Men’s Basketball – Houston We Have A Problem

Viewing 5 reply threads
      3 1

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Have we seen the best we will get out of Coach K?  I’m now quite concerned.  After the mistakes this season, and all the turmoil in the program over the last couple of years, I’m wondering WTF is going on.  A year or two ago I thought we were on the rise and by now or next year we would be making deep runs into the NCAA.  Now we can barely sniff the NIT, and lose in the first round.

7 1

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

Good Hell, let’s get a hold of ourselves. In Utah’s first down year since Krysko started his upward climb, Utah finished 4th in the conference behind 3 top 15 teams who went dancing. 11- 7 in conference, 20-12 overall. It was a down year. This kid from Nevada coming in is going to be really good. Utah will climb back into contention. 

a

Anonymous
      Inactive

Devon Daniels was toxic to the team. Good at slashing to the basket, but that disappeared towards the end of close games. So his style points were worthless when it was money time with the game on the line. Interesting tryout, but hit the road Devon.

Jo Jo sucked.

Coreyc04
        Ute Fan
        @greenstormute

That’s crap. He served his suspension and came back and was just fine. Larry should not have let him go. He was planning on coming back and Larry screwed it up. 

Uterider
          Ute Fan
          @uterider

I’d like to know more about this. How did Larry screw it up with Daniels?

Coreyc04
            Ute Fan
            @greenstormute

Daniels tweeted two days after the season he would be back. Larry didn’t want him back. This is extremely obvious.

AZswayze
              Ute Fan
              @AZswayze

If he didn’t want him back doesn’t that kinda prove that Daniels’ antics were more trouble than they were worth? I was initially upset when I heard he was leaving, but coaches don’t typically let highly skilled players go unless there’s a serious concern with character.

Coreyc04
                Ute Fan
                @greenstormute

I know he was working hard. I feel Larry keeps grudges longer than he should. You can look at his personal life for that.

Anonymous
        Ute Fan
        @anonymous

Don’t necessarily disagree with you about the plays of JJZ and DD — not that impressed. I’m just more concerned about our coaching staff’s ability to recruit. I think it’s just a lot of turnovers within such a short period of time. Nobody wants bad/toxic players — how about we try not to recruit so many of them? And, not impressed by the likes of Rawson (don’t get me started on Jokl).

Wilson’s Mustache
      Ute Fan
      @sigmaute

While I am worried and very frustrated about the transfers, especially a very talented kid like Daniels, I haven’t given up on Larry yet. 

Hes done a lot of good things at Utah and this is his first year that the team hasn’t improved their overall record. 

I for one will give him at least another year before I jump ship and start calling for his head. 

I think people need to relax a little. 

2 1

gUrthBrooks
        Ute Fan
        @hammer

Why worry? Seriously. In a down year, the team was 20-12, 11-7 in the PAC12. Krysko sent Daniels packing. If this kid for Nevada has his HS game translate to D1, he’s going to be really good. 

noneyadb
          Ute Fan
          @noneyadb

“In a down year”- 20-12 with a weak non-conference schedule, and the majority of the Pac12 also being down, is not very reassuring.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

One reason for the worry is the base of players we have now. This coming year Champan and Kuzma should have been a hell of a duo. Chapman was a bust and Kuzma may or may not be back.  We have no leader, at guard especially.  We have a weak center position, especially defensively. Weak forward positions.  Hell, we are week across the board. There seem to be no really good players coming down the pipe or under development. 

Couple that with what seems to be some very bad basketball IQ, either coaching, or players or both, and that’s what the worry is.

Coreyc04
        Ute Fan
        @greenstormute

Yep this team is going into an offseason with a ton of flaws. Honestly Rawson should transfer. He is not a Pac 12 player. I’m just mad that these are the two players who are going. Rawson and Jokl are the two transfers that seemed obvious. They are not at a Pac 12 level and the talent is not there for them. My biggest hope is that Jayce Johnson develops more and we have one hell of a front court and Barefield also develops and we have a good backcourt. The problems is that Larry cut Daniels who could be the very best recruit we’ve ever had and has friends who are transferring to other schools. He could have been a big recruiting tool for us this season but Larry screwed that up too. 

Hal Evans
      Ute Fan
      @dixieute

If you look back the three games that Daniels was out Utah had the best team chemistry it had all season. I went to Hawaii and watched the Utes there. When Daniels scored the 33 points I was concerned because it was clear he was an “about me” player. I think the kid had a ton of talent and potential but lacked discipline and maturity. Maybe he would have come around and maybe not. Corey needs to cool a little. Wait and see what the coach may have working behind the curtain. I think the Seeley kid that was out this year could be a big talent as well

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Men’s Basketball – Houston We Have A Problem