Morgan Scalley suspended for supposedly racist tweet from 2013.

Viewing 5 reply threads

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

Nevermind. I’m wrong. Apparently it’s a text attributed to Scalley.

17 5

Tednab
      Ute Fan
      @tednab

My Hell .. grow the F up .. can’t say anything without offending someone ; so how far we gonna push this .

3 8

CapitalUte
        Ute Fan
        @capitalute

In what universe does this comment get 10 thumbs up? I hope like hell I get 100 thumbs down if this board’s idea of a good response to a racial slur is “grow the F up”. The fact that you were actually worried about people being offended by spelling out the word f**k that you just typed F, but getting offended over the N-word is pushing it too far.

6 3

CB
          Ute Fan
          @solidhobo

So you’re ok with living in a world that doesn’t tolerate a single mistake? You’re cool with living in a world where ONE WORD sent in a text can cost you your job and your livelihood 7 YEARS LATER? It’s a bad word, but losing your job over saying it in a text is ridiculously extreme buddy…

3 2

CapitalUte
            Ute Fan
            @capitalute

This didn’t happen in the 1960’s. In 2013, and long before, it was widely known how explosively charged that word is when being used by a white man. In my line of work, a missed comma or one wrong word in a contract has cost many an individual their job. Morgan’s line of work is to interact with a lot of young talented African American men and their families, so why even joke around with it knowing it could blow up in your face? When a program is investing 100’s of millions in facilities to get a razor-thin advantage in recruiting the last thing you need is for a key assistant to be using that word enough that it can accidentally be fired off in a text to a recruit.

Do you honestly think the one time he used just happened to be in a text he accidentally sent to a black recruit? I

Tednab
          Ute Fan
          @tednab

First of all when I wrote this , what Scalley had actually said wasn’t released or at least i didn’t know the full story.. I don’t condone the use of that word nor is it something I would personally say to someone .. the biggest issue I have is the time frame of which it occurred, 7 years .. it should have been handled and dealt with then

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

My 2 cents. If the investigation turns up anything else. He’s gone. If it doesn’t, it will determined by the players. If the players forgive Morgan and acknowledge it was a one time thing ignorant everyone makes mistakes comment He will be reinstated by Orion places on some sort of probation. My guy tells me that the players love Morgan and consider him more of a brother than a coach and will forgive him. However, even if isolated, if this affects the current players or recruiting he would be gone. I can’t see it going that far based on a 7 year old text and plenty of African American players that he’s coaches sense who likely have his back. So I’m guessing he will be back and reinstated. I like what the university is doing though. Especially right now. Get a head of it. Do what’s right. Don’t try to cover it up. Morgan needs to take his licks and come back better.

5 1

Tednab
        Ute Fan
        @tednab

… 7 years ago is ahead

CapitalUte
        Ute Fan
        @capitalute

According to Mo Lee and Ryan Lacy he used it with them. Specifically from 2008 to 2013 when Ryan Lacy as a Senior felt he could confront him on it.

13 6

CB
      Ute Fan
      @solidhobo

It’s insane how we have become so soft as a society, that one goddamn word from almost a decade ago can single-handedly cost you your job and ruin your life. Holy f**king s**t, people need to grow up. Yes it is a bad word, but in what world should it cost you your job 7 years after sending it in a text?

6 3

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

It’s not softness at all. There’s a segment of society out for revenge.

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

I’ll wait to judge or defend until more info comes out (I.e. pattern of behavior, what was actually said, etc). I’d like to think that this was an isolated incident that was a simple monumental lapse of judgement, but I have no idea at this point…and neither do you.

I fear the damage may already be done though. If you’re a minority recruit and just found out your coach sent a racial slur via text (regardless of how long ago it was), are you still going to come play for him?

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Majerus wouldn’t have lasted 5 minutes in today’s environment.

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

I would love to see him try.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Morgan Scalley suspended for supposedly racist tweet from 2013.