My impressions of today's scrimmage.

Viewing 8 reply threads

kazute
      Ute Fan
      @kazute

These are just my impressions. I didn’t take notes, so some of the details might be off.   I went to all of the scrimmages last spring. This spring, I have been to one early Saturday practice and this scrimmage today.

First, the offense is light-years ahead of where they were last spring, at this time.  Last year, I remember no push on the o-line, quarterbacks running for their lives, receivers dropping passes and an offense consisting of various screen plays.  This year, the pocket protection was good enough for deep throws. The routes were good, as well as the passing.  AND receivers were catching the ball!

The first series had Huntley shredding the defense for a touchdown drive (1v1).

The second series, Tuttle came out as th 2’s QB.  First play, a defender met him and the running back at the exchange in the backfield.  Fumble returned for 20 or so yards.  

Reset with the 2’s again.  Tuttle’s first pass smacked down by a defender in the backfield.  From there Tuttle drives them down the field for a touchdown.

There were other offensive highlights, but as the scrimmage wore on and the rain set in, the defense started stepping up.  But, overall today was the offense’s day.  The offense benefited from a number of pass interference or defensive holding calls (4 or 5 at least).

Many springs we are just waiting for the guys to show up in the fall.  This year, with the guys we have here we have talent.  Additions will be gravy.

In redzone setup, the offense struggled to pound it at the defense.  A few times the offense called in their bigs package and the defense would counter with “beast.”  I think the defense won just about all of those battles. After losing a few of those “beast” battles, the offense would go back to spreading it out and seemed to do better.  I remember a really nice short slant across the middle from Huntley in the redzone for a TD.

Shelly had a good touchdown drive as well, if I remember.  Though, Tuttle is not redshirting based upon the division of the reps with the 2’s.  

Kicking.  OMG.  The scrimmage started with the field goal unit starting in close.  Gay would kick, make it.  Then they would move back.  Kick after kick through the uprights.  Hit a 53 yarder.  Then moved back for a 55 yarder.  Gay missed that one and that was the end of the kicking drill.  As Gay was walking off, he was smacking himself in the head, showing his frustration that he missed the 55 yarder.  Our range is 60 yards, no joke.

Many halftimes last year, I would watch Gay come out ahead of the team and hit 50-60 yarders warming up for the second half.  

One drive the 1’s offense started at the 50.  After sputtering a bit, on a third and ten, Huntley scrambled for 4 or 5 yards to make it 4th and 5 at the 35.  On comes Gay for the 52 yard field goal and nails it.  A potentially otherwise lost drive, now 3 points.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Sounds like the defense really stinks. Great! 😉

Excellent write up thanks. 

kazute
      Ute Fan
      @kazute

We have a stable of running backs. Moss looks great. Shyne looks a bit tentative, but will be a beast. Green caught a pass in the flat 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage and raced through traffic along the sidleline for 11-12 yards and a first down.

They will bring in a running package and the backfield will shift so that Moss takes the snap directly and picks his hole. It’s a shift to the wildcat with Huntley in. It seemed effective. Huntley had some good blocks too, but it is mostly to get in someones way while Moss does his thing. I saw one short yardage touchdown with this play.

Did I mention the receivers were catching the ball? There was one pass in the redzone where Huntley zipped a pass to a receiver low (may have been on his knees) and it slid right through his hands and the defense intercepted the tip in the endzone. It was a 4th down and very wet at that point.

There were at least three beautiful touchdowns with QBs throwing to the corner of the endzone from distance (30 plus yards) that were brought in by the receivers with fairly good coverage. If they weren’t catching it, they were getting interfered with.

The defense had good play today too. I was just giddy watching the offense and comparing against last year. I remember a play in the redzone from about the 3 yardline where they pitched it out to Shyne and he was met immediately by a very thick linebacker for a 4-5 yard loss. It was quite the collision. The defense was very stout against the run in the redzone.

kazute
      Ute Fan
      @kazute

Another note. Very little running by Huntley. I only remember one, maybe two called runs and one scramble for the 5 yards that set up the long field goal. Stayed in the pocket for quite a while today. I think Tuttle had to scramble a bit more as the 1’s oline seemed to have better protection than the 2’s. Just general impressions though.

Other than the throw to the flat to Green, I don’t remember any screen throws today. All routes at least 5+ yards downfield. I know we still have them as I saw them in the earlier practice, they just don’t seem to be the staple that we rely on (based upon a data point of one spring scrimmage).

BD
      Ute Fan
      @flyfisherman

I had the exact same thoughts as you. 

First off, who is the receiver, #25, Jaylen Dixon? I mean, how many scores did he have today? Two? Three?  I didn’t keep track, but he had several I know. Although I think it was him who popped the ball up in the end-zone for an interception. But it was very wet then and so that was likely the reason. But when that happened he owned it and pointed at himself after even though it was raining then and the ball was wet. Still this kid was everywhere catching balls and scoring. I think it was him that caught a few sizzling fast balls over the middle by Tuttle last week as well – and he had to reach high for them also as they weren’t right in his chest. Really, what do we know about this kid? I haven’t heard much but was impressed with him today. Anybody know more?

I had the same thoughts about the kicking game. Man is Gay good! And the back up , Chayden Johnston is good too. He has a bright future when Gay is gone. It’s so funny since last year at Spring I honestly was afraid for the kicking team. They did not look good. Well, we know how that turned out. 

Moss is a beast. Dude is big and physical. 

