just my thought is what pushed him to retire?

Was it Whitt? Or was it Erickson?

RedLine
          Ute Fan
          @redline

Still unconfirmed on all the details. Some say could be medical to an extent. Who’s to say if a coach pushed the retirement – I kinda doubt that they’d rather have him off the team rather than just lose the starting position. I just liked hearing about Erickson going to bat for a player.

Anonymous
            Inactive

I agree with Whitt’s decision but Erickson was right to have Joe Williams come back in.  He was instrumental in that 11 minute drive despite the going out of bounds catch he had.

Milton Vanderslice
        Ute Fan
        @miltonvanderslice

One more reason that proves how valuable Dennis Erickson is to our program.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I suspect once he lost the starting spot that was too devastating. Plus he might have been getting worked in practice, or worse, getting nothing.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I suspect it was the demotion. Being demoted, his body could recover. He graduates in December and that’s not far off.

Zach Moss looked tremendous. It would have been nice if Joe stuck around, as you never know what can happen injury wise.

Wilson’s Mustache
      Ute Fan
      @sigmaute

Well this sucks. I really thought Joe Williams was going to bounce back and have a good year for us. Guess I was wrong big time.

Did not see this coming. Wow….

FormerUteSax
      Ute Fan
      @formerutesax

On the coaches show Whit said his head just wasn’t in the game because of personal reasons, he lost the passion to play. I think that’s what you saw on the fieldwork the turn overs.

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

Joe was great for us when we needed him at the end of last year. Ill remember him for that. Good luck JW. Always a Ute.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I will remember Joe for getting that 1st down when we absolutely needed it in the Vegas Bowl win over TDS. So sorry that he lost the mojo. Pussy will do that to you.

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Williams retires and Tupai is the Scout Team OFFENSIVE player of the week… Hmmmm

Curious as to what position did Tupai play on offense?

https://twitter.com/Utah_Football/status/775462389185601536

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I wonder if they had Maxs play QB to simulate how big and fast Hill is.

FormerUteSax
      Ute Fan
      @formerutesax

I hope all the best for Joe Williams.

Listening to ESPN 700, Reilley was interviewing Quinton Ganther. He said watching Williams during spring practice he didn’t thing that Williams would make it because he ran high and didn’t protect himself. Quinton hadn’t heard that Williams retired.

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Joe Williams retired from football…