Larry K

Viewing 4 reply threads

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

First off, I think Larry has done a good job bringing the program back to respectable levels.  He’s a quality guy that represents the U well and has had some success finding quality impact players that have gotten him to two sweet sixteens.  Like it or not he has stuck to his philosophy which has cost him a few very good players transferring out of the program but I’m willing to give him a pass for trying to develop the culture he requires.  

My biggest issue with Coach K is that in the last 3 years (and maybe more) I can only think of 1 game, where we WEREN’T favored, that has turned out to be a win…maybe 2.  In that same stretch we have lost 6-8 games we were supposed to win.  He doesn’t win when he’s not supposed to.

College basketball is about the upset…there have been no upsets like Whit pulled off at Oregon in 2015, No USC final game winning drive in 2016 and certainly no Sugar Bowl – Alabama type wins.  Duke a few years ago comes to mind but they were really banged up and the Vegas line was very small.  

There has been nothing to say he is able to “over develop” a team and go on a run like we saw many times with Big Rick.  No well designed inbounds plays, No great adjustments from the bench that secures a big win.  He’s found some gems in Poetl and Delon for sure but is he the reason they made it?  I don’t think he had a big impact one way or another and you could argue that Kuzma was under utilized based on what we’re seeing now.

He’s turned the corner with these last two recruiting classes and ultimately it’s about the players so I expect a significantly brighter future but I’m pretty frustrated with his inability to ever win a game he’s not supposed to.  That’s the next step in my opinion.  Give us a reason to jump back in…show us you can beat the big dogs…not just play respectfully against the Arizona’s of the world.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I think I will wait until the end of this year before making any judgements. I think this year is going to suck, especially if Tillman and Seely are out a long time. 

Next year, the seat really heats up if this year sucks as much as I think it will. 

The reality is, Larry has been here a looong time. And other than when he has had Delon, he’s underperformed. 

Another thing, you can’t cancel the game like he did then come back and get worked like he did. That’s never going to win you many friends. 

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

My biggest problem with Larry is all of the transfers year after year. It’s just like Whit with his OCs. It is going to be nearly impossible to build a consistently good/great program in any sport when you are hitting the reset button every year.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Interesting perspective on the upset comments. Hadn’t thought much about that, but yes, think of the big Rick years. SO many upsets over very good teams. I attended nearly every home game of Rick’s entire tenure and watched nearly every road game. Rick game-planned like a madman and knew how to shut down every team’s offensive strength and/or every team’s best player. We don’t do that now. You shared some of my thoughts there.

Discipline?

My other observations have to do with the discipline of the team, which has been mediocre at best since the beginning of the LK era. By discipline I refer to things like playing solid smart defense, running actual offensive plays, screening, executing proper inboud plays (not throwing it away, improved this year), not turning the ball over etc.  Coach K teams seem prone to turnovers, mental mistakes, like not knowing to shoot a 3 pointer instead of a 2, with no time left when you are down three. The current Utes don’t seem to learn not to do these things during the course of the season. 

Improvement?

In fact, there isn’t much improvement team-wise over the seasons. Sure some players improve a bit, but Rick’s teams made huge improvements, like they were being taught and learning the game and strategies all the time.  To the contrary, the football team does improve. 

Attitude?

I also don’t feel like a LK team cares much if they win or lose. In the post game some after the loss last night players were laughing and smiling like it was no different than any other game.  You just got a beatdown by your “rival.” Does that mean anything?

Yea we may all be sore after a loss like this, but these issues I’m pointing out are not just from last night. I hate to compare LK to Rick. That’s a bit unfair. Rick was like a basketball savant. Larry is good. Best we’ve had since the Majerus era, but perhaps this is as good as it is going to get.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

As far as the players’ attitudes last night…

we need to realize they don’t care about this game. They didn’t come from California and Michigan to play BYU. They came to play PAC-12 teams. 

Thats just the way it will be from here on out. BYU is a mediocre WCC team. No one on the team cares what happens in that game. 

BYU, on the other hand, this game defines their religion. The only thing bigger than this game for BYU fan, is the football game. 

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

I hope kids come to win games for Utah. No matter the opponent I feel you should want to win. But I do see your point. 

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

They shouldn’t act like that no matter who they lose to. That’s the point. 

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

I think a lot of us oldtimers view it a lot differently than the young ‘uns. We see a team, win at all costs, the triumph is in the effort. 

They see a school that pays them nothing, makes millions, pays Larry K more than they will ever make, and that they are being screwed over. 

They know that their best shot at making money is playing well as an individual and making it to the professional level. 

Wins and losses? That is Larry K’s problem. That is what he gets paid to take care of. 

I don’t know if it is good or bad, but it is what it is. As long as Barefield is making nothing and Larry K is making 3+ million a year…it will be tough to fault Barefield for not caring as much about the W or L. 

Hal Evans
      Ute Fan
      @dixieute

You lets get of the Coach….you people slay me……..lets get rid of Whit……and hire back mac…….lets get rid of coach K and bring back Giac or Broylen………our coaches are fine it is our fans that need a reality check

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.