@hchooligan

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

He looks like a goddamn bulldozer.

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

Agreed. IMO, without question he should be QB1.

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

There’s always the question of can he make the reads and the throws?

MDUte
            Ute Fan
            @mdute

Totally agree. But I’d rather give JQJ the reps/experience than a 1 and done grad transfer and fully develop him now vs later. His athleticism is off the charts. He can make up for so many mistakes on athleticism alone. And if we’re really being honest, we don’t even throw the ball that much anyway. Thinking back to all those games where Huntley went like 17/21 passing. And that’s not taking anything away from Huntley. He was amazing that year and super efficient with the limited amount of throws he had each game. But with JQJ and Pledger we can really pound the rock in the RPO game while mixing in the passes when needed.

gandalf
      Ute Fan
      @gandalf

I love the idea of Brewer as QB1 with JQJ providing a wildcat package.

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

Not me. I love the idea of Brewer as QB3, with JQJ as QB1 and Rising as QB2. It’s all about our future. I think any of these 3 have the ability to provide us with a great year in 2021. But after that, who takes us the furthest….that’s the big separator IMO. Nobody has the upside that JQJ has.

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

JQJ has the highest ceiling that’s for sure. He has four years to do it in.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Costelli has loads of upside as well. Both are exciting players.

Charlie
          Ute Fan
          @charlie

JQJ is a beast, no doubt.  There are many spots on the field for a very physical athlete.  QB1 must be able to read the defense, make great decisions and make the tough passes.  Clearly, he needs to see the field.  We have so little yet to know if he is QB1.  Trust the process, we will get the first hints in spring ball.

AlohaUte
          Ute Fan
          @alohaute

Is it about the future though. We have a chance to compete for the P12 Championship this year.  Why sacrifice that for the future. When does the future become now?

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Ludwig and Whitt will play whoever wins the job and gives them the best chance to compete in games. That has been the track record of the program for a long time. Huntley taking the job from Williams is clear enough proof of that.

MDUte
              Ute Fan
              @mdute

Totally agree. As fans we get to speculate, share opinions, play monday morning quarterback etc. But at the end of the day, we’re fortunate to have excellent coaches. Whitt and Ludwig will definitely facilitate a healthy QB competition and the cream will rise to the top. Undoubtedly, they will make the best decision for the program and I completely trust that. As a fan, I’m just personally pulling for JQJ to shine because of his incredibly high ceiling. He reminds me of Cam Newton or Vince Young, with the ability to win games on his own if needed. Then surround him with our team full of exciting talent all over the field and we would be scary good. That has me eyeing a conference championship, smelling roses, and breaking into the CFP…

MDUte
                Ute Fan
                @mdute

One thing to keep in mind about JQJ is he left Texas to come to Utah because he wants to play QB. Texas wanted to move him to LB. Even though he’s an amazing athlete, he doesn’t just want to get on the field because he could’ve already done that at Texas or anywhere else. What I’m saying is I hope he at least breaks into the 2 deep because otherwise I worry we run the risk of losing him. It’s been said he has 4 years to get there but like all highly talented kids these days, I don’t see JQJ patiently waiting 2 or 3 years on the bench at Utah for an opportunity. Maybe if after given a fair chance at QB and it didn’t work out, then he’d trust the coaches to move him to a position where he could excel…similar to what was done with Chase Hansen. But make no mistake, as great as Chase was (and I LOVE Chase Hansen!), JQJ is on a whole new level in terms of athleticism and talent…and it’s not even close. If JQJ is given every opportunity to play QB, I have a hard time believing he won’t be wildly successful. But in any event, it’s never been a more exciting time to be a Ute fan. The future is bright and I can’t wait to see what happens…go Utes!!

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @rickyrules

Being “ripped” as a QB does not always transfer to being a good QB on the field.  I remember several years ago on another Utah fan site how people were all a flutter over some pics of Travis Wilson in off season workouts looking like a Greek god!  Being a good QB is more about mental aspects and pure throwing ability than having a chiseled physique.  With the entire team coming back we are in more of a win now mode than you think and Charlie Brewer has won at a very high level.  Give me a Tom Brady or Joe Montana over Cam Newton or Lamar Jackson any day.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Good indicator for work ethic. In college I would take Lamar Jackson or Cam Newton in a second. I would take a Heisman and a BCS NC winner… wouldn’t you?

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

@Rick, it doesn’t sound like you have a clue what you’re talking about but I’ll bite. My posts about JQJ have nothing to do with him being chiseled. If you followed recruiting you’d know that JQJ was a high 4*, nearly rated as a 5* QB and the #3 rated dual QB in the country coming out of high school. Comparing Travis Wilson to JQJ is like comparing Kyle Corver to LeBron James. Completely different levels of talent, athleticism, and ability. And comparing Charlie Brewer to Joe Montana and Tom Brady might be the biggest insult you could give to arguably 2 of the greatest QBs ever to play the game. My comparison of JQJ to Cam Newton and Vince Young was based on their size, athleticism, and ability at the college level. Lastly Cam Newton and Vince Young both won national championships, which last time I checked is the ultimate goal for college…not the Super Bowl. So if we were to just compare the famous QBs mentioned, I’d take either college version of Cam Newton or Vince Young over college version of Joe Montana or Tom Brady any day.

We all experienced the hype of grad transfer Jake Bentley coming in from South Carolina and the mighty SEC. How he threw for over 500 yards and 5 TDs against Clemson…CLEMSON! So if you’re telling me Charlie Brewer, this year’s grad transfer is going to come into our system, and within Spring and Fall Camp learn/master a new system to a level that he leads us to win a conference championship and lands us in a Rose Bowl…I’d say it’s highly unlikely. Possible? Yes, anything is possible…but highly unlikely. With that being said, since we are basically starting over at the QB position this year (Rising only started for a couple of series in 1 game) I’m of the belief that you place your bets on a dude that can not only give us a great opportunity to win this year but a guy who will be that much better next year and the year after that as well. Because if we don’t end up winning the conference this year, at least we will be that much closer to winning it the next year, not having to start all over again with a new QB because we wasted the previous year on a 1 and done grad transfer that got us 8 or 9 wins that we likely would’ve gotten with any of the other talented QB options we had available.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.