Leki Fotu 15 in the 60 in 60

Viewing 7 reply threads

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

What a crock. Utah sports writers have problems.

NarfUte
      Ute Fan
      @narfute

Utah has 19 of the top 60 so far – with 14 spots left and how many unlisted? I’m guessing we’ll have 8-9 of those 14.

I’ll take a crack at who we have left: Hansen, Covey, Gay, Wishnowsky, Huntley, Moss, Anae, Blackmon

Moss is going to be #1 – I know nothing about Utah State and the only two BYU players I can name are their tall tight end and mangum. Who would the other 4 be?

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Not as much as the people who listen to them still. 😉

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

I just can’t stand Gunther.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

He is the only one you can’t stand?  I like Hans for his YouTube break downs. Which is the only thing I listen to. 

I tolerate Locke for the Jazz but almost always watch the games when possible. 

Reilly is ok but he repeats himself constantly to lengthen out his show. Just listen to him and how he says the same thing every thirty seconds or so. 

The rest??  If I did my job that poorly I would be fired. They are all bitter little dweebs because the schtick of getting TDS fans and Utah fans riled up is getting old. 

ironman1315
            Ute Fan
            @ironman1315

Its either HO or Gunther. They suck but HO Gunther sucks worse. If it is between Monson and Gunther I go gunther. There ain’t a whole lot of options out there.

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

Monson is a 100% do not listen to him at all. Laziest dolt ever he is only employed because of his wealth.  Boylen pegged his ass to the wall and was Boylen’s greatest accomplishment. 

Monson reminds me of all the old dogs that you have worked for that you wait every year to retire and go away. 

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

My big takeaway is that BYU fans listen to AM radio and Utah fans don’t. I also think BYU fans get more involved in sports talk because it links closer to tribal identity than my fandom of UofU sports, but that’s only a theory.

I don’t know how else to explain why 1280 etc. do what they do.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

If Hans did his breakdowns on air I would listen. 

Duhwayne
          Ute Fan
          @duhwayne

I would too. Usually it’s ten minutes buried in two hours of BYU practice reviews and BYU fan ego satiation, high school inside jokes among station staff, and shilling for male hand creme or truck dealerships or on site promos with free popcorn in Layton or Orem. It’s a chance to be the best x and o talk on Utah sports but it’s just too much noise to signal.

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

If I happen to be in the car during Jazz season I will turn it on. Outside of that I refuse to listen to the Irrelevance of TDS football. 

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I think 1280 does what they do because they don’t make any money. If you were making $15,000-30,000 a year, you wouldn’t work hard either. 

ironman1315
          Ute Fan
          @ironman1315

Maybe. But then I see other people working hard and getting good insight and giving it for the same price elsewhere because they have some damn pride. What’s worse though is that the 60 in 60 is not voted on by HO and whoever else is there. It’s voted on by sports people in the friggin’ state. And it is ridiculous that Fotu, based on that sample, is that low. 10 I can see. 15 I cannot. Of course, these idiots put Canada ahead of Shyne so…

Stone
            Ute Fan
            @stone

The sooner you fully realize that all media is a business, you will care less about this stuff. They are selling a product (access to a market of captivated consumers). To make that business successful, media needs to maximize their market so that there is more value to the advertisers or be very specialized in a segment of the market that an advertiser covets. For sports media in Utah, the goal would be to keep fans of all the programs interested, thus maintaining the ability to offer advertisers access to the majority of sports fans in Utah. So given that, it is perfectly logical to not have a list that includes only Utah players in the top 10. Why alienate fans of other programs and diminish your business’s value. Dumb business move. 

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

Don’t call yourself a journalist or media then I am fine with that behavior if so.

ironman1315
                Ute Fan
                @ironman1315

This^

Stone
                Ute Fan
                @stone

The ethics of journalism are going the way of the dodo. I think true journalists still exist (i.e, just reporting the facts), but it is the rare case when their personal bias does not shape the story or their bosses shape the reporting afterward. They can be purists or they can make money. Hard to do both these days because the barrier to entry (via social media) is much lower than it used to be.

If business is not profitable, the owner loses money and journalist is out of a job. So the journalist, even the purist, has a vested interest in helping the business maximize profits.

Duhwayne
            Ute Fan
            @duhwayne

They may take votes, but then they “compile” the rankings. They’re a joke. I’m not sure a single player on BYU would start at Utah this year, and I have no idea who plays at USU nor do I need to because they aren’t competitive. Utah State beat Utah once in the last 20 years.

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

If they wanted to even seem fair why not just rank the players value to their respective teams?  Utah doesn’t even play USU so it doesn’t matter at all. 

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

I don’t need get it either. Utah used to have so much talent on the radio. Jim Nantz did radio here. Ian Fitzsimmons. Even Locke left for greener pastures. Ryan Hatch. Bolerjack. 

Now? Garbage. What an opportunity for some of these guys to kill it here and then move onwards and upwards. They are too comfortable. 

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

I think they painted themselves in that corner. Unpaid media are ad delivery systems. Now the advertisers they can sell ad time to are businesses selling to BYU fans. Self fulfilling prophecy. But again, maybe there just aren’t a lot of Ute fans to sell to on daytime AM. I know how to check stats on websites but don’t know how to undercover for radio.

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

Not that I agree but in a weird way (on the surface) this could be semi-accurate.  Leki will be double teamed on every down through the first 5 or 6 games.  There will be those (who focus on stats) that say he’s underperforming.  Once teams realize that Anae, Tupai, Tafua, Hansen or Tonga are racking up ridiculous stats some Offensive Coordinator will get this “great idea” to come off of him to help elsewhere and his numbers will rise significantly.

We need Leki to commit to holding those blocks and let the others take advantage.  It’s critical to the success of our D.  It will quickly become a pick your poison situation and one they can’t control.

That said he’s in the Top 10 easy, both in potential and importance to his team  By the end of the year he’ll be there.

GameForAnyFuss
        Ute Fan
        @gameforanyfuss

Are you an angel, sent from on high to bless us?

ironman1315
          Ute Fan
          @ironman1315

He’s Whittingham.

Onlyu
            Ute Fan
            @uf8fl

Haha!  BS!  

ironman1315
              Ute Fan
              @ironman1315

Methinks the OnlyU doth protest too much.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

They put Butch Pau over Leki? Jeez, sports writers in Utah know nothing.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Corbin Kaufusi? Really. At 12? Come on son!

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Leki Fotu 15 in the 60 in 60