Local Media

Viewing 4 reply threads

Sweetness
      Ute Fan
      @sweetness

First things first, I’m not complain about the media guy. I usually give a big ole eye roll when I see posts complaining about people/stations being biased, loving the zoobs etc. (except for the obvious ones like McCann, Harmon, Wrubell, Riley, that are actually like in bed with the teams they cover)

That being said, it’s been extremely frustrating to me these past few weeks that we are having to rely on national media guys such as Tim Brando, Yogi Roth, Joel Klatt, Herbstreit, etc. to make our case. I thought after the Alabama loss that would change, but 1280 had Yogi Roth on this morning and PK is basically telling him all the reasons why he thinks Oklahoma has a better resume and Yogi was forced to defend why Utah is the better team.

There’s nothing I hate more than people irrationally blowing smoke with a clear agenda I.e. Finebaum, but it would be really refreshing if we could at least get the local media to highlight our strengths and argue our case. AP voters, Coaches, CFP committee are all putting us ahead of Oklahoma. It’s not an irrational or unreasonable position at all.

I don’t understand their angle. It’s been 3-4 weeks now of why the committee will leave us out and why we should prepare ourselves for that scenario.

Screw that! Let’s talk about why we’re getting in!

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

PK is the biggest troll in all of local media. He says things to p**s people off just to get attention. I truly don’t know how DJ can stand doing a show with him.

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

Hmm, are we reading the same media? I’ve read some good articles about the Utes in the Tribune, DesNews, and KSL. M

sweetgrass
      Ute Fan
      @sweetgrass

good points, a couple of thoughts:

– negativity sells better 

– to be fair Yogi Roth has an agenda as well, to push the narrative of his employer the PAC-12 (granted he’s been on Utah’s bandwagon since Spring Ball.  I’ll give him credit for that)

– our local media just isn’t very good

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

I didn’t hear the interview you are talking about, but it sounds to me like PK was doing what a good radio host should do. How boring would the conversation be if went like this:

PK: “Utah is so good, don’t you think?”

Roth: “Yes.”

PK: “Utah should be in the playoff, right?!”

Roth: “I agree.”

DJ: “Thanks for coming on the show, Yogi.”

Roth: “Thanks for having me.”

Obviously that is a bit of an exaggeration but I know I would much rather listen to a point-counterpoint debate type of conversation over a couple of fanboys talking about how great Utah is.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.