Lander Barton

Viewing 2 reply threads

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

So excited about the future with Lander Barton at LB. Sounds like he balled out at the All American Bowl and made quite the impression.

I’d love to see him and Diabate as our starting LBs next year with Karene Reid backing them up and for 3-4 packages. But having Barton for the next 3 years is going to be huge! Go Utes!

Lander Barton shines at All American Bowl

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

He’s the guy I’m most excited about in this recruiting class. Everything I’ve heard says he’ll be a day 1 starter and he’ll be better than both of his brothers (which is insane). We’re going to be good at LB for a while. 

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

If this kid isn’t starting this fall that is a sign that we are STACKED at LB.

Trailgoat
        Ute Fan
        @utahgoat

Interested to see how Furey, Reynolds, Reid, and Josh Calvert develop. Have to think 1-2 of these guys enter the portal with the LB talent coming in. Hopefully not.

IMO, biggest concern is starters and depth at CB and NB. SS is solid (Aware injuries decimated the DB group) Bernard playing both ways in Utah’s biggest game tells me there is a depth problem in the CB room.

I presume Mckinney is gone? Huber I think I heard is coming back. If both are back/healthy both safety positions look good along with Latu and Bishop coming back.

Broughton’s injury early in the season was a huge loss. Nobody really stepped up consistently after Broughton went down. Not sold on Savage, Parks, or the other CBs on the roster playing STs. Mataele looked very sloooow in the tOSU game at Nickel. Hopefully the Utes find a solid, experienced CB in the transfer portal. Maybe the Malaska kid steps in. Looking forward to watching the CB position play out. Broughton and Phillips are a solid starting group. After that CB seems to be wide open. Of course this is all arm chair, captain Monday observation.

Understood the tOSU game had our young DBs going against NFL level talent. Stroud having all day to sit in the pocket did not help matters so the Dline owns their part. Sewell, Lloyd, and Tafuna were pretty much locked down in the Rose Bowl game. Go Utes!

UteBacker
          Ute Fan
          @utebacker

McKinney was a senior.  I’m glad he decided to be a Ute!

3 3

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

Mataele was the worst non K/P starter on the team IMO. He gets beat consistently, is often in the wrong place, doesn’t have good tackling form, gets called for penalties often, and isn’t a great athlete. He needs to improve big time, or we need to find a replacement for him. To me, it just seems like he doesn’t have what it takes upstairs to get the job done. Seems like every time there is a confusion in the secondary, he’s involved in some way.

FtheY
            Ute Fan
            @fthey

For this exact reason, I think we see CP3 move to nickel, and Mataele go to 2nd string. Which means Marks or Vaughn will start opposite of Broughton, barring any crazy good freshman or transfers. This is my prediction. 

Hellhound152
              Ute Fan
              @hellhound152

CP3 will not move to nickle, ever again.  It would cost him millions of dollars and Utah high profile recruits in the future.

FtheY
                Ute Fan
                @fthey

How do you mean, Hellhound? 

I remember Shah asked him to learn both positions. And I thought he was recruited for a nickel, but we played him at corner due to lack of depth and needing to get our best athletes in the field? 

Very possible I’m missing something though. Are you thinking he’d be less productive there, lowering his draft stock and scaring recruits off due to movement of position? 

Hellhound152
                  Ute Fan
                  @hellhound152

He was recruited as a 4* cover corner like Johnson, he was asked to learn nickle to help out with depth and get him on the field in 2020. 

Nobody with NFL aspirations goes from outside to inside.  It is a clear demotion that would kill his draft stock because it tells the NFL he lacks the physical tools to play Corner which is the money position.  He would not be happy about that as a Junior, which means his people would not be happy and that opens a whole other can of worms when it comes to recruiting.

Ute2
            Ute Fan
            @ute2

You’re not watching the same Mataele I’ve been watching.  

he maybe started out a little shaky but played very well and is a fantastic tackler.

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

We should not simply assume Lander plays LB. He could play on offense and could be an awesome TE, he can even play WR. He can play other positions on defense as a thick SS or a hybrid edge rusher. He is good enough to pick his own spot with the future in mind.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Lander Barton