More blood-letting at ESPN

Viewing 4 reply threads

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

150 more people getting pink slips

Could be beginning of the end to escalation in TV contracts and hence coach salaries, etc in college sports??

https://deadspin.com/espn-will-lay-off-150-employees-today-1820832381

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

Those 150 jobs were lost because BYU lost its global audience in football this season.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

ESPN had it coming when they decided to become the “all football, all the time” network. With the decline of football comes the unsurprising decline of ESPN.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

I haven’t watched ESPN’s talking heads in many years. Their schtick became very old. It was more about them and not about the sports they were supposedly covering.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

I think they jumped the shark the minute they decided playing cards was a sport.

KiYi-Ute
        Ute Fan
        @kiyi-ute

Hey, I love all football all the time!

Joking aside, I see your point. I’m just deeply in denial of the possibility that my favorite sport won’t exist in 10-15 years.

Red Don
        Ute Fan
        @reddon

ESPN had it coming when they decided to become the “all football, all the time” network. With the decline of football comes the unsurprising decline of ESPN.

Major national concern regarding CTE’s but where is this decline in football?  It’s as popular as ever.  ESPN got into too many non-sports things and concentrated too much on their numerous no-nothing blowhard talking heads.

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

This is true and false. 

It has nothing to do with people not watching ESPN. It’s still insanely profitable. 

ESPN’s problem is people who don’t watch sports. ESPN’s business model is based off subscriber fees. As people cut the cord, most of them liberal, non sports watching folks, ESPN loses revenue. 

Its the country bumpkin, sport loving fans that make ESPN money. They are the ones that pay for cable/satellite to see their team play every Sunday. 

RedLine
            Ute Fan
            @redline

These types of comments certainly aren’t gaining ESPN viewers:  Kirk Herbstreit also responded to Petersen on GameDay, saying Washington should “be thankful for ESPN.”

7 1

Italy88
        Ute Fan
        @itacoatiara22

I think it was when they decided to mix politics and sports.  When I watch sports, I want sports.  I don’t want political views from either side.

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

It’s still only 3% of the workforce over all rounds of layoffs as they restructure. My experience is that most larger companies have far more fat than that in the workforce and could probably stand to trim at least double that amount without affecting operations. The drive is on to become more efficient across all sectors of the economy.

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

Guess I’ve missed out entirely on the political talk shows that ESPN is now apparently running.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc More blood-letting at ESPN