KW’s presser

Viewing 3 reply threads
      7 1

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Of course, he would not comment on injuries other than to say that there are no season-ending injuries.  Nothing was asked or anything said about Huntley wearing a boot.  One question was asked as to who the backup QB is.  KW said it was Lisk last week and it is always week-to-week.

KW did comment on how happy he has been with Tyler’s overall performance.  So, there was no hint of TH not playing this week, but with Whitt, no one ever knows.

He didn’t seem too alarmed about the defensive backfield.  He still feels that it is a good group and the coaches need to put them in a position to be successful.

He was not happy about 16 penalties, most ever for him.  He did not imply that it was the refs fault.  He said that we need to fix it.

He was not happy about the red zone offense.  We scored 2 TDs in 6 attempts and that was unacceptable.  The fumble was caused by a missed assignment.  He did not call out anyone specific and said that no one person is ever perfect on all of his assignments.

He felt good about the running backs.  He said Brumefield got more reps because he is the best at pass protection.  Wilmore is still listed as the backup to Moss.

The blocked FG was the kicker’s fault.  It was too low.  There was no penetration by the defense.

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

Update much appreciated.

highlandute7
      Ute Fan
      @highlandute7

I wish someone would ask him about the two specific failures in the red zone when we were within the 2 yard line on each one and why we are lining up in the shotgun in those situations rather than under center. Why in the world do we take a snap 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage when we have 1-2 yards to gain for a TD?

We need to be under center, either doing a QB sneak or have some sort of jumbo package where we just bulldoze through. Even without Moss, Brumfield is a big dude and putting a TE or even DT in front of him would be much better than taking a snap 5 yards deep.

1 1

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

I was at the game and the refs seemed to call a good game. Both teams were flagged several times. The Utes penalties were their fault. The only one that I might disagree with was Jaylon Johnsons PI in the end zone. It looked ok from my point of view but I didnt see a replay.

TheJuggernaut
        Ute Fan
        @thejuggernaut

JJ’s PI was BS, and there were at least a couple of very questionable holding calls on the Utes.

1 2

bopahull
          Ute Fan
          @bopahull

The refs blue their whistles just to hear them toot. There were several questionable and ticky tack calls on both teams. When the refs are so involved in so many plays it makes it difficult to establish any kind of game flow.

UTE98
          Ute Fan
          @ute98

I was shocked USC wasn’t called for for holding more, especially on Anae. I remember one play specifically where Anae beat his man, the OL clearly has his arm hooked around Anae as he’s screaming toward the QB, doesn’t make it in time and no flag. Can’t even remember the result of the play, but the camera angle was indisputable.

The DBs certainly took some really bad angles, but the team overcame quite a few penalties which are usually drive killers. I’d be curious how many first downs we got after being penalizied and being 1st and 15 or more. Pretty good conversion rate in my estimation. I’m still Pollyannaish on this team.

Ute2
            Ute Fan
            @ute2

It was the last big play to Michael Pittman that set up their touchdown to go up by 10.

It’s seared in my brain. A sack or a holding call their would’ve been huge for us.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football KW’s presser