MOTIVATION

Viewing 5 reply threads

UtesRule
      Ute Fan
      @utesrule

I think this is good for the team, bad for the rest of the league. React!
      Utes Voted 3rd in South

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

ASU is so overrated this year. 

2 1

Wilson’s Mustache
        Ute Fan
        @sigmaute

How is ASU overrated? Compared to what?

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

ASU is being considered as a top south team for one reason: Daniels. While he is elite at some things, he is terrible at others, namely throwing from the pocket. He can’t do it. Don’t believe me? Go watch the Utah game. Utah kept him from getting out of the pocket and he was beyond terrible that game (4/18, 25 yard, 1 INT). 

And if you think Cal, USC and Utah aren’t going to try to replicate keeping him in the pocket…

So, we are banking on Daniels learning how to throw from the pocket, in a year with no spring ball and limited fall camp AND he loses 4 OL AND Eno Benjamin AND he loses his top 3 pass catchers? 

And we haven’t even gotten into whether or not the OL can keep him healthy. Three of the first four of ASU’s games are against arguably the three most chaotic, athletic defenses in the PAC-12. New OL with USC’s DL and Cal’s defense..

That is a really, really tough sell. 

Daniels is good. He may even end up elite. But he needs help. And all those Freshmen WR’s and RB’s won’t be ready to help him this year. 

Next year? Yeah, next year the will be good, really, really good. But the hype has arrived for them one year too early. 

cjd1
            Ute Fan
            @cjd1

/\/\ this

4 1

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

I’m also not buying into the ASU hype. I’ll have to see it first. I think Ute fans just have PTSD from losing to them so much.

Hellhound152
              Ute Fan
              @hellhound152

As wowed as I have been by Herms 15-11 record with legit NFL talent in the skill positions the last couple of years, I will believe it when I see it.  Also, the PTSD thing is becoming a sorry excuse when the Utes have won 3 of the last 5.

ProudUte
            Ute Fan
            @proudute

Utah brings up some good points.  A good experienced Oline is key to any successful offense.  I didn’t know that they lost 4 linemen.  That being the case, they may indeed struggle. 

Nonetheless, we lost a ton on defense.  I suspect that SC is the team to beat in the South. 

Vegas has ASU and us both at 9-1 odds to win the conference.

Go Utes!!!

1 2

Grayshirt
      Ute Fan
      @grayshirt

FIRE LUDWIG?

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

South will come down to Utah and SC. If Utaj can pull it off. They likely will represent the south again.

Redblood
      Ute Fan
      @redblood

I don’t know that being picked 2nd in the South this year is overhyped. We have to replace NFL talent at QB, RB, DL, LB and the entire secondary. That is a ton of talent, more than we’ve ever had to replace.

From that perspective it makes sense. Not expecting a decent drop off is kind of like LSU fans being surprised. They have a ton of talent, more than us, to replace their NFL guys. But they got beat by a mediocre at best MSU team. They didn’t want to believe there would be a drop off. Either do we. But there will be. The question is how much?

We have more experience returning than LSU did so it’s not exactly the same but the point remains: It’s not absurd for the media to expect a drop off from us that would place us at 3.

The key to me is the overall talent is increasing, that can’t be disputed. So even if we go 3-3 (I’m not saying we will, who knows) this year due to inexperience the ceiling the next 3 years is higher than it was with our last group. And that is pretty high considering we were in the playoff discussion going into the conference championship game last year.

I’m not gonna get worked up about a prediction. I’m going to enjoy the development of our youngsters. Want to get excited? Go look at the talent on our roster at the FR. and SO. class. It’s unbelievable! Junior class has talent and depth as well so don’t count us out next year. But, I’m going to show some patience this year.

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

Utah still had more 1st place votes than ASU.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.