NarfUte
        Ute Fan
        @narfute

Dixon had 4 (!) TD’s

Red Don
        Ute Fan
        @reddon

I think Dixon’s the guy I noticed when he and Shelley’s HS game was on ESPN several years ago.  We all tuned in to watch our QB recruit, Shelley, but as the game continued I was increasingly impressed with the one WR (number 1 I think) he was throwing to.  I think we offered him too and I’m pretty sure this is the same guy.  Anyway, nice to see him looking good.

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

Nice job Kaz!  Tyler is night and day better than he was last year and until the injury to his shoulder he was pretty good.  The timing of the offense is what we should be most excited about..it’s quick and relentless.  Tyler has complete command and understanding this year as does the O-line…Coach T is more comfortable with them as well.  Anything less than significant improvement on that side of the ball will be a huge disappointment. 

Some have concerns on defense…I will say that if everything comes together like it should with Pirtle, Blair and potentially Bernard – 3 additional starters on D that side won’t skip a beat.  

I’m trying hard to temper my expecatations, trying to account for the near misses in the past but as far as I’m concerned this is the deepest, most talented team, top to bottom, we’ve ever put on the field.  Excellent player leadership, complete continuity with the coaching staff and with the addition of GA, we have another P5 Head Coach, that understands our conference opponent at the highest level.  There is a feeling and belief that this will be a special year by everyone involved in the program.  Here’s to good health and some luck and a South Championship this Fall!

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I am never concerned with the defense in Spring. I can’t think of a single time in the Whitt era where people gush about the offense in April. This is the most satisfying and hopeful news I can remember from Football. Wynn 2010 comes to mind for me where I was confident about the offense carrying the team a little. 

FtheY
        Ute Fan
        @fthey

OnlyU – I did not watch the scrimmage, but I think the key words you said were “relentless” and “offense” in the same sentence. That was music to my ears. 

I would love to see a confident and productive offense. I always think of Oregon in their heyday. You could grind out 80 yard drive to take they lead. They would say oh, cute, and strike back with a touchdown of their own in 42 seconds like it was nothing. How demoralizing. I want to be THAT offense. How far do we have to go to get there? 

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Have an alumni invent some new shoe line to rival Nike and then become a cashcow for the university is how far away Utah is. 

Onlyu
          Ute Fan
          @uf8fl

Confident and productive absolutely but Oregon in their heyday?? Haha. I’m not sure we’ll ever get to that point but we’re incredibly close to having a multiple offense with experience, speed, talent and depth and with weapons left and right. I’d like to see 2 more high quality “4 star” type receivers added next year so there is no drop off with injuries or fatigue and continued OL depth…always seem to have 6 but we need 8 there. Taylor’s philosophies (if successful) and guys like Huntley and Tuttle should make that a lot more achievable for the first time since probably Urban’s two years. Thing is most of our big talent is young and returns even next year.

If things go they way they should the next few years this offense will be easy to sell and something kids will want to be a part off – recruiting should hold strong in the low 30’s and maybe with a South Championship into the Top 20. I think it’s on this staff now…players, experience, facilities, status and opportunity is there. Put them in the right positions to succeed and that next rung is entirely reachable.

Time to make it happen and I’m not saying we’re going undefeated but 9-3 and even 10-2 type seasons the next two years should be highly possible.

FtheY
            Ute Fan
            @fthey

Oregon in their heyday is a tall order for sure. Thanks for the breakdown of a couple more solid oline guys and some elite receiving talent. 

NarfUte
      Ute Fan
      @narfute

I’ll add my thoughts:

Tuttle’s first drive he botched a handoff and had a turnover. Probably had his ball batted down at the line 3 or 4 times to boot. He’s going to be a great one, but you can tell the college game hasn’t slowed down for him yet. Shelley is right there with Tuttle – from just this limited viewing he’s probably QB2 and Tuttle will RS. Tuttle got more reps so we’ll see how the fall shakes outt. Both backups were bailed out a couple times by really great grabs by the WR

Huntley started the scrimmage going ~6/6 marching down the field for a TD. As the scrimmage went on, it seemed like the D started playing much better (Particularly the secondary) Huntley threw 1 INT in the red zone but it should have been caught by Jalen Dixon. That said, Dixon had a great scrimmage. Also saw some good plays by Nacua. The WR’s should be solid this year.

Moss is going to be great this year. Runs with so much confidence and power. TJ Green and Shyne will be good change of pace backs.

The D-line had several plays where they just dominated the O-line and pressured the QB (Expected at Utah I guess) That said, the qb’s threw some good balls under pressure.

Watched Hansen at LB for a few plays, there was one run where it seemed like he was undecided on his gap assignment and Moss got 10+ yards. Had Hansen hit where it looked like he should have been it wouldn’t have gone anywhere (This was the first drive I think)

The two kickers are still the best in the country. Gay hit a practice FG right down the pipes from ~53, would have been good from 60+ Gay missed the next one ~57. Chayden Johnston looked solid too. Kind of crazy he missed one kick and his “backup” went on to win the Lou Groza

Cool seeing Gary back out there coaching for Utah 

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Thanks to all who posted their scrimmage thoughts. Thanks to you, I’m sporting a 3/4 chubb right now.

FtheY
        Ute Fan
        @fthey

60% of the time, it works every time. 

ladyinred
        Ute Fan
        @ladyinred

Who is the weirdo that thumbed down this post? Ew. 

GameForAnyFuss
          Ute Fan
          @gameforanyfuss

Better question: Who are the five weirdos that thumbed up this post? Ew.

DrJazzy
      Ute Fan
      @docute

Great wrte-up, was curious how they looked today. Can’t wait for the season to start. Gooooooo Utes!!

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football My impressions of today's scrimmage.