Jon Wilner’s bowl projections

Viewing 4 reply threads

Texasute
      Ute Fan
      @texasute

Interesting insights into the bowl selection selection process.  Holiday Bowl or better would mean a very successful year in my opinion.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/10/19/college-hotline-pac-12-midseason-bowl-projections/

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Holiday bowl or better is always a good season. Always. 

That being said, I don’t get all the Colorado love. They have played two tough defenses, USC and Michigan and they were absolutely worked in both games. 

I know, I know. The USC game had a close score. BUT, Colorado forced 4 TO’s on USC compared to Colorado only giving up 1. And, USC had the “BYU win” wrapped up, dominating in every statistical category. Yeah, that score was close, but the game wasn’t. 
      They have to play Stanford, UCLA, Utah who are all very similar to USC and Michigan defensively. They have to play WSU, who is better than they are offensively. 
      And, they have to play Arizona, which is their only gimmee game, but Arizona always wins a game they shouldn’t every year (see Utah, 2015). 
      Colorado is a lot better than they have been, but they are still a 6 or 7 win team. 

Anonymous
        Inactive

Colorado is doing pretty well despite having a few key injuries. They actually have a pretty good offense as well. The USC loss was a road game against a rising Trojan team. They played Michigan probably as well as anyone has all season. 
        Most of your theories will pan out shortly. 

UTE98
      Ute Fan
      @ute98

I think his inclusion of the $$$$ in the bowl projections is spot on.

Sadly if you think bowls are the same reward they used to be just look at last year and Utah to the Veggie Bowl.

Did I just insinuate we’re better off but not much better off than the MWC bowl picture, with $$$$ trumping record for an upper tier bowl? Yep, unless you qualify for the CFP it’s all about the $$$$, not the best match-ups.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I don’t get all the whining over the Vegas Bowl. Great location, good opponent, good weather…

Had we played in any other bowl, we would have gotten smoked. Unless you are in the playoff, bowl games are largely irrelevant, and we get good  money whether we go to the Vegas Bowl or Holiday Bowl, the Vegas Bowl was a guaranteed win which gave us a 10 win season…

All the whining….smh. 

IrieUte
          Ute Fan
          @irieute

Once the NFL stadium is built, I agree Vegas will be a great bowl game.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

I seem to recall that the conference rules state all bowl money gets combined and then evenly divided between all of the conference teams – even those that don’t qualify for a bowl.

Or am I wrong?

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

Found reference to it as I suspected.

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/blog/threads_and_laces/2014/12/rose-bowl-appearance-oregon-pac-12-payout.html

The conference evenly splits the money teams receive from television contracts, bowl payouts and events like conference championships.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Jon Wilner’s bowl projections