Kicking Game

Viewing 6 reply threads

FtheY
      Ute Fan
      @fthey

Has anyone heard much about our kicking game? I think we have Hicken and a juco guy. 

They have big shoes to fill with Andy being finished. Will they be just as good, almost as good, or will we see more riverboat Kyle this year? 

In the warmups for the spring game, I thought I saw them hitting a few from distance, but that’s practice. 

Anyone have any insights on these guys? 

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

The only thing I know is our punter is awesome.

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

Pretty sure the Chayden Johnson (think that’s his name) kid is back from a mission.  Supposed to be pretty solid and better than what we saw in the spring game.  I believe it’s his job to lose.

RiseasUtes
        Ute Fan
        @riseasutes

Johnston, and yes he is back.  Pretty highly touted coming out of high school.  Hope he can fill the void left by Phillips.

Rick
        Ute Fan
        @rickyrules

According to Tom Hackett we will not even miss Andy Phillips once we see this Johnson kid from Bingham.  He made 9 field goals over 40 yards his senior year and kicked a 52 yarder in a game.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

We have 4 kickers right now with Johnson as our only scholarship kicker. 

This fall will be a battle royal for the job. 

We just had a kid transfer from UVU a week ago. 

FtheY
        Ute Fan
        @fthey

I hadn’t heard about that one. Sounds like some good competition. 

On the kickoff side, I hope one of these guys can continually put the ball past the end zone. 

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Yeah, no kidding. Kick the thing out of the endzone, make them go 75 yards. Simple stuff.

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

Analytics indicate you kick it to the goal line and they won’t make it to the 25 a d they have to go 76-80 yards instead.

ladyinred
          Ute Fan
          @ladyinred

For kickoff returns you mean?

quagmire
          Ute Fan
          @quagmire

And increase the chance of getting a turnover 

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

100% of touch backs are not returned for TD’s. 

It seems like every year we get burned by a kickoff returned for a TD. 

UteThunder
            Ute Fan
            @utethunder

I wonder what the statistics are for our opponents’ average starting field position on kickoffs they were able to return. I feel like it is better than the 25 yard line which means we need to stop trying to be so cute and just kick it out of the endzone every time. 

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

I watched Chaydon Johnston live (Bingham @ Brighton). Every kick is higher than the posts, even extra points, and straight down the middle it seems. #12 nationally ranked kicker.

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Well,,, if Taylor has his way kicks should only be PAT’s and kickoffs, so onside every kickoff and go for 2…

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

Once Tuttle is at the helm, if reports are halfway accurate, the Utes would be foolish not to go for two every time. I read about him on the Interwebz, so it must be true.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Kicking Game