My thoughts on returning seniors

Viewing 3 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I am not the coach nor am I really in the know.  These are just my thoughts on some of our seniors.  I believe all could technically stay based on the Covid waiver.  However, we know some must go to make room for our new class.

– Bentley – Thank him for coming to Utah and showing a lot of guts, then say goodbye.

– Lisk – He ended his career on a HIGH note.  Good for him.  He should now move on.

– Max Tupai – He is a good (not great) player, but it’s time for him to move on and make room for the next guy IMO.

– Umana – I hope he can come back.

– Nacua – I like Nacua.  He got injured early and was not able to compete.  I hope there is room for him to return.

– Vonte Davis – I like what I saw this year.  I think he should be invited to return.

– Bam – Never lived up to his potential.  Unless I am missing something, we should make room for the next guy.

– Petutau & Moala – Unless we have guys to step in immediately, it might be wise to have them stay.

– Lloyd – He is only a Junior, but I hear rumor he may leave.  I would like him to stay and teach the new kids.  But, we may have the depth that it won’t hurt as much.

– Kuithe – Like Lloyd, I hear that he may consider moving on.  I certainly hope not.  We can use him and I think he can use another year of development.

We probably don’t have room for any of the other seniors I did not mention.

Go Utes!!!

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Lloyd will get good consult on his draft value. IMHO, as a couch rider coach, Kuithe needs at least one more full year with a QB that can consistently throw him a pass. At the moment, looks like Utah is stacking up on guys that can get it done at QB. Fun times!

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

Have we figured out if the new Lloyd is related to our current LB?  If so that may figure in some.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

I asked on 247 and the answer I got was no.

mesovanhorny
          Ute Fan
          @mesovanhorny

The profiles for both Elisha & Devin show parents with the same name and both are from the San Diego area.  Pretty sure they are brothers, but I could be wrong.

Son of Joe Lloyd and Ronyta Johnson

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Kuithe is not going to leave. UNLESS his brotha is done. If his twin wants to play another year I think he sticks around one more year.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

I expect Bam will come back only if they think he is one of the top three tackles. Otherwise, they move on to developing players with more than 1 year to realize benefit. Odd that he didn’t see time this year, if he does not have health issues it is not a good sign.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

i’m not sure why i keep seeing that we are going to “run off” seniors. next year’s scholarship limit is 105 but it will drop back quickly to 85. essentially it’s a one year reprieve. if a senior wants to come back and compete for a spot, it doesn’t hurt anyone. and it makes a whole lot more sense than bringing in extra bodies who would create roster issues down the road because they have more eligibility.

the way i see it, we’ll just have a bigger senior class next year but won’t be allowed to replace them all.

Charlie
          Ute Fan
          @charlie

Don’t think he is run off.  If he doesn’t have a chance to play, I don’t know if he wants to do another year.  I am thinking seniors that don’t see a path to playing time may choose to do something else.

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

some guys just aren’t capable of making that connection that allows them to fully realize their potential. it’s not always about work ethic, coaching, etc. if just “trying harder” was the key, every top athlete would be All-Pro.

without being at practices or sitting in on the meetings, none of us really know what the coaches are working on with him. incredible size but his only playing football for a couple of years could be indicative of him being more of a project than originally thought. once he got to play against similarly talented players, he didn’t fare well.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football My thoughts on returning seniors