Kyle addressed #timeoutgate in press conference

Viewing 6 reply threads

ladyinred
      Ute Fan
      @ladyinred

He was pretty unapologetic, didn’t back down from the decision. Said the whole game plan was to be aggressive, which the time out call there was in line with. Believed in defense to get the stop in good field position for the Utes, would have bet his house on it. This is one to debate for the ages lol…

Injuries: no season ending ones from the game, likely to get some guys back who didn’t play in time for Colorado.

ladyinred
      Ute Fan
      @ladyinred

Also was asked directly if he has any interest in the UCLA job, said he just has a ton of interest in the Utah job. 

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

He was really defensive when talking about the timeout. Why can’t he just admit he made the wrong decision? If I was a player, I would be p**sed that he called a dumb ass timeout and then blamed the players.

ladyinred
        Ute Fan
        @ladyinred

My take wasn’t that he blamed the players. He credited UW for making the play. I think it could be argued he has too much misplaced faith in the Defense – especially this year – and not enough faith in the offense. 

But yeah, I was a little surprised he doubled down on the timeout decision.

St George Ute
      Ute Fan
      @stgeorgeute

Chris Petersen said he completely understands the time out and what Kyle was trying to do. Said anything could have happened to put Utah in the same spot they were in, trying to clinch the game in regulation. Said an errant pass/interception or a hit to the QB causing a fumble could have totally changed the game, then Utah would have kicked the FG for the win.

Puget Ute
        Ute Fan
        @pugetute

As bad as the final outcome sucks, I am glad Kyle is the scapegoat.
        I believe Tyler Huntley got the 1st down on the 3rd and 2 run, but he fumbled it and we ended up with 4th and 1.

I would hate for Tyler Huntley to be blamed for the loss, after tearing apart the best defense in the league all game.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Odds wise either way it would have been bad. I think you have better odds going for it on fourth and one now that I have thought about it more. 

Just seems like the defense was done in regulation or OT. JJ going down might have been a huge blow to that unit. 

GameForAnyFuss
            Ute Fan
            @gameforanyfuss

You nailed it. Everybody’s getting riled up about a coaching decision (be it right or wrong) that probably didn’t affect the outcome of the game.

Puget Ute
            Ute Fan
            @pugetute

JJ going out was absolutley a killer.  We don’t have anybody left who can cover Pettis, and our Offense was stalling.

1 2

RiseasUtes
        Ute Fan
        @riseasutes

Peterson was being nice, he thought it was dumb as well.  

pedro
      Ute Fan
      @pedro

Unpopular I know, but at the time I thougth it was the right thing to do.  We are 108th in the country in the redzone.  OT wasn’t looking like a great option.  The TO could have been perfect.  Throwing the ball is what did us in on our next possession.

RiseasUtes
        Ute Fan
        @riseasutes

I thought we played pretty well in the red zone vs Wash.  We have struggled this season, but our O was playing pretty solid on Sat.  

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

No Utah still sucked in the Redzone. The play calls were baffling. The one time they tried for the end zone they scored. All other attempts were to score from outside. 

RiseasUtes
            Ute Fan
            @riseasutes

The Huntley runs on 3 and 8 from the 9 both times were quite frustrasting.  But he he was able to run one in and the 11 yd fade to Singleton was pretty solid.

TexanUte
      Ute Fan
      @texanute

UCLA not necessarily any better destination than Utah. Utah has arguably had more talent over past decade or so than UCLA. Glamour area but not a glamour football program. I would be shocked if Whitt goes there.

shakeitsugaree
        Ute Fan
        @shakeitsugaree

This is absolutely false. UCLA has had 6 top 20 classes 2011-present source

TexanUte
      Ute Fan
      @texanute

Interesting that you gauge talent by these recruiting classes where scouts get perhaps a quick look at a 17 year old high school kid and then that’s taken as gospel. My gauge of talent is how talented was the team on the field in the year in question. I think it can be argued the Utes were a more talented team year each of the past several years vs. UCLA. The team on the field not the speculative teenage recruiting ratings.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Kyle addressed #timeoutgate in press conference