7 4

KelVarnsen
        Ute Fan
        @kelvarnsen

WE DID IT!

Larry B
          Ute Fan
          @larryb

It’s being reported that he resigned and wasn’t fired. So does that mean he forfeits his buyout?

KelVarnsen
            Ute Fan
            @kelvarnsen

Harlen’s statement that was release sounds like he was fired. But hopefully they worked out a lower buyout. 

Great1Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tribute

I will be interested to see which players come back–probably depends on who the new coach is.

Ex’dUte
      Ute Fan
      @exdute

My guess is the U. worked out a “severance package” that is close to his buyout amount had he been fired, but this way Larry gets to say he resigned and Harlan gets to say he didn’t fire a coach during a pandemic.

astUTE
        Ute Fan
        @astute

I’m stunned.  I really didn’t expect the U to fire him (if he was fired) following a pandmic year and with the budget in such a hole.

This makes me think that Larry had simply had enough.  The honest truth is that he would still be here and would have been much more effective in the last several years, if certain other coaches and teams in the conference were not allowed to get away with payola for recruits.

UteThunder
          Ute Fan
          @utethunder

Not necessarily true. He may have landed some higher profile recruits, but his transfer problems would likely have continued. Something about Larry was turning players off after they got here.

Great1Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tribute

Harlan’s statement.  What is the strategy behind making the announcement and then starting the search?

https://utahutes.com/news/2021/3/16/mens-basketball-statement-from-utah-director-of-athletics-mark-harlan.aspx

UrbanLiar
        Ute Fan
        @urbanliar

Possibly getting the word out ASAP amongst hot coaches that would take other jobs if the search was done quietly or at a later date in the annual hiring/recruiting cycle.

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

I have to agree. Already we have had some interesting coaches express interest, like Bryant. Now I’m not saying Bryant would be the best choice, but there are probably others around eyeing the job. Utah has the potential of coming back and being badass with the right coach who can recruit, and retain, and develop players.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

Utah hoops since big Rick has really been crap. How do you come back from being down so long?

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

How did football do it?

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

By making the right coaching hire, (McBride.) Harlan has a very critical decision to make here.

UrbanLiar
        Ute Fan
        @urbanliar

We have almost everything a coach would want: new facilities, new coaches offices, a willingness to pay a top 10 coaching salary, and hopefully a temporarily ambivalent fan base desiring to fill the arena back up. I’m not sure if it’s wise or not at this point to remind everybody about Harlan’s experience at the U of A. He’s seen successful programs from the inside, so let’s see what he does.

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

Props to Harlan for getting this done now! Can’t wait to see who he brings in as his first BIG hire.

1 1

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

IM SOOOOOOOOOO HAPPPPPPPYYYYYY.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Looks like Larry K has been let go