Josh Calvert

Viewing 1 reply thread

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

Swan has done a great job stocking the LB position so that Utah doesn’t have to depend on transfers every year but this one might be too good to pass up.

Tore his ACL and never saw the field at UW. Looked like he was finally back to full speed this spring and is ready to contribute immediately so it is surprising that he has left the school. Not officially in the portal yet and all 3 brothers have stated that playing together isn’t a priority so it might be a long shot.

Dresden_Stormblessed
      Ute Fan
      @dresden

Unless we see potential for some LB to be a safety, I doubt we go for him. We’re absolutely stacked at LB and have needs elsewhere.

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

We are stacked at LB, but I don’t think it is about what Utah thinks.  I think it is about what Josh thinks.  He is better than several in the LB room and he is better than half that we will sign this year.  I think he will be going to a school with as much or more competation as Utah.  We do have other needs but we don’t turn away players at his level.  I expect he is very much welcome, he just is not a ‘have to have’ guy for us.  With him and our other top LBs, very likely one of them could play SS better than options that are best suited as SS.  Some LBs will be special teams stars while they wait their turn in line which is often 20 snaps a game.

I also very much want Lander Barton to sign with us next February, and the LB room will not lose a beet with two Seniors.  

Rick
          Ute Fan
          @utebiquitous

Charlie,

I don’t think Lander Barton will be a linebacker. I think he’ll be a defensive end. I know he plays linebacker at Brighton but he may be growing still. I think he’s 6’4″ now. He may end up a few inches taller. Anyway, you may have an insider’s perspective but I think he ends up on the line with a lot of freedom to move around as he learns and understands the scheme. He’s one of the most athletic young men I’ve watched play football and basketball.

Charlie
            Ute Fan
            @charlie

I am fine with a taller LB, think Trevor Reilly. We have used the hybrid LB before with success that also creeps up on the end of the line. He is on a development line that is faster and higher than his brother.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Josh Calvert