my biggest problem with the goal to go plays

Viewing 3 reply threads

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

oregon state (and everyone else) knows if we dont run it, we are going to the flats. Im guessing our thought is we balance that with runs up the middle so they load up there, then attack the edges. Either way, we are lacking variability inside the 3-5 and are making it easier to defend us. a defense can be schemed to stop runs up the middle or quick dumps to the flat if thats all they have to worry about.

that being said, both fourth down plays could have worked. the corner route was wide open on the first one. Cam just misread it. the second one we had a 2v1 with covey in the flat and kuithe in the corner and only one defender out there. An immediate protection breakdown allowed that defender to “middle” the 2 routes, and if cam had more than 1 second and the routes could develop further, that defender would have had to chose a route and one would have been left open

after this game especially, every dc we go against will know exactly what we want to do inside the 5. time to mix it up. id love to see some high/low stuff with a short curl and a crosser in the back of the endzone. that will be there with them playing the edges

astUTE
      Ute Fan
      @astute

It’s time to resurrect the 2003 Utah at Air Force, Ben Moa play (I think it was actually a 2 point conversion).  Not exactly that play perhaps, but to your point, something unusual or unexpected.

D T
      Ute Fan
      @azute1

The play just before the Kuithe fail was a guaranteed TD had the pass been accurate.

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

The two on one route combination is like the pick and roll in basketball.  Everyone knows its coming but if it is spaced right it works every time.  Both times the deep reciever broke the route off 2 yards shallow so the Defender did not have to commit.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

I wish I could rec this twice. There was an easy TD to be had on all of the red zone fails, especially this one. The issue wasn’t play calls it was execution. Excellent play by that db though slowing down enis and going after covey. Impressive.

rbmw263
        Ute Fan
        @rbmw263

disagree. the 2 on 1 route was because of a defensive lapse and could easily be schemed to make it 2v2. Whether you put an lb on the flat and cb on the corner or a corner on the flat and a safety on the corner. Just have to execute. oregon state did not and we did not make them pay. unfortunate

rbmw263
          Ute Fan
          @rbmw263

like i said, teams are going to do this and its going to open up the middle if we feel like drawing that up

Hellhound152
          Ute Fan
          @hellhound152

The 2 on 1 is always there because teams will not go light in the box on goal line.  If they leverage outside they get killed by inside runs.  Utah got the exact look by design, that is how it is coached because there are never enough defenders.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football my biggest problem with the goal to go plays