Love that they went for two. Just don’t like it turning into a broken play.

Viewing 13 reply threads
      9 2

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Good game USC you won. 

11 2

javadave
      Ute Fan
      @javadave

Don’t love that Williams doesn’t see that Carrington wide open again. 

2 7

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

Are you serious? That was the dumbest s**t I have ever seen. Did they learn nothing from Sitake last year?

5 4

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Yes.  My opinion as well.  Kick the extra point and take the higher percentage in OT.  Instead we put it all on ONE play to get 3 yards when we have struggled in short yardage all year.  

Anonymous
        Inactive

It’s the smart move for a gassed team that doesn’t perform well in the red zone.

3 3

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

We don’t perform well in the red zone, so we go for it.  Um kay.

Anonymous
            Inactive

We go down 35-28 in OT and it’s the same thing all over again.

1 1

Tony (admin)
              Admin/Founder
              @admin

You don’t know that.  Darnold coughed the ball up quite a bit.  We get a TO or hold them to a field goal.  If we kicked the extra point we’d still be playing right now.

1 9

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

That was unforgivable. Whittingham just cost us the PAC12 south. 

3 1

newute50
        Ute Fan
        @newute50

Get off it. It was a gutsy call that didn’t pan out. If it worked, you’d be singing his praises. It was a great game, and I can’t be too upset after that.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Look it is YOUR BEST WIDEOUT BY A LARGE MARGIN WIDE OPEN WILLIAMS!!!!

4 5

Tim Juice
        Ute Fan
        @timjuice83

Agree with you that was the stupidest call from Utah I’ve seen in a good long while.

alharmon
        @alharmon

I like Utah’s chances better on a two point conversion rather than overtime on the road against a USC team that built up a lot of momentum in the 4th quarter. It didn’t work out, but I don’t think Utah would’ve won in overtime. Utah had their chances throughout the game though, and the game coming down to that play could have been avoided.

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

Except WE had the momentum at that point.

crazyute
      Ute Fan
      @crazyute

It was a good call. Our defense was gassed. And you can’t count on Williams to score from 25 out.
      Williams look up and see open WR. But he wanted to be a hero

3 3

Tim Juice
        Ute Fan
        @timjuice83

Right Williams just drove the length of the field and scored what should have been the tying score but can’t count on him from 25 yards get it together stupid f**king call no excuses that’s all it was

crazyute
          Ute Fan
          @crazyute

Right only drive in the second half. He makes it look easy

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

Against a prevent defense. 

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Did you think Utah was going to score from the two yard line after that fourth down conversion??

1 1

cbmute
      Ute Fan
      @cbmute

I thought it was a terrible choice to go for it.  Remind me again how good a red zone offense Utah has amd who was playing QB. Troy played better than expected but he is not good in thise situations. Plus if they make it, the game is still not over. Either way your defense still needs to make a stop. 

3 4

Tim Juice
        Ute Fan
        @timjuice83

Ever heard of momentum? Give your defense a chance don’t just p**s it away. Stupid call and hush league no two ways around it. Get real.

MotherJabubu
      Ute Fan
      @motherjabubu

I don’t feel raw about them going for 2 but I still don’t like it. This is a defensive team. the defense is the heart and soul of Utah football and the only reason we were in the game. I don’t care that USC gashed us on their final drive. Put some faith in your defense to win the game

Red Dawn
      Ute Fan
      @ranger15

Agree! If Williams hits Carrington it is brilliant. He didn’t. We couldn’t stop USC anyways. So close

crazyute
      Ute Fan
      @crazyute

We win if troy doesn’t try too be a hero. Look up!

Great cal by whitt

2 6

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

The downvotes are real. Go ahead and disagree. But every part of football logic says that you take the extra point. 

1 1

crazyute
      Ute Fan
      @crazyute

Not in that situation

2 3

Tim Juice
        Ute Fan
        @timjuice83

Why not in that situation defense has held them all night but two drives, momentum can shift in an instant. Call was f**king stupid you know it I know it we all know it. Stupid and bush league.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

How was it Bush league?  I don’t get it.

crazyute
      Ute Fan
      @crazyute

Besides drives of 98, 88, and 93. The defense was gassed.
      Great call by whitt

1 3

Grimmetal
      Ute Fan
      @grimmetal

Sorry, not a smart call in the least. You have to plan for not making it. Once you call that TO, you kick the XP. You already know you’re giving USC the ball back. Don’t give them the ball, the lead, AND the clock.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2017-10-11/art-2-point-conversion-when-and-why-go-it

There is a chart in the article that states when down by 1 you only need to make it 56% percent of the time on the two-point conversion.

I can’t remember the stat, despite searching, and it is something near 60% winning percentage for home teams in OT. Then, you have to couple that with the hope that you get to play offense second in the first OT, since you win something like 60% of the time if that happens.

I’m no statistician, but a 50-50 thing the two-point conversion seems better than hoping you “even things out” by playing offense second or a 24% chance if you play offense first.

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Love that they went for two. Just don’t like it turning into a broken play.