Moar Utah Football Talk

Viewing 1 reply thread

Dwight89
      Ute Fan
      @jordan-buckner

Alright folks, as we get closer and closer to Fall Camp, what are the position groups that still need to be sorted out, and who are the likely starters? 

For me, I think the group that seems to be most up for grabs right now are the wide receivers. Right now I would say the five who are in the running to start are:

Bronson Boyd

Siaosi Mariner

Britain Covey

Demari Simpkins

Samson Nacua

6 5

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Bryan Thompson is our best receiver. 

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

100% 

FtheY
          Ute Fan
          @fthey

OnlyU, what makes him so much better? 

Utah called that one. Maybe downvotes for being correct? 

Onlyu
            Ute Fan
            @uf8fl

First of all we are in a much better position at WR top to bottom than we probably ever have been albeit maybe slightly inexperienced.

We’re splitting hairs a little with Mariner, Covey, Nacua, and Simpkins. They’re all right there but Thompson on paper is one of the more talented receivers we’ve landed at the U. 6’2”/210…plenty physical, great hands, Engineering track so highly intelligent, great route runner…the whole package. He started to come on strong at the end of last season and worked his way into some game time before it was over. Really struggled to figure things out in the Summer/Camp…moving too fast for him but once he caught up his talent really started to show. Got hurt lifting so missed the Spring which is why you haven’t heard much about him BUT you will.

If you ask the guys throwing to him right now they will say in order – Thompson, Simpkins, Boyd, Nacua, Wilson, Covey (though he wasn’t there to throw to in the Spring and that probably changes). They cannot believe how quick Perriman is. Enis hasn’t had much time with them yet but also probably works his way up. You know what you get with Field. We’ll see where Dixon figures in since he’s young but he’s also behind the core group today.

Thompson, Simpkins and Boyd – group 1

Mariner, Nacua, Covey, Enis – group 2

Dixon, Field, Johnson, Turley group 3

Not set in stone but if the season started today that’s where we’re at.

3 1

Utah
              Ute Fan
              @utah

Another thing I’d recommend, is listen to the coaches. No one has seen Thompson play this year, but every coach brings him up every time they are asked about the WR’s…unprompted. That’s a good sign. 

FtheY
              Ute Fan
              @fthey

Thanks OnlyU, awesome breakdown. This makes me very optimistic. 

1 1

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Lol @ those who thumbs me down. 

darklightning
          Ute Fan
          @darklightning

The same people who think Samson Nacua is ranked #35 on 60 in 60, I would guess. 

FtheY
          Ute Fan
          @fthey

I have to give you a thumbs down just so I don’t miss out. Everyone else has. 

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

Ha ha. I think there is a small group of desperados thumbing me down (3-5 people) consistently in hopes of driving me away. 

They are defending their honor by thumbing me down. Ha ha. 

Duhwayne
              Ute Fan
              @duhwayne

If you can’t handle Utah at his worst, you don’t deserve him at his best?

FtheY
              Ute Fan
              @fthey

Glad you got the humor out of that one, I thought it was funny! Yeah, downvotes happen from time to time, unfortunately. Oh well, such is life on the message boards. 

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

I’d argue that Thompson, Boyd, and Enis will play in the NFL or at least reach the level of the guys you mention.  Mariner, Simpkins and potentially Covey will get a look as well.  Very similar…Enis, Boyd and Thompson are higher rated incoming prospects than those listed above as well.  

Point taken on catches but in fairness Boyd wasn’t eligible and Covey and Enis weren’t here.  Simpkins, Mariner, Nacua and Thompson were involved. 

I forgot Perriman above…he wasn’t here either but will probably figure into the return game until Simpkins moves on.

Young but talented.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Two are defensive NFL guys. The others are marginal NFL guys.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Moar Utah Football Talk