Latter Day Saint movement learning experience

Viewing 8 reply threads

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

Hi, folks. I’d love to hear from you about your experiences with churches/religious groups of the Latter Day Saint movement which are distinct from CoJCoLDS. Below is a stunning graphic, but I am certain that it is not exhaustive.

Please share your experiences and/or information about church structure, practices/beliefs, etc. Thank you in advance.

9 1

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

Latter Day Saint here
      Mobile Ute Hub user submitted image

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

Thanks, Hammer. Is it the main CoJCoLDS or one of the others?

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

I just learned that Alice Cooper was raised in the Bickertonite tradition. Does anyone know about that group?
      His grandfather was an apostle, apparently.
      ldsliving.com article

McBride of Frankenstein
      Ute Fan
      @mcbrideoffrankenstein

I belong to the Reorganized Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.  We believe that people are spiritually, but not physically, touched by His noodly appendage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

Yours is a beautiful faith tradition, McBride of Frankenstein. My mother is FSM as well.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

I belong to the church of the guys who play their guitars too ******* loud. 

NavyUte
      Ute Fan
      @navyute

Jesus i suck.

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

Currently UDFA, no agent. If you want my allegiance make me a deal.

1 1

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

We spend so much time nerding on Utah sports. That nerding outlet is currently unavailable.
      I suggest discussing something I nerd on and all I get is snarky comments and thumbs down.
      What is the issue with the discussion I suggest?

I can read about many of these religious groups, but the opportunity to learn from firsthand experience, folks like yourselves who might have been directly involved with these movements, is invaluable to me.

1 1

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

The vast majority of “Mormons” in Utah are of the mainstream variety, and know little to nothing about Mormon offshoot religions.

What do you expect? Even when sports are brought up the majority of responses (if you get any at all) are snarky.

It is a bit irritating when you post a legitimate question and all you get are thumbs down votes with no explanation.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

In my experience they know little about THEIR OWN religion and its origins, let alone offshoots.   They mainly believe what is told to them and the current leadership, and the leadership likes to gaslight anything that is currently perceived as odd or discriminatory, or has since been proven patently false.  I heard the current leadership is disavowing the name “Mormon”, which i find odd given that “I’m a Mormon” was a big thing being pushed just a few years ago.

When I (non-Mormon) lived in Utah I met many Mormons, Jack Mormons and ex-Mormons.  The ex-Mormons were the ones that knew the most about Mormon belief origins and historical teachings while the Mormons had no answers for the ex-Mormons’ concerns or objections, mainly just “believe, pray and obey”.  The Jack Mormons didn’t believe much of what was taught, but were staying in mainly to appease their parents, spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend and/or to retain standing in the community.

Hopefully my observations don’t offend anyone — they are just my observations and I don’t care about anyone’s religion, its just that religion was often brought up by others when I lived there, after “what is your major” and things of that nature. Anyway, honestly, I just appreciate those whose actions show they care about their fellow citizens of this Earth — that spans many religions.

As for the OP’s chart I’m certain there are similar spin-off charts for the Baptists, Lutherans, etc, and, to go back even further, to the Roman Catholic Church.

User Suspended
          @a2ute

Good take- when i lived in Utah I do remember those ex mormons new their sh#t

Dallas
      Ute Fan
      @dallas

Two Mormon posts in two days…someone’s feeling a little trolly.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc Latter Day Saint movement learning experience