Just rewatched the game….havent slept…

Viewing 2 reply threads

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

losing sleep after a loss isnt new for me. Rewatching a loss the night of is. As in ive never done it before. Ill try to understand that later..

After all the mistakes we made and things that didnt go our way in this game thru 2.5 quarters, you thought we had weathered the storm and were primed to go taket this game. And then this sequence happend..

kicking a field goal after multiple tries inside the 5 yard line. We go right back to the tight formations that hadnt worked all night in scoring position and the result is predictable. USC in goal line defense that obliterates our protection before huntley can even finish his first ball handling motion. Not a single 3 wide attempt on either failed trip inside the 5 yard line to spread out the defense and either force them to cover 0 enis/Thompson in space, or force them not to crash the middle in an all out blitz

Next possession, we force USC to punt, but after the punt, a would be 1st down with breathing room is turned into a snap inside our own 5 by a holding penalty. Which ends in the safety. S**tty turn of events, but we are still just down 3 with plenty of time left. We can still recover from all of this s**t.

And then on 3rd and 8 their WR gets behind the safety despite big pass play after big pass play against the press coverage the corner was in. He had every reason to keep the route in front of him and to also expect the fly route. 

Obviously OL was awful. The DBs got smoked, but im not sure coaching was as much to blame as people are saying. The defense was in position for a lot of those plays. (or were supposed to be re: 3rd and 8). If im morgan scalley i have a ton of faith in those guys and belief in their talent level. I dont think there was a huge problem with what he asked them to do, they have the physical ability to do it and outside of 2 of the passes iirc were in great position as the ball left the QB. 

the DBs make a decent orbetter play on the ball, a lot of those big passes are incomplete. The coverage was there. imo.

Honorable mention, USC played soft 10+ yards off backpeddaling off the snap against our WR pretty much the entire 2nd half. Not a single check to a quick out/curl against it. There was even 2 3rd and short situations wehere the WR could have just turned and caught the ball for a 1st down bc the DB was so far off. That something we have to force the other team out of. We didnt go at it 1 time.

ThurstonW
      Ute Fan
      @thurstonw

“We go right back to the tight formations that hadnt worked all night in scoring position and the result is predictable…”

I wonder how many dozen times little Whitt and little Scalley touched a hot stove before they realized the connection to the burnt hand?

SalUTEtheU
      Ute Fan
      @salutetheu

I get the confidence that Scalley would have in the secondary; however, you watch Stanford lose badly using man cover and then Watch BYU beat them using drop 8 all night. Conventional wisdom would tell you to use what works despite your confidence that you can do what Stanford couldn’t. Kyle was quoted as saying that USC has probably the best wide receiving core in the country. I like our chances against NFL caliber wide receivers when you take our talented secondary and place them in zone coverage against these guys. I think the scheme and game plan was a huge mistake on defense.

astUTE
        Ute Fan
        @astute

THIS !!!!   ^^^^^^^^^^^^

We drop 8 into coverage al evening and we win this game going away.

Utahute72
          Ute Fan
          @utahute72

Not sure I agree. They were catching balls even when double covered.

oc_ute
            Ute Fan
            @ocute

we played cover 1 all nite.  there was zero zone.  scalley screwed the pooch

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Just rewatched the game….havent slept…