Major League Baseball in Utah?

Viewing 6 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

A press conference today announced that Utah (under the Miller Group) is going to try to bring major league baseball to Utah. They have talked to MLB leaders and they believe they have a good chance of getting a team.
      I am glad it’s baseball and not football. An NFL team would reduce interest in Utes football as the Jazz did to the basketball team. I would not want to compete with the NFL.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

They said they want to have a Triple-A and Major League baseball team in Salt Lake County.  That seems odd to me.  The Major League stadium will be built by I80 and I215 in West SLC.  

CincyUte
      Ute Fan
      @cincyute

Would this be the smallest market in MLB?

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I can’t think of a smaller market MLB team.

PlainsUte
          Ute Fan
          @plainsute

Yeah, I thought maybe Milwaukee/Wisconsin but considering the pop of the respective cities and states SLC/Utah is about half the size of that market.  If you argue a “Utah” team would draw from the Intermountain West rather than be limited at the state lines like the Brewers (due to existence of Minneapolis, Chicago and Detroit teams) maybe you could make an argument for sufficient size for a team.

Extra Medium
        Ute Fan
        @runningreddude

Saw this on Twitter…take it for what it’s worth. 

“Salt Lake City” is not the market. SLC-Provo-Ogden is all a single market. 2.65 million people in the SLC-Ogden-Provo area. Currently more than: – Milwaukee – Cincinnati – Pittsburgh – Cleveland – Kansas City Give us an MLB team AND a NHL team, NOW. We’re big enough.

2 1

PlainsUte
          Ute Fan
          @plainsute

If you are going to cite “market” you ahve to do apples-to-apples. Milwaukee draws fans from all of Wisconsin – 6 million population vs 3 million for Utah.

CincyUte
            Ute Fan
            @cincyute

Same with Cincinnati.  They draw from the entire tristate, particularly Dayton and northern Kentucky.

Rick
          Ute Fan
          @rickyrules

The market is typically the DMA which is the television broadcast boundary.  Salt Lake City DMA is the largest geographic DMA in the USA due to the broadcast reach of KSL and the LDS Church.  So it is the entire state of Utah, parts of Idaho, Wyoming, Nevada and Colorado.  By DMA data, SLC is 29th and larger than San Diego, Kansas City, Cincinnati, Milwaukee and Las Vegas.  The big question is how does TV eyeballs translate to butts in seats in the incredibly long season with a ton of home games?  Not sure.  I do know that even the most storied franchises don’t sell out a majority of their home games.  I would go to some games but no way would I buy season tickets.

1 1

Extra Medium
      Ute Fan
      @runningreddude

If they aren’t the Utah Pioneers or Gulls I’ll be disappointed. 

cicampbe
      Ute Fan
      @cicampbe

Portland, Oregon, my hometown, has been working with the MLB for 20+ years to get a team. Effectively, the same size market as SLC. Buckle in. It’s a long ride.

fosternano
      Ute Fan
      @fosternano

With Vegas being there other considered market I would be shocked if it doesn’t go there. Both the NHL golden knights and raiders have seemed to really find their spark and Vegas is pushing for a team in every major sport now.

UtesRule
        Ute Fan
        @utesrule

Vegas is likely going to get the A’s as a relocation team before then.

UtesRule
      Ute Fan
      @utesrule

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Professional Sports MLB Major League Baseball in Utah?