Just to break-up football signing a bit — Donnie Tillman just committed

Viewing 3 reply threads

Anonymous
      Ute Fan
      @anonymous

Donnie Tillman, an ESPN 4* & Rival 3#, small forward. 2017.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

I think he signed today just to screw with people.

GameForAnyFuss
        Ute Fan
        @gameforanyfuss

Well, it worked. I spent 5 minutes looking at his commitment and trying to figure out what football position is abbreviated “SF”.

GameForAnyFuss
          Ute Fan
          @gameforanyfuss

Pretty impressive offer list: Cal, Creighton, Iowa St., Marquette, USC, and more.

PlainsUte
          Ute Fan
          @plainsute

Well, if Tillman showed up at Whittingham’s camp, he’d no doubt be assigned to work with the safeties.

Though, if he’s related to Spencer Tillman he should do well as a running back.

FountainofUte
      Ute Fan
      @fountainofute

This is great news!

Now I think we have two more spots to fill for 2017. My thought for the last few months has been:
      1) Land Tillman (check!)
      2) Go get the most talented JC we can find to fill our greatest need. I’d say some front-court depth, but a stud is a stud is a stud. Just get someone who can make an impact next year.
      3) Push the third available scholarship to the 2018. Don’t waste it in 2017 on a panic pick up or another uber-raw Euro.

Minnesota Ute
        Ute Fan
        @minnesotaute

Yup, I think we really need someone like Boucher, Bell, Markkanen, Ristic type.  We need another 6′-9 to 7′ that can handle the ball, finish at the rim, block some shots, and if he can also shoot from deep, what a plus.  With only Bonam and Bealer graduating, and assuming everyone else of significance stays, we should have a great team next year if we can lock down just a couple more spots.

I wonder what the potential for some of the folks that are down the bench to not be here next year?  I haven’t seen much growth out of Jokl or Reninger, and OSU was first time I recall seeing Rydalch.  I have a hard time believing that any of those three getting to the point of meaningful contributions.  Maybe Jokl because of his size.  Maybe one or more of those guys will see more of an opportunity to play at a smaller school opening up another slot?

TheJuggernaut
        Ute Fan
        @thejuggernaut

Unless we want to see Parker Van Dyke getting major minutes we’ll need a guard to fill Bonam’s vacated minutes.

Minnesota Ute
          Ute Fan
          @minnesotaute

Still have Barefield and Zamora, so starting lineup could be Daniels, Zamora, Tillman, Kuzma, Collette, with Barefield, Rawson, PVD, and Jayce coming off the bench. Would love to see one or two quality players that can produce right away. But right now, it would appear that losing Bonam and gaining Tillman is close to a wash talent-wise even though they are different positions because we are long on guards and thin on forwards and posts. Agree that we need one more C/PF though to shore up the thin front court. That an hope that Jayce gets on the weights and comes out a different player next year.

TheJuggernaut
            Ute Fan
            @thejuggernaut

I don’t really love the idea of PVD or JJ playing 20+ minutes per game, if we can help it. IMO they’re both 8-10 mpg players, but an offseason of conditioning and working on their games could change things. With Tillman we’ve got a logjam at SF, with Daniels, Seely, and now Tillman. I wonder if Larry’s thinking of playing two of those guys together with Zamora or Barefield.

IMO next years starters are going to be Barefield, Zamora, Daniels, Kuzma, and Collette. Maybe Tillman or Seely come off the bench for Barefield or Zamora, and Daniels slides to the 2 (assuming he puts in serious work on his outside shot this offseason).
            I’d like to see us add another big, on that we definitely agree, that would give us Seely, Tillman, Rawson, and TBA big to round out a 9 man rotation, with PVD and JJ filling in the cracks for 8-10 mpg. If we don’t end up adding another guard PVD will obviously have to play a bigger role.

Minnesota Ute
              Ute Fan
              @minnesotaute

PVD I think can develop into the assassin off the bench (he is close already), and Jayce maybe by his Junior year when Collette graduates could be a 20+ min center, but not next year. I guess I neglected Seeley because I don’t know much about him. Is he not eligible or redshirting? His stat line is empty, which explains why I didn’t recognize the name and had to check the roster to see who you were talking about. Assuming he is good, I don’t see that as a log jam, I think that is good depth. Basically you are looking at Daniels 2/3, Kuzma 3/4/5, Seely 3/4, and Rawson 3/4, so we have a lot of potential combinations depending on who is hot, healthy, and what the opponent puts on the floor. If we could get one more good big, then I think we are set, and could be scary good.
              I think your starting lineup is as plausible as mine, and it would probably depend on opponent Barefield against smaller lineups and Tillman against bigger lineups. And I could see the potential of Sedrick beating our Jojo if he improves enough, although Jojo has proven to be very steady eddy. I like that, quietly getting things done.

Matthew Thomas Castleton
            Ute Fan
            @mcastleton928

I doubt that. I think that Barefield takes over Bonam’s starting spot next year. Mabye Zamora comes off the bench in favor of Tillman?

Matthew Thomas Castleton
            Ute Fan
            @mcastleton928

Utah does have a 4-star center commit named Branden Carlson (from Bingham High) coming in next year:

http://www.scout.com/player/207913-branden-carlson?s=365

Minnesota Ute
              Ute Fan
              @minnesotaute

I thought I heard here yesterday that he was one of two that were “sign and send”. Not sure if that means that they would redshirt then go on mission, or if they would go directly on mission. Guys like Jeff & Britton Johnson played one year before going on their mission.

TheJuggernaut
              Ute Fan
              @thejuggernaut

Carlson is a sign and send.

TheJuggernaut
      Ute Fan
      @thejuggernaut

Seely’s redshirting this season as he rehabs from shoulder surgery. We’re going to have plenty of lineup options available next year for sure, I’d love to see either Seely or Tillman step up into a starting role, and have Barefield/Zamora start alongside Daniels in the backcourt.

Matthew Thomas Castleton
        Ute Fan
        @mcastleton928

I’d prefer Barefield to start. He’s the better offensive player but Zamora’s the better defender.

TheJuggernaut
          Ute Fan
          @thejuggernaut

I’d be surprised if Zamora started over Barefield, either way both will be playing 20+ mpg.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Just to break-up football signing a bit — Donnie Tillman just committed